Bringing Pets From Florida to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing Pets From Florida to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gayleames

Hi,
    My husband and I have been two years in a row to Atenas staying in a rental (that we loved) for a month each time.

Now we are ready to come and stay a little longer or maybe 6 months. I’m having more trouble finding flights to CR from Ft Lauderdale that I can bring my 11 lb. mini doxie.

They all say they don’t fly pets international??? It’s a 2hr30min flight but it would be OK to have him on a 6 hr flt to LA??? Go figure.

Been two years without my dog and just can’t do it again espically if staying longer.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated. We fly out of Lauderdale but would be glad to go to Miami.

Pura Vida,
    Gayle

Andrew
    Keymaster

This topic has certainly been covered in some depth in our Forum Gayle… Many of our VIP Members bring dogs down here with no problems whatsoever…

Please have a good search to see if the information is not here already.

The *Discussion Forum* Search engine is at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/search.cfm ]

The *article* Search engine is at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/programs/search.cfm ]

If any of our VIP Members have new information on this topic especially from Florida to Costa Rica, please don’t hesitate to post your helpful comments here …

Scott

costaricabill
    Participant

Spirit’s web site clearly states they allow no animals on international flights, except service animals.

Have you looked into that? It really isn’t that difficult to get a dog designated as a service animal.

Jet Blue (out of Orlando) does allow up to 4 small pets (in a TSA approved container) in the cabin of their international flights. I’m sorry but the jetblue link will not work if copied into this message, but go to their website, go to HELP, and scroll down to INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, and click on PETS, then click on GENERAL INFORMATION FOR TRAVELING WITH PETS

Good luck!

alewis

Continental brings pets from all over. We flew our big dog on Delta in the cargo area without a huge hassle. Good luck.

Did you check with American out of Miamai? We plan on bringing our two cats on our move in December. I have not checked with them yet. If we have to go to Orlando for that trip we will to use Jet Blue.

rosiemaji

American out of Miami is less expensive to take pets than Continental. We have used American a lot to Fly from Tampa that connects in Miami.

rosiemaji

American accepts pets both in the cabin (if your dog is small enough to fit in a small carrier that will fit under the seat)and as checked luggage in an airline approved carrier. At 11 lbs, it may be iffy if your little dog will fit but a mini dachsund might. They also transport dogs and cats as checked luggage. If you are traveling with your pet, you just pick him up when you pick up your luggage. As long as you have the right international paperwork there will be no problem. The only caveat is that there are temperature restrictions for animals transported as checked luggage. These don’t apply if the dog goes in the cabin. When it is hot in Florida, he will not be able to fly in luggage.

jreeves

I’ve flown multiple times Miami to San Jose on American Airlines. Super easy & not as expensive as Continental.

Jessica

aguirrewar

In order for a pet to fly in the cabin the enclose (Container) in which the pet will fit in must be;

16″ long

10″ in height

6″ wide

if it fits, IT IS SHIPPED

and “NO” it cannot be stuffed into this container the pet must be alble to turn inside this space

my Dachshund is 24″ L, 10″ H and 6″ W and will FIT in this container if I used the “SARDINE” approach but unfortunately the Air Lines have the last word.

rosiemaji

A dachshund 24″ long is not a mini dachshund and would not fit or be accepted as a carry-on. Buy a 200 size vari-kennel (26″ long) and ship her as checked baggage when you fly. Stick with American Airlines for the best price. AA allows a max carry on size of 19″ x 13″ X 9″ high but your dachshund still will not fit. Just be sure the temp in Miami will not exceed 85 degrees at any stopping point including the point of departure and there are not exceptions. That pretty much cuts out any time from about mid May until about mid October. The temp cannot be below 45 degrees at any point without an acclimation report from a vet (usually can be included on the international health certificate) and not below 20 degrees with the certificate of acclimation. Check the AA website or call them for more specific details. Many people fly their cats or dogs to and from Costa Rica all the time. They just know the right times to fly, the right airline to pick and the right paperwork to get.

rosiemaji

[quote=”lauderdalekaren”]Did you check with American out of Miamai? We plan on bringing our two cats on our move in December. I have not checked with them yet. If we have to go to Orlando for that trip we will to use Jet Blue.[/quote]

I don’t think Jet Blue will ship pets as checked baggage or cargo. They only accept carry-on pets small enough to fit in an airline approved carry-on container or bag and then I think they will only allow 2 per cabin.

rosiemaji

Unless the cats are larger than the average cat, they should easily fit in the carry on bags. They must be in separate carriers. Make sure they get used to traveling in the carriers well before flying. Use hard carriers unless your cats travel very well. A freaked out cat in a soft carrier might not be a pretty sight. Airline temperature restrictions do not apply to carry-on pets.

Harperanne

[quote=”gayleames”]Hi,
    My husband and I have been two years in a row to Atenas staying in a rental (that we loved) for a month each time.

Now we are ready to come and stay a little longer or maybe 6 months. I’m having more trouble finding flights to CR from Ft Lauderdale that I can bring my 11 lb. mini doxie.

They all say they don’t fly pets international??? It’s a 2hr30min flight but it would be OK to have him on a 6 hr flt to LA??? Go figure.

Been two years without my dog and just can’t do it again espically if staying longer.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated. We fly out of Lauderdale but would be glad to go to Miami.

Pura Vida,
    Gayle[/quote]

Jet blue is wonderful. We fly out of Orlando with our 13 pound doxie and have never had a problem. She sits in her pet carrier under the seat (they even sell pet carriers and have a program called Jet Paws. I’m pretty sure they ffly out of Ft Lauderdale, but Orlando is not that far.

Harperanne

Jet Blue does charge $100 each way and you do have to have the required documentation, but we have been very happy with our experience.

ROBMOB

[[b][b][b][/b][/b][/b]quote=”Harperanne”]Jet Blue does charge $100 each way and you do have to have the required documentation, but we have been very happy with our experience.[/quote]

[size=200][/size][b][/b] What to do if u have a 100 Golden Retriever? Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.