Bank account in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bank account in CR

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sstarkey

[quote=”srigsby”][quote=”sstarkey”]I pay $25 per transfer. It’s a drop in the bucket really.[/quote]

May I ask what bank you use? We have wired funds to our lawyer a few times from the US and our bank charges $45 and the receiving end charges $50. This adds up fast. Anyone use paypal to send money?[/quote]

Charles Schwab. I also get free ATM Withdrawals here with their High Yield checking account. This is helpful because sometimes I simply pay my guys in cash if the invoice amounts aren’t too high (I refuse to risk carrying large sums of cash around).

Also, I generally do NOT reimburse my Lawyer/Architect/Builder for their incoming wire fees when I send money – I am firm that I’m not responsible for their banking fees which are out of my control. To wit: $50 for an incoming wire is insane! My US Credit Union charges me $10 for incoming wires from overseas. Yup, that’s in the US and not CR, but again, I refuse to make it “my problem” if CR banks charge ridiculous fees.

Purvis

[quote=”sstarkey”][quote=”srigsby”][quote=”sstarkey”]I pay $25 per transfer. It’s a drop in the bucket really.[/quote]

May I ask what bank you use? We have wired funds to our lawyer a few times from the US and our bank charges $45 and the receiving end charges $50. This adds up fast. Anyone use paypal to send money?[/quote]

Charles Schwab. I also get free ATM Withdrawals here with their High Yield checking account. This is helpful because sometimes I simply pay my guys in cash if the invoice amounts aren’t too high (I refuse to risk carrying large sums of cash around).

Also, I generally do NOT reimburse my Lawyer/Architect/Builder for their incoming wire fees when I send money – I am firm that I’m not responsible for their banking fees which are out of my control. To wit: $50 for an incoming wire is insane! My US Credit Union charges me $10 for incoming wires from overseas. Yup, that’s in the US and not CR, but again, I refuse to make it “my problem” if CR banks charge ridiculous fees.

[/quote]

This may no work NOW; however 3 to 4 years ago I went to a local lawyer to do a car transfer. On inquiry, she ALSO gave me a letter which permitted me to do [b]whatever[/b] I wanted INCLUDING opening a bank account! Purvis

maravilla

banking laws changed on july 1 of this year.

sprite

I am also inquiring into this matter. Banks do pretty much what they want to everywhere and I was told by my CR bank two years ago, after they closed my account, that they do not open accounts based on passports.

I am confused. You can start the pensionado process while living in the States but in order to maintain a cedula after approval, I understand that you must exchange at least $1000 per month or $12000 per year into colones with a CR bank. How can this be done without a CR bank account?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”]. . .I understand that you must exchange at least $1000 per month or $12000 per year into colones with a CR bank. How can this be done without a CR bank account?[/quote]

When you become established here, and when you have jumped through the many bureaucratic hoops, you may be able to open an account in a Costa Rican bank. Failing that, you can withdraw U.S. Dollars from a Costa Rican ATM and take them inside the bank to exchange for colones. Just be sure that the teller puts your name, the date, the exchange rate, and your cedula number on your receipt.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.