Anyone had experience with Arden shipping?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Anyone had experience with Arden shipping?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scara

I took Scott’s advice and contacted Arden about shipping a car to cr..after telling them i was flexible on time and place and after giving her my zip code addreess, the make and model number of the car… she didn’t even know it was an automatic transmission! they don’t even make a standard in that model.

She didn’t know if it was front wheel drive..and after suppling everything but my social security # and finger prints Now they want the vehicle identification number! they never heard of a Mitsubishi galant in C.R.? they don’t KNOW that it’s an automatic transmission..

does the shipping cost really rely that much on whether it’s front or real drive? Has anybody had any experience with this company? surely it’s not necessary to give a V.I.N. # just to get a price quote!!!

tx500sl

It is only necessary to provide a VIN if you want an ‘accurate’ quote. Mitsubishi makes many versions of the Galant. Some are for the Japanese market, while others are for other Asian markets, European markets, etc. I used Arden’s company (Ship Costa Rica) to bring my car here, and it was a seamlessly smooth transaction. There were no surprises. The car arrived in the exact same condition in which it left Texas. I would be far mare concerned about anyone in the shipping business who DIDN’T want to know the VIN of your vehicle. The VIN is the means by which a vehicle is classified for import, and there can be substantial differences in duties. I’m a bit puzzled about why you would not want to provide that number. It’s an absolute necessity.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t quite see why a international shipping company has to know the differences between the hundreds of thousands of models of cars that are out there but yes! They would need the VIN# to establish import taxes which they have absolutely no control over but which they would need to give you an accurate quote.

You will find that Arden will be happy to provide you with DOZENS of references of satisfied customers that you can contact to verify that they have done a great job for many people moving to Costa Rica.

Just give them the information they are asking for and let them do your job – they’re professionals.

Lastly, and I hope that you will please forgive me for saying so but if you are the type of person that constantly questions the reason for everything that a service provider requests, Costa Rica may not be the best place for you because you will be asked for documents on a regular basis where you will be thinking ‘what on earth do they need that for?’

Just go with the flow and unless it’s totally out of whack, give them the information that they request…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

scara

well, scott it’s like this..I’ve had cars repaired, towed rented and sold, and NEVER did i need to give a VIN number for them to know WHICH car i was talking about!!…they even had to ask me if it was 4 wheel drive and had an automatic transmission…maybe it’s a language thing or maybe it’s just a sample of the miles of red tape i hear so much about, when talking about COSTA RICA..remember i was just trying to get AN ESTIMATE..BALL PARK FIGURE thats all..several e mails later it was clearer and i can’t say they weren’t patient.. something we NEW YORKERS are not and need to be more of..lol…we also are used to watching out for scams so naturally something as personal as a vin seemed like an awful lot when it was never necessary when identifying what i was driving before…the ineternet makes me nervous,,,you yourself said don’t give out e mails if you don’t want to be bombarded by junk mails!

OTTFOG

Scara,
    I assure you that when your cars were repaired, towed, rented, and sold, the people involved HAD to have the VIN. As others mentioned, there may be models of Galants that are shipped into Costa Rica that DO have manual transmissions and four wheel drive, not to mention diesels. Did you know that while Toyota LandCruiser in the US refers to a large Sport Utility with newer models having V-8s and full time four wheel drive. In parts of Central America, it is a “line” of vehicles. There are Trucks and wagons, and SUVs so if you told someone down there you had a LandCruiser, it could mean a lot of different things to different people. By the way, your VIN is public information and not personal at all. In fact, with your full name and the city you live in I can give you your VIN… I wish you the best of luck in your travels to Costa Rica. If you plan to spend much time there you will find patience is a needed virtue and flexibility is a way of life…
    Jerry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.