Beware 1-costaricalink.com (notice the dash)

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Beware 1-costaricalink.com (notice the dash)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lv2trvlmo

Hello, I just wanted to warn those about a Costa Rican merchant that has given us headaches for 9 months…the Maleks and 1-costaricalink.com (notice the dash!)

I hate posting negative things, but others should be aware of what is going on.

Long story short, Chase Bank decided to side with the merchant because we didn’t “cancel” with the merchant. Never mind the fact we couldn’t get ahold of them for 6 months before they “disputed our dispute” for the double charges on our Visa card. Below is the letter sent directly to the office of the president at Visa.

I know it is long, but it is everything we have gone through in the last 9 months because of this merchant.

I hope this helps someone else in our shoes, or keeps someone from making the same mistake we did in booking through this company.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

August 8, 2007

RE: Disputes against 1-CostaRicaLink.com and Chase Bank

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in response to the phone conversation I had with Gina (Operator # PO47) on 7 August 2007. It regards disputes made against a fraudulent merchant, and your representative bank’s unsatisfactory actions and decision in this matter.

Allow me to start at the beginning. My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and wanted to do something special; a vacation in Costa Rica sounded perfect. We found a vacation package we liked on the website http://www.1-costaricalink.com (notice the dash, this will become very important). We contacted the merchant in December of 2006 and had several email contacts when we authorized payment for their “7 Best Tours in 9 Days” tour package.

Initially we were told in an email dated 20 December 2006 in an email response that they would charge my credit card $1,000 in December, and another $998 plus the extra hotel nights for a total of $1,326 in May (see enclosed copy of email correspondence including this message). Bringing the grand total owed to $2,326.

We were sent prepaid vouchers for the tours we booked, the hotels in which we were to stay, and the shuttling back and forth (see enclosed vouchers). These vouchers state they are “100% prepaid” and the merchant “will be closely available to us for what ever needs we may have.”

Then we discovered my account was charged $1049.63 on 18 December 2006, and another $1049.44 on 20 December 2006 (see enclosed statement with these charges). When I discovered I was charged more that the agreed amount, I was alarmed! I immediately considered this a violation of contract, fraudulent, and proceeded to demand an explanation from the merchant (see enclosed copies of emails). Yet they would not answer the emails we sent, and the phone numbers listed on the merchant’s website and/or vouchers would not go through. No merchant had ever done this to me before.

Additional research uncovered this merchant’s propensity for this kind of fraudulent activity (see attached web complaints regarding this company). Apparently, they are notorious for sending prepaid vouchers to the customer; only to have the customer arrive in Costa Rica and find them invalid.

I was unofficially disputing the whole contract then, but since I could get no response from the merchant, I continued the dispute with the credit card company. Seeing all of these red flags, we decided it was time to contact your representative bank (Chase) on 21 March 2007 to dispute these charges. I was assigned Terri Anderson for Case Identifier 76113556. Since I had already made full payment to Chase for charges accrued, like I always do, it was a challenge to simply have the charges credited back to my account. It was actually suggested we fly to Costa Rica and if the charges were indeed fraudulent, “rebook” something while down there and turn in the receipts for reimbursement. This would not do; it is not like we were going to Disneyland and could simply rebook something else. I told Terri to please cancel our reservations if she could get in touch with this merchant.

Terri called the two hotels that according to our “prepaid” voucher, we were to have been staying. The reservations at one hotel had not been made and neither had been paid for. She could not find the company “Macro Tours” anywhere, nor should make contact with the merchant regarding these charges.

Additionally, Terri contacted Forrest Geiger with http://www.1CostaRicaLink.com (notice no dash), and discuss how the other merchant operated. Forrest has inadvertently received many of these complaints and has an entire file dedicated to this issue. He has posted some on his website and I have printed and included some of them with this packet. I would encourage you to do the same. He can be reached at 011-506-288-5862.

Terri determined that the following terms were to have been met by Joern and Angela Malek with 1-CostaRicaLink, but were not:

– We were to be charged $1,000 in December, and the remaining $1,300 in May. We were charged $2,000 in December.
    – The vouchers we received were supposed to have been prepaid. However, one of the hotels had not been reserved, and neither had been paid for. Macro Tours does not exist, and the vouchers we received were invalid.

Terri then recommended the initial $2,038.02 be credited back to our account (see enclosed letter dated 27 April 2007), and further recommend my husband and I make alternative arrangements. The letter from Chase Bank states that the merchant has the opportunity to claim the validity of these charges, in which case we will be recharged this amount. Since neither myself nor Terri had been able to contact the merchant, we thought all of this was behind this and we could celebrate our 10th anniversary in Costa Rica without worry.

However, on 13 June 2007 I received a phone call from Tachika Davis with Chase Bank’s Representative Department stating that the merchant, 1-CostaRicaLink.com, claimed these were valid charges and Chase recharged my account.

I called Tachika on 14 June 2007 and she stated the merchant’s bank is fighting our dispute because we never cancelled. I tried reminding her that once we authorized the merchant to charge my credit card, we could not get in contact with them to address the red flags that popped up, prompting us to contact Chase’s Dispute Department…who could not contact them either!

Additionally, I then received my credit card statement showing that 1-CostaRicaLink.com charged an additional $1,387.28 on 17 May 2007 (see enclosed statement). This was done WHILE WE WERE DISPUTING THE PREVIOUS CHARGES FROM THIS MERCHANT! Tachika said they could not stop a merchant from charging the card, even if we were currently disputing previous charges with this merchant. This was the week before leaving for our trip and it was now hanging over our heads. I called and left a message for Tachika on 15 June 2007 informing her we were going to be out of the country and we would like to have this resolved before we returned.

We took our vacation, we were supposed to have been picked up at the airport, and nobody from the original merchant was there to shuttle us to the hotel as promised. If we had never cancelled, shouldn’t there have been someone there as promised? Additionally, as part of the alternate arrangements, we did stay at one of hotels 1-CostaRicaLink were supposed to have had booked for the initial trip. They had no record of the prior reservations being made much less paid for. Does this not prove the terms of the initial agreement had not been met by the merchant as originally promised?

We returned from our vacation and I attempted to contact Tachika on 2 July 2007 for an update on this situation. I again reminded her that this merchant broke initial contract/agreement, the dispute department researched the situation and determined these were fraudulent charges. She said she would review and either she and/or a supervisor would get back with me. Nobody returned my phone call.

Also on 2 July 2007 I contacted Chase Bank’s Dispute Department and began the process of disputing the additional $1,387.28 charged on 17 May 2007. We were assigned Susan Govelitz (Case Identifier 79319160). We resubmitted paperwork (enclosed) showing what we were promised, and what we did…or in this case didn’t…receive.

Also at this time I spoke with Denise with the Fraud Department to get that account number cancelled and a new account issued to prevent further fraudulent charges made by this merchant.

I attempted to contact Tachika again on 5 July 2007. Again leaving her a message, asking for an update to the situation. Deana called back to let me know Tashika was out of the office but would call me back when she returned. I told Deana the story as well. Deana found a note that Tashika needed evidence of cancellation or paperwork…which Deana found in the initial dispute paperwork…and said she would pass this on to Tashika, and recommended Tashika speak with Terri. I received no return phone call from Tachika.

I called Terri Anderson on 11 July 2007 since she was familiar with the situation. Terri said she knew Tachika and would talk to her and would explain the situation.

I called Tachika again on 11 July 2007 and left another message requesting an update to the situation, and that due to a family emergency, I would be out of town for the next two weeks. I never received a phone call.

While I was handling the family emergency, I received a letter dated 19 July 2007 (enclosed) stating Chase would be charging our account the initial charges made in December 2006. This decision was based on lack of evidence that we attempted to cancel these services. Let me again point out that for nearly six months neither myself nor Chase’s Dispute Department were able to contact this merchant. The only time we heard from the merchant was when they had to pay back the money for services they had never rendered.

I had my husband again fax all of the email conversations between us and the merchant in December 2006, and copies of the email attempts to contact them regarding the “double charge” in December.

I returned home and attempted to call Tachika on 30 July 2007, leaving a message at my displeasure with their decision, and to please return my phone call. I received no phone call.

I called and left a message with Terri Anderson on 31 July 2007 asking for assistance because Tachika was not returning our phone calls.

Frustrated with the lack of communication on Chase Bank’s end, I called Chase on 31 July 2007 determined to speak to a supervisor. I was referred to Matt (did not give last name). I explained what had happened up to this point and expressed our frustration with the lack of communication. He promised the issue would be reviewed and someone would call us within 24-48 hours.

On 1 August 2007 Tachika finally returned our phone call and said the new information was being reviewed. I reminded her the merchant broke the initial agreement and we shouldn’t be arguing an issue of cancellation. We tried for three months, Terri tried to contact the merchant to no avail. I told her this fraudulent merchant needs to be stopped…AND SHE AGREED. I said if they appreciated my business they needed to help me. She said a new letter would be sent with their decision.

Based on the previous day’s conversation, we faxed additional information concerning the fraudulent nature of this merchant to other individuals on 2 August 2007.

On 5 August 2007 we received a letter from Carolyn Zamba with Chase Bank dated 2 August 2007 (enclosed) stating they have again thoroughly researched my dispute and have no further resources to recover the funds and charges must be considered valid. Additionally, they have informed the credit reporting agencies that my account is in dispute.

I called and left a message for Carolyn on 6 August 2007 asking for further clarification. We have yet to receive a return call.

At this point we were frustrated with the constant dead ends and lack of support for one of their Disney Rewards Charter Cardmember Customers, and decided to contact Visa directly. I called Visa on 7 August 2007 and was referred to Gina. I explained our situation to her and she recommended we write this letter and send the enclosed information to you.

Chase Bank indicated several times either in written correspondence that they value me as a customer. However, their lack of communication appears to contradict that. The second dispute of $1,387.28 charged in May? I have never been informed regarding the status of this disputed charge. I have not received a letter or a phone call that this additional amount would be available or unavailable to my credit limit. I can only suspect from the customer service automated response that this charge is still on my account.

However, “canceling” should not what this is about. There are two basic premises that this merchant violated. First, the merchant told me when I made the reservation that they would charge half now and half later. They then proceeded to take all the money upfront, six months in advance, this which was one of my first concerns. Then they sent me “prepaid” vouchers that state the services for which they were to be redeemed where already paid for…PREPAID. Chase Bank’s Dispute Department found evidence that this was not the case. Additionally, the merchant promised they would be closely available to help us, but was conveniently unavailable for six months.

I believe it is about a violation of a contractual agreement. I have a right as a credit card holder to know how much of my credit card line is available to me. This merchant agreed to charge only half. They then immediately violated that agreement, shortening my available credit, and I insisted on knowing why, but could not reach them; again neither could Chase’s Dispute Department.

Because, there are two points of fraud here, I believe there is no reason to do a “normal” cancellation. They violated the terms of the contract up front. The contract does not have to be cancelled. Fraud allows you to nullify it, as if it never existed.

I would think that as one of your customers, I have a right to a certain level of service. I did not receive ANY service, much less good service from this merchant (not being answered for six months is not good service, having fake vouchers in my possession, etc.).

This merchant lied; they lied twice, how can one do business with liars…how can you expect me to go on a vacation that may end in disaster, knowing that when I arrive, I will not have my reservations and the vouchers will be worthless? Why should my husband and I be subjected to that? Would you want to go on a vacation with this many red flags? This merchant is not professional.

How is Chase Bank’s decision to side with this merchant acceptable, fair, or helpful? We should not be responsible for being double charged and for services we did not receive. Terri Anderson understood this, and encouraged us to make alternative arrangements, which we did. Now we continue to be haunted for doing the right thing. Joern and Angela Malek with 1-CostaRicaLink.com broke the contact; that should have nullified the agreement and cancelled the trip right there.

Isn’t it odd we do not hear a word from the merchant for six months, then suddenly as their window is about to close, they return a phone call. No company can avoid communicating with their clients for six months and be considered trustworthy. How would Chase Bank feel if I didn’t answer them, or pay my account for six months?

We were billed again for over the initial agreed amount. This is their scam and we have submitted evidence to support this. A large company is falling for it. Chase has the resources to stop this, and I turned to them for help. They should have been able to solve the problem at that time. Since this was not done, I am contacting Visa directly.

It is understood that when dealing with a company you are to receive the goods/services you pay for. We did not receive the services, yet are being told we need to pay for them. Chase Bank’s decision indicates they choose to side with a criminal merchant. This reflects poorly on Visa, the company they represent.

Chase Bank states in their last letter they do not have the resources to recover these funds. I understand the challenges of attempting to collect these charges from a vendor that is not in the United States; particularly one from a country where the merchant account has no money to back up such disputes. Chase is holding the bag and doesn’t want to eat this money. Since they can not recover it from the merchant account they are choosing to try and collect this money from their cardholder. However, shouldn’t Chase be bonded for this kind of fraud? We have spoken to individuals at both our local bank and credit union. Both entities have indicated a bank as large as Chase would be bonded, and/or have funds to cover these charges. If nothing else, they should take better care of their customers.

I have been a Visa cardholder for over ten years. When Chase Bank offered their Disney Rewards Visa, I was more than happy to sign up. I have never been late with a payment, and always pay my balance in full. I am a charter member of this card, and have had no complaints about either Chase Bank or Visa until now. I have no problems in paying any charges to this account other than what was charged by 1-CostaRicaLink.com.

I would like to have these charges and any associated late fees, service charges, etc. associated with these charges be credited back to my account. Additionally, I would also like to have the three credit agencies listed in Chase’s most recent letter contacted to my credit history restored. I do not want my credit history to show I have a disputed account.

I am so frustrated with this entire situation, and Chase Bank’s lack of support that I am nearly ready to cancel my card and not deal with either Chase Bank or Visa again. I know this is an extreme step, and is not one that I have arrived at lightly. But why would I want to do business with a company that treats its customers in this manner?

This merchant has a history of these sorts of activities, and unfortunately, as long as they have the privilege to charge individuals’ credit cards, they will continue to rip people off. I would even advocate Visa revoke this merchant’s charging privileges. This would prevent future Visa customers from being subjected to this mess. This was supposed to be our dream vacation celebrating our 10th anniversary, and it has instead turned into a continuing nightmare.

Unfortunately, this merchant is pretty good at what they are doing and if the evidence I have sent is not enough, there are more where those came from…more everyday. This is what they do for a living…and because the merchant bank in Costa Rica doesn’t want to eat it or take away their charging privileges, people like myself (American tourists) get to pay the bill. This is shameful and it is amazing that the credit card company would have so little compassion for their card members they would just want to dispatch it like this. I would again like to emphasize contacting Forrest Geiger with 1CostaRicaLink.com (011-506-288-5862) for even more evidence and complaints against 1-CostaRicaLink.com.

I have contacted a few lawyers regarding this situation, but have held off in putting one on retainer in hopes that we can settle this matter without litigation. I would hope you would agree.

There is no way this should be going any further…this is blatant and absurd. We have been dealing with this merchant and this situation for eight months; and have spent countless hours on the phone, writing letters, and doing research regarding this merchant. It is now taking your valuable time as well. It has been very stressful having this hanging over our heads and now on my credit report. No one should have to go through this.

As suggested, I have enclosed all of the information and evidence we had previously submitted to Chase Bank. We hope this will bring a swift and satisfactory conclusion to this entire mess.

If there is any additional information you require, please do not hesitate to contact me by phone ###/###-#### (work), ###/###-#### (home); or email ######@sbcglobal.net. I also authorize my husband, Chris #######, to give any information and make any decisions. He can be contacted at work at ###/###-#### x 3167.

Thank you for your time in this matter,

Jeanine #######
    Enclosures

jrego

I was in CR earlier this year and had my credit cards (Visa & Mastercard) stolen. The crooks managed to use them before I could cancel. After filing a Fraud Dispute with my bank, the amounts were credited back to my cards. This is why we pay 18% interest to cover this type of event. I did notice you said that you always pay your cards off, I don’t know (?) maybe this has an effect?

I don’t know if you have spoken with the “manager” of the Chase Credit Card department, I would not speak with the first person who answered the phone which it sounds like what you have done. I WOULD RAISE HELL all the way to the top. I am surprised at Visa’s response. Good luck.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I too have received complaints from forum members as you can see below (name withheld, but email is on file):

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

—–Original Message—–

Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:07 PM
    To: ——–@welovecostarica.com
    Subject: 1costarica link

Scott just wanted to check if you know anything about a website 1costaricalink -flamingolink run by someone called Jorn Malek. They have unfortunately ripped me off for approx $2000 over a hotel booking in Manuel Antonio that suudenly got changed to a lower grade hotel two days after they debited my credit card.When i objected they agreed to refund me in full on 29th January and as of today I am still waiting for the refund.They have ignored all my emails and phone calls since 3rd February and my bank has assured me ther has been no attempt to refund the money debited under false pretences.Fortunately i am protected under visa card cover but maybe you should warn your members to avoid this company like the plague. I arrive in costa Rica on 28th February and will be taking any action possible to have this website exposed.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Please read very carefully as there are two websites involved and their website names are nearly identical. One website is OK, the other has been the subject of numerous complaints.

The good website that I know and trust is http://www.1CostaRicaLink.com
    The other website with numerous complaints is http://www.1-CostaRicaLink.com

The only difference between the two is the “-“

It is unfortunate that most people leave out the “-“ dash when describing their problems with 1-CostaRicaLink.com, as I do personally know the owner of the true 1CostaRicaLink.com site, without the dash. Forrest Geiger is the owner and he and his wife were neighbors of mine for quite some time.

Forrest Geiger is in no way associated with his ex-partner’s website, 1DASHcostaricalink.com, which his ex-partner started after they split.

I do know that Forrest uses reputable, licensed travel agencies to fulfill his reservation requests – he does NOT accept credit card payments and as far as I know, there are no complaints against his Forrest, his website or the travel agencies that he does business with.

In short, 1Costa is OK, and BEWARE THE DASH!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Andrew
    Keymaster

A dear Tico friend wrote to me saying:

Dear Scott: Here is an address where people could file a writing complain with any company in Costa Rica , if they feel like they have being taking for a ride, be sure to remind everyone to make photo copy of any paper work, send then with a little note explaining the best you can the situation, perhaps you won’t get the satisfaction you want, but will alert the Defensoria about that business and they will keep an eye on those companies that take advantage of our visitors. Plus will force that company to probe that what they did was the right thing.

Defensoría de los Habitantes
    dhr@dhr.go.cr
    Barrio Mexico, Calle 22, Avenidas 7 y 11,
    Telefonos: (506) 258-8585 – (506) 800-258-7474, Fax: (506) 248-2371,
    Apartado Postal / P.O.Box 686-1005 Barrio Mexico
    San José, Costa Rica 01005

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

lv2trvlmo

Thanks so much! I doubt we will get “satisfaction,” our research has indicated this agency doesn’t have much “teeth” when it comes to enforcement. However, if they can warn people before making the same mistake we did, that would be something.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.