Bringing a Car???

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing a Car???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ken

Initially I wasn’t thinking of bringing an automobile because of the import fees, but I was wondering what the rules were for an older vehicle. Is there a limit to how old a car can be? Perhaps it would be worth it to get an older vehicle and have it completely rebuilt mechanically, but with little book value?

Also, are the rules the same for a motorcycle or scooter?

Any input is appreciated.
    Ken

water4u

I also have a question about this. I would like to travel via Dual-Sport Motorcycle. Any comments?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ken, it’s my understanding that the older the car the higher the rate of Customs duty which is imposed both on the value of the car (which is less for an older car, as you say) and the costs of shipping and insurance which may be as much as for a new car. Costa Rica is not seeking out gas guzzlers or smoke belchers.

What’s more, while the car may be rebuilt before you leave, parts availability here may be very limited. It’s true that many used cars imported to Costa Rica are from the U.S., but others come from the Far East. Even though a car may be the same model year and carry the same model name, they may not be the same underneath the surface. Again, parts may be problematic.

By the time you fool around with rebuilding an older car, shipping it here, getting it through Customs and the safety and environmental checks, etc, it may be much easier to buy a good used car here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.