Anyone interested in driving to CR around the end of July?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Anyone interested in driving to CR around the end of July?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kevin.smith

Het TR,be safe with the travels,a friend was in nuevo progresso near south padre island tx a few days ago,and the locals there are telling the tourist’s to leave before dark due to the zetas doing random drivebys. Laredo should be alright during the day and definitely stay on the toll roads as long as you can.Dont forget to buy mexico insurance for the vehicle,last time I drove in mex we got to the border at 5a.m. and by 7am we were on the road to puerto vaallarta.I realize you are headed due south you should make san luis potosi in 8 hrs from laredo.here’s a link with maps.http://www.virtualmex.com/mexico_state_map.htm

wspeed1195

friggin awesome Kev.

ticorealtor

Thats a good report!… Makes some decisions easier. I think we will push off in about a week!

kevin.smith
    ticorealtor

Today my wife and I were talking to some Mexican friends and they said we should be fine, just get across the boarder, get thru Neuvo Leon, get on the told road, get off of the roads before dark.

We might attempt this departure around the 15th or so.

kevin.smith

[quote=”ticorealtor”]Today my wife and I were talking to some Mexican friends and they said we should be fine, just get across the boarder, get thru Neuvo Leon, get on the told road, get off of the roads before dark.

We might attempt this departure around the 15th or so.[/quote]Good deal, if you’re talkin to mex locals then that says alot,You’ve actually inspired me to start looking into driving to CR for my move,from 1985 thru 2001 i drove to mex twice a year for surf,I HATE the airlines and the gestapo tactics of the TSA and a boat is too expensive,Im going to buy a 24ft enclosed trailer and pack all the families sentimentals and hit the road to SJO to the local ARCR office for my transfers,then rent in the grande area for 6 months to a year and I’m not looking back. Good luck n God Bless. Keep us posted on your endeavours.
    k

ticorealtor

Well today we decided we might start looking at other options.
    So we are going to start shipping our house hold goods and a car down to Costa Rica. Mexico is still to risky to drive with the family down. Its more than a 50/50 chance that you would get pulled over by the Zetas and not the police on the major highways from the boarder to Monterey. 🙁 So we decided to possibly forgo the road trip until next year if the situation gets better.

kevin.smith

[quote=”ticorealtor”]Well today we decided we might start looking at other options.
    So we are going to start shipping our house hold goods and a car down to Costa Rica. Mexico is still to risky to drive with the family down. Its more than a 50/50 chance that you would get pulled over by the Zetas and not the police on the major highways from the boarder to Monterey. 🙁 So we decided to possibly forgo the road trip until next year if the situation gets better.[/quote]Have you considered the bus trip from laaredo to southern mex? Some friends just got back on Sunday from a surf trip to la ticla and they had no problems at all.Not sure how buying a car in mex would work out once ya got down there,might end up being a paperwork headache.

rebetzen

[quote=”nedahall”]I want to be driving down in September. I will be alone so I really am looking forward to driving caravan. If I can’t I’ll sell my car and fly.:?:[/quote]

we are also looking to drive in September. We live in Florida, maybe we could hook up. Please advise.

rebetzen

[quote=”ticorealtor”]My family and I are driving around the 29th or so of July.

Leaving from the States, we will cross in Laredo TX[/quote]

My husband and I are thinking of driving in September, we have two dogs. Please let me know how your trip went

costaricafinca
    Participant

If you read more of the other post, you will see they decided it is too risky.
    And I totally agree!

ticorealtor

We haven’t left yet! After doing some sitting and waiting for the boarder issues, we are now looking at taking a different path. Hopefully we will be down there around the second week of September.

We were going to drive down there with our dog and cat with our 3 year old daughter. So we have to take extra precautions and planning.

kevin.smith

[quote=”ticorealtor”]We haven’t left yet! After doing some sitting and waiting for the boarder issues, we are now looking at taking a different path. Hopefully we will be down there around the second week of September.

We were going to drive down there with our dog and cat with our 3 year old daughter. So we have to take extra precautions and planning.[/quote]I’ve been trying to find a cargo ship that might take me and my family along with our 20ft container to puerto limon,not having much luck with that as of now,but i do feel it would be the best way to get there as Im deathly afraid of flying these days.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.