Buying a Rental House in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying a Rental House in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Lamb

I was planning on coming down in September or October to look at buying a house to rent. Wanted to stay under 200K and also wanted to be efficient with the trips it would take to find a place etc. Was looking at two options either in the mountains around San Jose or one of the beach towns. Any suggestions – It seems as if there is a good wealth of experience around.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Two VERY different markets.

Central Valley is typically more stable, long-term rentals for families and or executives.

The beach tends to be more short-term, higher-impact rentals.

Please search the site for “rentals” and you’ll come across a few articles and take a look at

Bottom line? It’s always more complicated than you think – especially as a long distance landlord..

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Jeff Lamb

Good article – I am more in the stable long term camp.

holab

Jeff,

You may want to investigate “Tenants Rights” as they apply in CR. Very different than stateside laws. In short they are very favorable to the tenant.

ranchos

I am a broker and developer in the San Ramon area, and we have a shortage of rentals. We have had several rental houses (now sold) which have been rented almost 100% of the time, since there are: a) folks who want to live for a year before buying, and b)those who have bought and need a house for the 6-12 month building period, and c)those who just want to rent, not buy. Typical house on acre+ of land, 1,200-1,500 sq ft 3 bedroom 2 bath (which can be all built turnkey including land for under $100k), furnished (add another $3-5,000 for appliances and furniture), can be rented for $550-650 per month. Since the renters are nice retirement age folks (no kids, generally no dogs or small),the houses don´t take a beating, and they pay on time.

There are some existing Tico houses in the area that could be bought and updated as well.

Jose

Jeff Lamb

That is very interesting and sounds like something worth looking into in more detail.

tomasino

If you’re looking for a comfortable climate and a safe community to live in, check out San Antonio de Belen, Costa Rica. Here you will find all the conveniences you’re accustomed to for much less than most other communities. I have been in CR since 1992 and over the last 15 years I have had the opportunity to live on the beach in Guanacaste, in several communities around the central valley and now in a condo in the center of Belen. The climate here is very agreeable and since the sun shines most of the day it does not get cold at night. In Belen there are a variety of restaurants offering some of the best fire cooked chicken, broiled fish, Chinese, pizza and typical Tico food. The prices are lower here than in most pueblos. I eat out everyday and spend an average of 1500 colones or $2.90 for fresh cooked meals. A beer in the local bar is 500 colones or $.96 and a Johnnie Walker is 700 colones or $1.35. The municipality in Belen is very organized and keeps development under check which enables the community to stay clean. Additionally, it is one of the safest communities because it has its own Municipal Police force in addition to the Fuerza Publica and Transito officials that are present throughout the country. I walk to get everything I need in Belen and do not get stuck in traffic jambs or need to drive all over to find parking. If you want to get to know a community better, walk around as much as you can and say hola to as many people as possible to see how friendly the locals are toward you. In many pueblos it’s difficult to walk around because there is little or no infrastructure. In Belen there are handicap accessible ramps at most major intersections and ample sidewalks everywhere.

When you look in to those project check if they have furniture packages. If they don´t I can recomend you a good firm that can help you with that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.