Anyone been to Jamaica that settled in CR?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Anyone been to Jamaica that settled in CR?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brownms

I am just curious if anyone there has experienced JA & CR. Would like to read what you think as far as comparisons, likes/dislikes etc.
    I was born in Jamaica, moved to US in mid 70’s. Have gone back several times but have never been to CR. Living in 3rd world country would not be new to me. I appreciate and miss the lifestyle and the people (most of which are very nice). That being said the crime in Jamaica and the questionable school system, added to unstable government, makes moving back there a scary thought. Not when we have a six year old to consider.
    We are going to visit CR next summer and will attend an ARCR seminar. Also plan to do a lot of looking around. We have read a lot of the posts here. I know we would have to judge for ourselves once down there but am curious to read the opinions others may have.
    Thanks,

LVLazarus

I’ve been to Jamaica, but only on a vacation several years ago. With your question, a few things spring to mind in attempt to make comparison. (In CR)No hurricanes, no military presence, no Bob Marley, and little-to-no Spanish. Many Jamaican’s immigrated here years ago for work and the cultural imprint is still quite evident on the Caribbean side. I think you will find many similarities on several levels as well as a few differences. I lived for a time on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands (Pacific)and something about CR always reminds me of that place. I can’t speak for the educational system although it seems to be as variable as anywhere else. You would definitely need to do your own exploring and research, but I suspect you will feel a familiarity with CR as I have.

lyncota
    Participant

Definitely check out the Caribbean coast. The website http://puertoviejosatellite.com has alot of info about the area. I know there is an International School in Cahuita if the public school system is not to your liking and there are other options in Puerto Viejo as well.

chetohrt

My wife is also from Jamaica and in fact we just returned from a visit to
    Port Antonio and Montego Bay several weeks ago. I would also suggest that you visit
    the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. We did, and ended up buying a House in Cocles,
    near Puerto Viejo. The area reminded my wife of Jamaica as it was in the 60’s
    and 70’s. WeLovecostarica.com archives have several interesting articles on
    this area.

brownms

Thanks for the input. Just curious.

I am British born of JA parents and lived in JA for over 20 years before returning to the UK and I now live in the Middle East. My husband is British and we will be visiting CR next May on a fact finding mission to see if this is somewhere that we would like after leaving the ME.

With regards to the JA situation, I have already done my home work and come to a definite conclusion about a number of things. Whilst we love the island and it will always be home for me and we love the west coast and if things were different we would consider relocating to the Negril area. Now the odds, high crime/murder rate, lack of environmental awareness, health care and general well being – with the later being of major concern. The level of corruption is very widespread and it is almost impossible to get anything done with paying someone off, and as a ‘foreigner’ you are a huge target. Real estate in the decent up and coming areas is seriously expensive and is no cheaper than Europe or the US, and all the houses have burglar bars and most well established people (private citizens) are armed with a fire arm for personal security. Armed police with high powered weapons are visible in a lot of the public areas.

We don’t know what CR will be like, but we would like to live somewhere that is relatively safe, easily accessible, with good health care and comfortable standard of living. Where we live in the ME it is very safe, and we have grown accustomed to that and we would like to enjoy that same level of security in a more laid back atmosphere.

On another note, I have read several articles about the Caribbean region of CR and the reviews have not been that positive. Reference has been made to the JAs that are settled there and it clearly indicates that whilst the vibe is nice, there is another side to it that is somewhat undesirable, and that it is far and remote from all the day to day necessities.

I would love to keep in contact with you on a personal basis. If you don’t mind we could swap personal email addresses so we could keep in touch after your trip to CR,

brownms

I appreciate the information. The last time we went to Jamaica was in 2006. We stayed in Ocho Rios as we had taken my grandfather home to bury him.
    Negril has gotten outrageous. The entire island, it seems to me, has just gotten worse. This is sad.
    My e-mail address is brownms03@yahoo.com
    I welcome any new friends from this forum. We will be going down once school is out next year.
    At first my daughter was adamant that she did not want to move. I showed her a few pictures and spoke to her about the differences between here and there…good and bad. She is now open to visiting and check it out. Too cute.
    My husband comes home tomorrow from Iraq. Yayyyy! Just for two weeks but bettter than nothing.
    My namis Martine but go by Tina. Hope to year from you.

tazman

Costa Rica rules, hands down! Having been to Jamaica only once it is difficult to be completely fair as we stayed at a resort and only left the grounds on one occassion due to the harrassment of locals both at the beach and in town and on a tour. However, it is very different in CR. We have been to CR about 8 or 9 times and are currently selling our home and liquiding assest to relocate to CR. We plan to move by early Jan/2010. Our 11yr old daughter is very excited and we are not at all concerned for safety or education as there are many options in all areas of CR, local schools are good and private schools are a challenge for transportation depending on the area you choose. My husband and I would strongly suggest that you spend some time travelling the areas of CR that appeal to you before you buy…rent in the area you like and then decide. You also have the option to home school while your child is learning spanish and then attend a local school for social development. Your options are endless, but remember that research is invaluable.

brownms

I hope your move is a smooth one. Please let me know how it goes and where you will be settling. Our daughter will be 11 by the time we are able to move.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.