After months…finally here

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum After months…finally here

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sprite

It is distressing to hear of such happenings no matter where they occur.
    Last year I purchased property in the San Ramon area where I will build and retire. I have stayed on several occasions in San Ramon and have explored the surrounding area. I am a fluent spanish speaker and also spent many hours talking with the locals around my property. I currently live in Miami and so am somewhat educated on the dangers of big cities. It is virtually the same no matter what country we are talking about.
    My take on Costa Rican crime is that it is highly localized in certain high population centers and to some extent, is exaggerated because of the recent increases in levels. San Jose, of course, and Jaco are mentioned a lot when speaking of crime but even those places don’t seem to have the crime that Miami has. And remember, there is very little in the way of a police force in Costa Rica whereas the police are legion in the States.
    Anywhere money, poverty and high population meet, I think you will find pockets of crime. However, I remain unconcerned about crime in the San Ramon area. With minor precautions, ie; keeping a few dogs and people at the home, developing close ties with neighbors and getting to know as many faces as possible, I believe a tranquil, happy life can be had there.
    I wish you well where you are now. Perhaps this is behind you.

Sprite

I could not have said it any better.. right on the money.. thanks

harlon

artedwards

I too agree, you find crime everywhere if you look for it. I do plan to carry and have the proper paper work for a concealed weapon. Knowing one has their own personal protection gives one a certain advantage, you don’t look for trouble but you can look around with clearer mind, you can see trouble before it sees you. I also will not pull a weapon to threaten, if I do pull the weapon it will be used, too many people have been injured by threatening with a firearm and have no intension of using it. That is foolish, you give off a certain air that says “I’m a coward and can’t follow through”. A tough person will see that right away. Carry if you must but know what to do if you need too, don’t hesitate, it will cost you your life or worse your wife’s life.
    Art

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.