cell phone options for local calls

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum cell phone options for local calls

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kathleen6711

Hola,

On my last visit I rented a cell phone (excluding international calls) for approx $10-$13 a day, can’t quite recall. I am returning in March and wondering if anyone knew of any other options, I have Verizon back in the States and last I spoke with them they didn’t really cover CR. I just like the convenience of being able to make local calls to some contacts or friends in CR or tourist spots without having to stop at pay phones. My house is rented out so we will be on the road more or less,

thanks,

Kathleen in Boston

grb1063

I believe that if you get an I-phone, which is only technically available from ATT until 2012, you can get coverage on CR’s 3D system. The last two UK and US acquaintances I ran into in CR with I-phones were able to get coverage in CR after notifying their carier they needed coverage and not that expensive.

Edited on Feb 15, 2009 17:55

*Lotus

I have T-Mobile and my blackberry works in CR of course the rates are high. My phone also has wi-fi built in for both calling and data so I can get all my e mails and make phone calls for free when I can pick up a wi fi signal either at a hotel, restaurant etc..The I-Phone wifi only works for data so when you can get a wifi connection you will get e mails and Internet use. But you can not make phone calls using the wifi.

kathleen6711

Thanks for your reply, (and grb1063 too!) I will probably go back to same company, it wasn’t too unreasonable and I really like the convenience of having a phone with me as I have several people to connect with especially concerning my annual property maintenance.
    Kathleen

bd97

Has anyone had experience with Carlos from “WHYNOTPHONES.com”? We have reserved a rental cell phone from him and even though he seems very professional, etc, I don’t want any surprises when we turn the phone back in.

acmilan40

Im sorry sir but you can use Skype or VoIP on your iPhone… Thats what i plan to use when i go…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.