Cell phones in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cell phones in Costa Rica

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mbrydenthal

We live in the US…but own a home in Costa Rica
    We plan to visit for 3 weeks in November…..
    We want to set up a cell phone account in Costa Rica, and have it available for when we visit….

Is there any way to set up a cell phone account while you are out of the country???

Andrew
    Keymaster

You would have to rent a cellular telephone while you are here.

In searching the internet I see http://www.cellphonescr.com/ but I have no idea how good they may/may not be…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

wmaes47

I have not found a way to setup a cell phone while you are out of Costa Rica, unless you have a friend in Costa Rica set it up for you. That Costa Rican friend will need to have a cedula and a water or electricity bill to get a phone.

Most of the information that you will need is in this thread:

https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/forum/openthread.cfm?forum=1&ThreadID=674#4746

Ask any questions.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

jrego

If you already have an Unlocked, Multi Frequency GSM cell phone. It will work in Costa Rica. Just bring it in turn it on and like magic, it works. Ours was our lifeline when we were there at the beginning of this year. We had no problems. We were in Atenas, San Ramón, San Perdo, Alajuela, Cartago and Orosi. We had perfect reception through out our visit, weather or not we were speaking with someone in Costa Rica or back home. We will be back in January and again we will bring our own phone.

Edited on Nov 08, 2006 13:49

wmaes47

Rico will meet you at the airport, when you walk out of the terminal.

I have rented many times in the past, until I received my own ICE number with my Unlocked T-Mobile phone:

http://cellulartelephonerentals.com/

Never, ever a problem with Rico and his company.

Tell him I sent you and he will scratch his head and say who… He would remember my face.

Cheers
    Bill Maes

mbrydenthal

Has anyone used Dean with http://www.renta4x4incostarica.com for a cell phone rental out of Liberia???

harvcarp

HELLO BILL

We went to ICE today with my unlocked cellphone. Everything seemed to go too smoothly, at first, but of course a problem developed when it was determined that my Motorola Cellphone modelo #V188 was not on the ICE computer list of approved phones. All the models under and over seemed to be listed!
    We then left the store (in Atenas) very short wait, and our driver inserted the chip from his Moto Cellphone into mine a made a phone call.
    It worked fine so manana we will use some other options and I will advise you then of our progress.

Pura Vida
    Harvey

jrego

I think the reason this has happened to you is because your phone is locked to your service provider. Otherwise the chip your driver inserted wouldn’t have worked either. It has been mentioned on this forum that if you are not sure if your phone will work abroad, check with your service provider before leaving home. You have a GSM phone and you should be able to use it world wide.

As I said in my previous posting, I turned my phone on in the Juan Santa Maria Airport baggage hall upon arrival and was able to call home without any problems. I never went to any ICE stores / offices to get my phone turned on and to have it work.

harvcarp

Did you have a phone number in Costa Rica for the cellphone.

Sorry, spanish keyboard and the question mark is different.

Gracias

jrego

Hi, no I was using my original Bermuda phone number.

What I found interesting was, when in Costa Rica, I didn’t have to use the 506 area code, I just dialed the local number. My phone behaved as if it was a Costa Rican phone and when I called Bermuda I had to use the 441 area code.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.