Congratulations… The US empire expands.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Congratulations… The US empire expands.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    rebaragon

Considering Bimbo Bakeries touts $1.2 billion in sales, I don’t foresee them vanishing anytime soon…. Maravilla, you bring up an excellent point about the chemicals in our foods. By the nature of the process, pesticide/chemical fertilizer use in produce farming increases every year. Organic produce is available in CR and although more expensive, they’re a great option. The farmers that realized the role these chemicals played in the atrocious indices of stomach cancer (esp. in Cartago) decided to take a chance and began the long, laborious and expensive process to learn about organic farming and have their farms certified organic. It’s been really difficult for them to keep their production going, organize and compete with the “regular” pesticide laden produce that is so much cheaper/more readily available. Not to mention, that they’ve had to confront the contradictory information being given to the CR public regarding their safety and real benefits. I think the additional cost is well worth it, especially for foods that do not have thick skins and are eaten raw. That said, they must be thoroughly washed to avoid ingesting bacteria or other organisms that could cause health problems for you and your family. Last I heard, they have a separate “feria” in some places and take up part of the regular feria in some other towns. They don’t just have produce; they also have breads, honey, cheeses among other items. I love their goat cheese; it’s the mildest most delicious goat cheese I’ve ever tasted. Part of this chemical mess started because producers recognized that consumers preferred prettier produce/products and didn’t realize how they were compromising everyone’s health by focusing on the superficiality of bigger & better looking. (Of course, much of the motivation to begin and continue with chemical farming has been economic, but I don’t think the producers/farmers knew the health risks when this use began.)—I only recently started in the WLCR forum, but I’m really glad the people here have foregone that route when discussing the issues of the day (sometimes it gets a little bumpy and bruises are felt here), but I’m also glad that we take the time consider another persons opinion–even if we don’t choose to adopt it as our own. As diverse as the opinions are, they truly seem to be motivated by a deep personal love for Costa Rica, not just the investments we may have or dream of having there..…Pura Vida amigos/as…

Andrew
    Keymaster

Oh! I have no doubt that we will eventually learn Alfred, it’s just that we will only ‘learn’ when it’s too late. The human race is a devastating cancer on this face of this beautiful earth and I have no doubt we will destroy ourselves.

The question is ‘when’ and in looking at the catastrophic decisions made by our so called political leaders over the past six years, it would appear that they are doing everything they can to promote complete and total self destruction during our life times.

I have been accused of being a ‘doom and gloomer’ before and it’s most unfortunate that many people think this way but, isn’t this exactly what the facts are telling us?

If I die tomorrow, I die knowing that I have lived, loved and enjoyed a very full life in a lot of different places even though I am only 47 but, I would love to think that my wonderful son and daughter can also look forward to long and satisfying lives of their own but, will they?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

rebaragon

Noam Chomsky said in a 1995 interview with Kevin Doyle:

“I think the current era has ominous portent, and signs of great hope. Which result ensues depends on what we make of the opportunities.”

Those opportunities we choose to seize and be part of will most definitely impact our lives and the lives of our children. Even if powerful lunatics rain horror upon humanity, I believe that as long as any of us have breath left, we must seize those opportunities to make a difference–even if its just one person at a time…Pa’lante Scott…

Andrew
    Keymaster

How unfortunate that he accurately predicted the “powerful lunatics” but look what’s happened since 1995!

I am not suggesting that you fit this description – we have some seriously great minds in this forum – but the vast majority of people obviously haven’t got a clue about the gravity of the current situation.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alfred

Scott, I just got off the phone with my brother not ten minutes ago. He always calls me the “gloomer and doomer” as well, and did so again in our conversation. He doesn’t look at the economy here as going into recession, and thinks the stock market is still a good place to be in. He fully understands the world’s position, but feels we always come out of the bad times. The question I have is, how many times can we rebound? My father always had a saying, that one day “The bubble is going to burst.” Maybe sooner or later, his words will come true. You are not as gloomy as you may have been painted to look. You are most likely a realist, who sees things as they are, and one who hopes, like myself, for a better future.

You know we were talking about heroes on this thread, and how they can sometimes not be what we hoped they were. There was a comment about even the need for national heroes anymore. I think of the young Alajuela drummer boy, Juan Santamaria, and his heroic feat against William Walker and the filibusters. The celebration every April the Alajuelense have in his memory, galvanizes the country into one proud group. They gather to remember the proud spirit of one boy who represents that same proud spirit of an entire country…Freedom!

The fact that Juan Santamaria was killed at such an early age, some say as young as 12, others 17, will most likely preserve his innocence and purity as a national hero. Not too much was known of his life and he did not have a wife or children to carry on his historical lineage. Somewhere I read in one of his supposed family origins, an ancestor that happens to have my last name. There is a part of me, deep inside, that wishes we shared at least one drop of familial blood.

Every country has its national heroes. They are a symbol of national Identity and pride. Though sometimes flawed, they are a beacon to its people, an Icon that humbles, and a hope for them to do better. In spite of the fact we ourselves may never achieve that greatness, it is still an image we strive to attain.

Do we really need heroes? Yeah, I think we still do.

maravilla

I remember being propagandized in grade school about how Columbus was a hero, how all those savages were killed for a reason and what a good thing we’ve done for them forcing them to accept Christianity after we put them in a concentration camp, known as a reservation. It wasn’t until I got older that I realized we’d committed genocide when we wiped out 40 million Native Americans, all in the name of greed. We have a tourist attraction here in Colorado for Buffalo Bill — what a despicable example of humanity he was, killing all those buffalo for fun and profit. And yet, somelike like Che gets bad-rapped because he stood up to imperialism and ratted out the bad guys, but the CIA took care of him by whacking him (40 years ago yesterday). I don’t believe in heroes anymore now than I did way back when. Especially when you get down to the nittygritty of what they really did and how all their killing and destruction was glorified.

Alfred

Maravilla, The small shops will go the way of the dinosaur, if we continue to let them. Most of the products sold on store shelves now are “Productos de China.” Small stores cannot import directly from the manufacturer, therefore they are forced to buy from distributors who import. They cannot sell at the same low prices as the big box stores. Manufacturers that sell direct to small stores, goods made in the US, are diminishing. As we lose the ability to manufacture quality goods here, we are forced to buy low quality crap.

A couple of weeks ago I need to buy shoes. Every shoe store, which is now only at the mall, had Chinese made shoes. Even brands like the British Clark company has Chinese made shoes. I went to one of the smaller franchise stores to find some good quality ones. I found Spanish made shoes of excellent quality and bought them. I paid at least twice what I would pay for China made, considering the low dollar as well, but wound up with the most comfortable pairs I have had. The side benefit, was the pain in the knee I had for a while disappeared after a couple of days wearing them.

My own personal protest to avoid buying China made anything has given me a little less money in my pocket, but a dividend in pain reduction. Quality has to be paid for. Small specialty stores might remain the last hope of keeping alive small business in this country.

We all miss the stores of our youth. I remember knowing every store owner by first name in my neighborhood. It is a shame to see it go. When in downtown Alajuela, I get the same feeling as I did as a kid. Everyone is courteous and the people all know each other. It will be sad if it ever completely gets replaced by malls.

rebaragon

I think it’s a really good thing to question heroes…They may have done wonderful things that can be learned from, but they may have also done some unspeakable crimes that need to be remembered so that they’re not repeated–that’s if we choose to learn about them. Have you ever stopped to consider that Che might have been a threat to other powers than the CIA? Just pondering about Cain & Abel / Fidel & Che? I certainly don’t have the answers, but I do have lots of questions. As far as him being a hero, a man that makes up false accusations while laughing about sending people to be executed is no hero to me. How do I know this? Because my father saw it with his very own eyes and my uncle (who came down from the mountains with Che) managed to get my father out of prison before he became the next victim. It certainly gave my uncle a different perspective on this “icon.” My father had helped run a prison in Cuba prior to Castro. He has always been anti-revolutionary, yet he was a fair man who had the communist prisoners stand up for him after the revolution won–Prisoners had more heart and defended a man from being lynched because he had been fair with them–even though he was now a “gusano” to them (what they call anti-revolutionaries). Prisoners had more integrity than Che! Horrible thing that happens to people when they feel that they not only have the right snuff out a life, but that they come to enjoy doing it…I’ll take Pura Vida style anyday over Che’s legacy!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am hoping you have read Charlie’s article about that ‘filibuster’ Alfred at

Only because he’s American is he called a ‘filibuster.’ If he was a Nicaraguan who attacked a US state and crowned himself ‘President’ of the USA and the President of Nicaragua recognized him as ‘President’ and his regime as the legitimate government of the USA, I would think the Americans would have called him a “terrorist.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

maravilla

Ironically the man who assassinated Che just had cataract surgery at a hospital in Cuba that was started by Che. I don’t doubt what you say about Che’s dark side and his nefarious activities, and he may well have been a threat to others but it was the CIA who plugged him. I certainly don’t worship Che, or Fidel (I have friends whose fathers were imprisoned for years after Fidel took over), so I don’t know what the real answers are, or what the truth really is, but I do know that the US is a imperalistic bully who will assassinate anyone who doesn’t play by our rules.

Alfred

Yes, Scott, I did read it, and just looked at it again. This part of “American” history was not regularly taught in schools, although today it may be. I first found out about it while trying to educate myself about Costa Rica’s history and traditions. Walker it seems, was looking for a new source of slaves for the US to exploit. It took but a child for him him to realize the resolve of the Costa Rican people and make him turn back. I don’t know if the history books of Costa Rica accurately portray Juan Santamaria or not. Still, he is a figure that has become their singular, untainted, icon of freedom.

Don Pepe is another modern day hero for many in Costa Rica. He gave them what was the beginning of their young democracy, and I have talked to one Tico who had spoke of him with much pride. Like I said before, I think it is necessary for a country to have heroes. Individuals who have put their lives on the line for the greater good of their countrymen, act as inspiration. Their memory should be cherished throughout their nation, in the hope that others will follow their example.

As far as the names, and titles we ascribe to those who plunder in the name of greed or country, political correctness, embarrassment, truth and lies, will always follow them. There will always be supporters and detractors of anyone who has risen above the level of the common citizen. Remember the saying, and I’ll paraphrase “One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.” We all have a perspective from which we judge these people who seem larger than life. As we discover the truth about them, my hope is, we may find more good than bad.

In Rebeca’s very personal description of Che, we see another side of him, different from what many outsiders would like to believe. To many in Europe, he is still venerated. For myself, I admired his reason and principles. His actions however, were inconsistent with what I think were his beliefs. In the final analysis, he may have been just a cruel individual with an enormous ego. We all have differing opinions, and philosophies about our heroes and villains, and the times in which they lived.

Alfred

One additional note I wanted to put in a separate post, Over the past year or so of participating in this forum, I have noticed that the original topics get blurred sometimes, and the thread take on a life of its own. This, I find is great. We all put a lot more emotion and feeling into our discussions here, unlike any other blogs or forums I have seen. My hat is off to all the posters I have had the pleasure of conversing with.

Scott, Thanks for letting us use your house to chat.

rebaragon

I concur with your gratitude Alfred! Thanks Scott. I would also like you to consider that we can learn and honor great deeds without having to put those people on a hero’s pedestal–it’s a mighty long way to fall and most do because we all have shadows. The huge difference is that powerful people can do great good when motivated by that which is the best of us and impose great harm on others when they are ruled by those “shadows.” Once they fall, then people also want to forget the good they may have done, consciously or inadvertently. I don’t care for Fidel, his politics or methodologies (even if I can’t help admire the man’s intelligence), but I can truly tell you that I don’t harbor any hate towards him or anyone else (including Che). I recognize how he has benefited so many people in Cuba. We can choose to find meaning and good in whatever Life throws at us and the people that we’re touched by without creating an illusion of perfection because no one can hold to that standard, much less those that have yielded great power in their hands. I choose to admire the light that can be found in most of us and hope that those that have forgotten that we’re all connected somehow will be touched by the humblest of persons one day and remember. Namaste & Pura Vida…

Alfred

Excellent points, Rebeca. Heroes almost always do fall because of the scrutiny they are put under. Like you, I try to find the good aspects of a person. None of us on this earth can ever achieve perfection. I agree, we are all connected, and being touched by humble people will let you know how true that is.

joemusc

I agree. Globalization is a natural and inevitable progression. So many of my friends who visit Costa Rica for the first time are actually struck by how “under”developed even the well known tourist areas are, because they have been inundated with diatribes about how Costa Rica has lost its soul and had its ecological treasures devoured overnight. I actually think Arias has been a consistent proponent of moderated development that respects the surrounding environment and that CAFTA is not necessarily incompatible with that, and for goodness sake over 70% of the country is protected land. The reality is that the ratification of CAFTA is of more symbolic importance than anything else. The best thing that could happen to Costa Rica is for respected multinational companies to domicile in the major cities of this country. It would employ people, raise wages, reduce crime and increase efficiency of the governent and telecommunications system. Costa Rica has the right to compete in the global economy and the citizens of the country should be able to make enough money to travel the world in search of paradise as we have. And yes, Costa Rica voted for the referendum, not the US.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.