architect on the move to CR…

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum architect on the move to CR…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    munky

Dear Scott/everyone out there;

I would first like to say that having stumbled on the website briefly and just reviewed the whole thing this weekend and I find it is most informative and helpful to me so far. It has stimulated me to write a request for some help of a similar nature as I intend to move to CR and if anyone can assist; my first questions are these;

I am currently a registered chartered British architect some eight years now and director of a small practice in Cornwall UK at present but wish to relocate with my partner (Accountant) to CR and practice eco architecture. This I would build on my strengths in sustainable architecture and construction here and being a carpenter and builder by trade prior to studying architecture wish to also buy a site in the future and build an exemplar eco property but probably after a few years of practicing first. We have never been to CR before but have travelled a lot chasing surf around the world for years

Can anyone tell me if there are any similar good and eco professionals; architects, engineers, surveyor’s, contractors and developers that I could talk to or resource information on some of the issues for doing this? It has also been difficult so far identifying architectural resources especially?

We have booked flights to CR in November to have a good rekey of areas that would be interesting to start to settle in by renting some property we would like to find out the best resources that describe the areas of CR in detail …..that help describe/inform us the areas that we should be looking at….. given also that we are keen mountain bikers, surf, like laid back local culture, arts and crafts people as well as good professionals etc….. and obviously not far from where potential clients for eco building maybe found etc…

Any help advice will be great thanks?

Andrew
    Keymaster

The Colegio de Arquitectos de Costa Rica [ http://www.colegiodearquitectosdecostarica.com/ ] and the Colegio Federado de Ingenieros y de Arquitectos de Costa Rica [ http://www.cfia.or.cr/ ] are the best places to go to find out about architects in Costa Rica.

Needless to say that you would not be able to work as an architect in Costa Rica unless you are legally allowed and licensed to do so… Just as a Costa Rican architect would not be allowed to simply land at Heathrow Airport and start working as an architect in London.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

munky

umm, thanks for that Scott; that is so far the most unhelpful ….. so I will have to learn to read Spanish as both of those sites are written (and which I will do) before I find out what is required, who maybe of interest to talk to etc.
    …and sure…. I was expecting to land at San Jose get my pencil out and start waving it about!

grb1063

As an architect and contractor in the US and a CR traveller of 5 years, I have gone to extensive lengths to undertstand the CR design & construction system. Architects and engineers pretty much operate as a closed system, just as lawyers and doctors do. You would have to be a resident and meet all the requirements of the Colegio Federado. The US is the same, with each state having requirements for Registered Architects or an NCARB certification, which more easily allows reciprocity between states.
    Tom Rosenberger is an excellent source for developing, permitting and construction means and methods information and has numerous articles on this site. His own site is crhomebuilder.com. Another good site for an insight ito architectural fees, see CRPlans.com.

munky

Thank you for this grb: can I rack your brains further, if so please e mail: andy@rltarchitects.co.uk
    Thanks, Andy

union

Andy, I came across this page, and thought of your question: http://soyawannamove.com/costarica/jobs.shtml

Sounds difficult to get a licence if you didn’t go to university in Costa Rica…

But maybe a way to make money could be to design and develop your own properties and sell them. I’m guessing you’d need to have local architects sign off on the plans.
    If it was me I’d find it a lot more exciting and creative to work with my own vision rather than trying to satisfy clients. You would need some capital of course… but it could start on a small scale with a very modest size but very functional vacation home. There has got to be so many expats/vacationers that are looking for something inexpensive and don’t need a big house.

I’m not a professional but I’m obsessed with design and architecture, would love to meet up with you in Costa Rica when you get there! I’ll keep your email if you don’t mind.

clarkkent

Just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on crplans.com, I went to their website and read their information and have to say in my opinion that they are clearly out to lunch! The way they have laid out how the fee structure works is both not a true picture nor do I feel it is even honest. No Tico has or ever will pay the amounts indicated. I mean come on here $83,000 dollars in architect fees to build a 2500 sq ft house… you would have to be drunk to think that is either realistic or even ethical. the even say that they are giving you a deal at that price because it is actually over a $100,000 dollars. The fees are not even close to that much in the USA or Canada. Scott I hope you read this post and go to the site crplans.com and check out how insane this recomendation is… surely that kind of info has no place on a site like this. I am no expert on Costa Rica but I can sure see a con when I see one!!!!!!!!!!

harvcarp

Also refer to his website: http://www.die-trying.com
    He has built but has not sold anything that we know of yet!

Harvey

rafaelo

Hi I was curios and went to their web site and downloaded their PDF document with the Architectural fees examples, I believe you got confused with their prices, what they are saying is that the normal architectural fees for a 2500sq. feet home are 119k$ and they charge 35K$ so you have a “savings” of 84k$ if you go with them… I don’t know them nor I have ever build a home or been in CR yet, so I have no idea if 35K$ for a 2500sq. feet home in architectural fees is a normal amount or else..but 119K$ sure is an exaggeration, at least for a normal folk like me. take care.

Rafael

union

Nonetheless, 35K is outrageous to pay for architectural fees!
    We recently worked with an architect in San Diego, California and the fees where going to be $5000 for a 1500 sqft home.

The construction costs were going to be between $100-$150 per sqft depending on finishes. I wonder when I see construction costs in Costa Rica that rival those here. Sure there is cheap Mexican labor here, but they still get $10/hour, not 1$/hour like in Costa Rica.

vbcruiser

I am a retired contractor from Canada and lived here four years now. I get permits for foreigners. SETENA, MINAE, Muni, all of those agencies. I have dealt with many members fo the CFIA. I have submitted formal complaints about architects to the CFIA and won!

Those fees you are referring to are set this way:

Architect#1 charged a gringo $5,000. The gringo paid. Architect#1 told Architects#2 through #2000.

Architect#2 charged the next gringo $10,000. The gringo paid. And so on. That’s how this works.

The members of the CFIA use their fee schedule to fool gringos. I pay my architect what I think his fees should be for a particular project. He completes his architect’s contract any way he wants, moves those fee schedule percentages around until they fit what I am paying him.

My architect lives in Santa Cruz about an hour or so from most of the places I am involved in. He gets $100 per inspection. Period! He works on my terms, as do all the other people involved with me.

Your architect fees depend on how complicated your building is to design and draw, not on the square feet or meters. Give me a description of your project and I can tell you how much you should pay.

Whatever you do, DO NOT pay anyone 50% down, on anything! They all want 50% before they start. Pay them nothing until you receive something of value from them. That’s how I do it and it works.

Remember it’s your project, your money and your the guy who is going to have deal with all the problems once they squeeze the last dollar out of you and flee. Once you pay someone in Costa Rica, their gone.

Good luck.

ocasocerro

I too am an architect and about to begin construction on our lot in CR. As mentioned, you would not be able to practice as an architect but could start a firm, hire Ticos and manage the firm only. Architect’s fees in CR are supposed to be governed by the Colegio Federado de Ingenieros Y Architectos and is 10.5% of the estimated construction costs. With that said, our architect did not charge us that amount, but a lesser percentage of what turned out, a much lower estimate of construction than the actual. I did all the design work and he did all the permit drawings and engineering. In addition, he will make weekly inspections as we will not be there full time to look after construction. I would recommend him too. Best of luck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.