Charter Flights?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Charter Flights?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    maryfrix

Has anyone used an air charter company to fly into SJO or another relatively nearby regional airport in Costa Rica?

I ask because husband and I are wanting to rent a house for three months and would be bringing along two dogs, one of which is an English Bulldog (a breed that airlines have generally stopped transporting in cargo).

I have read that round-trip charters can be anywhere from $1700 – $13,000.

Driving is not an option. I have read about driving from the US to Costa Rica, but don’t want to deal with any issues that can arise from traveling with two dogs, any quarantines, etc. and no experience driving through Mexico to CR.

Thanks in advance.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

In 2005,I looked into chartering a flight from Charlotte, NC to San Jose. The first bid was a rather pricey $45,000 for a non-stop jet with seating for about 12. The best price I found was $25,000 for a six-passenger twin engine prop plane that would have taken about twenty hours including a fuel stop in Cuba.

We found the kitties a home and flew commercial.

maryfrix

Yes, from Charlotte I would imagine it would be beyond ridiculous to charter a flight. I am finding that $17,000 is the norm for a light jet from Texas to San Jose (2.5 hour flight) because there is no efficient way for the charter lines to formally organize interested passengers to take your “dead leg” flight back from SJO to Texas – or wherever – and vice versa.

I am unable to find if there are any cruises/charters from the Texas coast (Galveston?) to the Caribbean coast of CR.

If anyone has any info about that, I’d be interested in hearing about it. (By water this time, instead of by air). Thanks again.

sbruce

[quote=”maryfrix”]Yes, from Charlotte I would imagine it would be beyond ridiculous to charter a flight. I am finding that $17,000 is the norm for a light jet from Texas to San Jose (2.5 hour flight) because there is no efficient way for the charter lines to formally organize interested passengers to take your “dead leg” flight back from SJO to Texas – or wherever – and vice versa.

I am unable to find if there are any cruises/charters from the Texas coast (Galveston?) to the Caribbean coast of CR.

If anyone has any info about that, I’d be interested in hearing about it. (By water this time, instead of by air). Thanks again.[/quote]
    Check with American Airlines. I brought 2 American Staffordshire Terriers, from Texas, also on the list of snub-nosed dogs, and had no problems. They are not snub-nosed dogs, but that is another story.
    The only restrictions are temperature related. If you check their website, you can get all of the info.

maryfrix

Thank you for your reply. What’s makes me a bit more concerned than usual is that Delta and Continental have just (as of June of this year) put a no-flying embargo on any type of bulldog for any flight, anywhere, during any time of year regardless of cool-weather season. I would not want to risk it.

The FedEx fore hold (right behind the cockpit) would be excellent for transporting our two dogs (only one of whom is a problem) but they do not ship household pets unless it’s from business to business. I might be able to swing that, but they typically only ship from a breeder to a pet shop.

I have found a cruise ship that goes to Belize City out of Galveston, but no dogs allowed. Only the QE2 is dog-friendly.

So we are rather at an impasse.

costaricabill
    Participant

Try JetBlue’s “JetPaws” program – it may work for you. You would have to get the dog(s) to Orlando.
    http://www.jetblue.com/jetpaws/

costaricafinca
    Participant

JetBlue only accepts pets, with [i]”Combined weight of the pet and carrier and may not exceed 20 pounds”[/i]

OTTFOG

[quote=”maryfrix”]Has anyone used an air charter company to fly into SJO or another relatively nearby regional airport in Costa Rica?

I ask because husband and I are wanting to rent a house for three months and would be bringing along two dogs, one of which is an English Bulldog (a breed that airlines have generally stopped transporting in cargo).

Driving is not an option. I have read about driving from the US to Costa Rica, but don’t want to deal with any issues that can arise from traveling with two dogs, any quarantines, etc. and no experience driving through Mexico to CR.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Mary,
    Some friends of mine from Texas are flying down here in their large private plane later this month (Sept 23rd). When are you coming down? I could ask them if they are interested in someone sharing their costs. They are just coming for a few days so I don’t know how you would get back after your three months. They will be flying out of Austin. Where are you located?
    Jerry

maryfrix

Thanks, Jerry. It’s very generous for you to offer asking your friends. We are in the Midwest but would drive to any point south and leave the vehicle as my husband has a son in Miami and I have an aunt in Houston. Both are the quickest hops to San Jose, I understand.

All that said, we aren’t planning to come until next year – April, May and June or August, September and October. I’m hoping to arrange a charter flight by then with others, wherever they may be found.

rebetzen

Lan Chile out of MIA will fly your dogs. You need to contact the Freight Dept. (sorry just threw out their number). They leave Monday – Friday at 11:00 PM into SJO.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Mary,
    Some friends of mine from Texas are flying down here in their large private plane later this month (Sept 23rd). When are you coming down? I could ask them if they are interested in someone sharing their costs. They are just coming for a few days so I don’t know how you would get back after your three months. They will be flying out of Austin. Where are you located?
    Jerry[/quote]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.