choosing a certain cell #

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum choosing a certain cell #

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hyperboy

how hard is it to choose a particular cell phone # and can one buy the Sims chip from I.C.E. out of the country too and if so how.

jaybird06

I gave up my search for phone service. I’m going with skype for my month in CR.

http://www.skype.com/

wmaes47

hyperboy

That is a great question… NO… You can’t buy a SIM card from ICE when you are not in front of their agent.

There are other criteria that you will need when you are sitting in front of them or a CR friend is sitting in front of them and want a SIM card.

Most of your questions are answered in another thread below this one.

The main answers are here:

Maravilla

There is not a problem with cell phone numbers on the GSM service. There is an over abundance of numbers when I received mine six months ago. This will work well in your area and around the country. Everyone on the TDMA service will be switched to GSM eventually and will be able to keep their current TDMA number. There are several more towers being errected around the country at this time and will give better service in the future. GSM service is the way to go.

Buy a cheap phone on E-Bay. It should be one of the tri-mode phones and must be UNLOCKED. If you have T-Mobile service in the States, you can get a phone unlocked for FREE with them. You must have 90 days service with T-Mobile before they will unlock a phone.

The feequency used for GSM in Costa Rica is 1850 mHz for your knowledge bank.

I went to the San Ramon ICE office with Mauricio and had him sign for the phone under his name. J or J could do that for you.

When you apply, you will be required to pay the first months and an equal amount startup for a total of 50,000 colones. This is paid around the corner to the North of the ICE office then return with the receipt to get the SIM Card and number. You will just walk to the previous window and not have to take another number. Take your phone and receipt with you as they will install the SIM card to make sure it works.

Numbers are ramdomly given. If you want a special number there is an additional charge of US$45 for something you want to have as a number.

The reason I had Mauricio sign up for the phone is that ICE required a letter from my attorney stating that I had authority to conduct business for the SA corporation. When I arrive 10th October ’06 I will have the letter and switch the phone to tyhe corporation.

The last bill I paid from the States online was $7.05 for a basic service with 60 minutes of phone use.

I use the online service of Banco de Costa Rica to pay cell phone, water and electricity. Everything I pay is from a savings account which I have a VISA Debit Card to use around the country. If you want to obtain money or use your card while you are in the US or elsewhere, make sure you have your issueing bank give you an International use debit card. They do have an in country only use card.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

harvcarp

Hola Bill:

Can you give me the info on the best way to obtain a ‘foreign’ SIM card again? I will be arriving in C.R. next month.
    I have the necessary codes to unlock my T-Mobile, however, most other companies do not use them.

Gracias
    Harvey

wmaes47

Hi Harvey

This is the last that I had gone through in San Ramon 2006. GSM lines are becoming scarce at the moment, but could change as ICE acquires more numbers from a supplier of their phone systems.

You will need the following:

1) Your unlocked T-Mobile Cell Phone

2) A receipt for the purchase of the cell phone (I can generate one and send it to you, if you need one. I need your e-mail address to get info from you)

3) With a Costa Rican corporation. A current letter, from your abogado, that states that you have the authority to conduct business for the corporation

or

4) A friend in Costa Rica who can take their Cedula and get a SIM card under their name. If they will do it, have them go tomorrow. They can transfer the line to your corporation later

5) With either #3 or #4 a current bill from ICE for electricity or land line or a water bill from your local municipality

Find a local ICE office, get your numbered ticket and stand in line until you are called. I hope you speak Spanish, or have someone with you to interpret.

You will apply for a phone with the above documents and ICE will give you a bill for the first month cost and will include a startup fee. The last cost for this was 50,000 colones. You will not be able to pay this amount at the ICE office.

ICE will direct you to a payment center to pay the 50,000 and get a receipt. After you have the receipt, return to the same window for processing. No need to get another number.

ICE will get a random number, insert the chip and test the phone.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

harvcarp

Gracias Bill!

I have receipts for the phones that were purchased in N.Y.
    My wife (a Tica with Cedula) and I each have one cellphone.
    I will be applying for permanent residency soon after arrival in C.R.

Also, I have property under an S.A.
    We can have a relative take care of the SIM for us.

Harvey

harvcarp

Hola Bill:

Regarding the foreign (non t-mobile) SIM Card.
    I have service with t-mobile. I called cingular to inquire about SIM cards as they use them with their phones. Customer service said I could purchase them at a retail store for $25. I called the local store and was told for $30 I could purchase them. However, I was advised that it would not work, (100% sure) in my phone. (I have all the unlocking codes from t-mobile)
    My niece in C.R. today informed me that the cost is c12,500 for each line. I believe that includes the SIM card.
    Would you recommend that I have her handle everything for us, with the understanding that line availability seems to be a problem at the present time>
    Gracias
    Harvey

wmaes47

Harvey

The SIM card from T-Mobile will work in Costa Rica, if you call T-Mobile Customer Service and have them set you account for International Calling in a foreign country. If you call the States with the T-Mobile authorized card, it will cost you $2.00 a minute. Local service with the T-Mobile SIM card is much more expensive, also. You will not have to unlock your phone using the SIM you have in the States.

I am not familiar with Cingular Service, but their card is in the same position. It will not work in Costa Rica.

When you unlock your T-Mobile phone, the SIM card from Cingular will work in your T-Mobile phone. Unlocking will clear everything set for T-Mobile or Cingular at the factory.

Those are the facts.

ICE will sign you up, as stated above and give you the SIM card that works with their Erricson GSM cellular syste.

Your niece will need to go to the ICE office with the items posted above for each SIM card.

I stand corrected on the price of the line. It was 12,500 colones, but they will charge you for startup of another 12,500 colones for a total of 25,000 colones. You have jogged my memory. 25,000 converts to almost US$50. That is where I got the 50,000 colones. Does include the SIM card.

Stated above. Have your niece call a cab and get your two cell phone numbers.

As the Eagles sang “Before it’s to late”.

Cheers
    Bill Maes

harvcarp

Hi Bill!
    I have read your reply and have also read your post from Sep.14.
    I previously called T-Mobil for unlocking instructions without regard for the 15 digit IMEI.
    I have the T-Mobile Unlock Code as well as the necessary steps for unlocking my Motorola device. They include the 15 digit code.
    Your instructions from 9-14 are also what were emailed by T-Mobil.
    In order to complete the unlock procedure I must have that foreign SIM card.
    So, how may I accomplish the unlock here in New York first???????????

Thanks again
    Harvey

wmaes47

This will be real easy in New York.

Find someone with Cingular or AT & T phone service and ask if you could use their SIM card for about five minutes. A different T-Mobile SIM card will not accomplish the foreign SIM card requirement.

Insert their card in your phone, turn it on and follow the instructions from T-Mobile. Just enter the unlock number… and Bingo… You will be unlocked.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

harvcarp

Hola Bill!

Now that seems easy enough! I have been asking around and so far am unable to find a Cingular or AT & T user, but I know there must be some in the area.
    I did, however, follow the steps w/o the SIM and all went well.
    (Guess that was just practice)

Thanks again
    Harvey

harvcarp

Hello Bill:

If you give me your email, I will forward an email just received from my niece regarding the total costs for SIM and line.

Gracias
    Harvey

wmaes47

Perfect Harvey

bill.maes@gmail.com

Gracias
    Bill Maes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.