Costa Rica supports action in Libya

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica supports action in Libya

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    smekuly

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]smekuly, you wrote, “yet…all the fast food places here are always busy and the malls.. i dont quiet understand this since mcdonalds burger king wendys.. are NOT cheap here by all standards”

Well, the explanation is simple. It’s a matter of a disproportionate distribution of wealth and income within the society. The good news, if there is any, is that it’s much, much worse in the U.S. I’m not suggesting that everyone should live at the same level or that folks shouldn’t benefit from their labors and creativity, but something’s gotta give. When one in six persons in the U.S., with all its wealth, is chronically undernourished, something is askew.[/quote]

David

when you say disproportionate distribution of wealth..can you clarify please because i may be reading into that statement incorrectly…

in all societies you will have a disproportionate amount of wealth to some extent.

its called the 80/20 rule paretos principle.

me being a foreigner i came to this country without any wealth and in 8 years did very well for myself here. but i also understand that no one is coming to the rescue so its all up to me.

i find here in this country.. the ticos’s expectation of entitlement is very strong here.

expecting the government to provide it to them. not to say ticos here are lazy but they are activity based instead of results based. how else can you explain the road construction here where they keep having to the work over and over again..

the caldera highway.. cmon…. i mean i can understand if it was me who built that thing but.. folks please..

they can start the morning with a dash and keep that stride, and run around all day and wind up the same point where they began.. without accomplishing anything.. while saying.. [b]wow[/b] what a productive day..:D

while the large percentage of affluent ticos are indeed self driven to excel and they usually succeed. so i think its all these are just general observations from the last 10 years starting and selling businesses here.

who has the answers??? I sure don’t but i do believe in that saying.. if you give aman a fish you feed him for the day if you teach him how to fish you feed him for life.

you have more and more opportunity here and now than i believe the history of costa rica.. you just have to have an open mind to learn new things and be sensitive to the enviroment.

the opportunities in the tech field alone is tremendousness with new skills you can always do well

i can list here 10 new opportunities right here and now that if you immerse yourself 30 days from now you can get a job almost right away.

sorry for the ramble and if anyones is interested in some of my recommendations providing scott allows me i will write an article and post it.

sorry for the ramble

steve
    ps. has anyone seen my aguinaldo :D:D:D:D:D:D

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Simply put, Steve, the very most benefitted and very thin top stratum of society enjoys wealth and income in amounts grossly disproportionate to their contributions. The Wall Street bankers are a prime example, but you can find ’em in any American corporation. The bankers and their colleagues in the mortgage industry virtually brought the American economy to its knees but look at the rewards they reaped . . . and continue to reap. The same can be said of corporate executives in droves. Yes, their companies have had some bad years, but they prosper.

In the meantime, they continue to drain resources from the economy that could be used (1)to grow that economy and (2)to meet actual human needs.

The worst part of this scenario is that, unable to spend all this wealth, they’ll pass it on to their heirs, often untaxed, and thereby create a permanent non-contributing aristocracy the likes of which the world has never seen.

sprite

[quote=”Scott”]Cuba would not be our plan ‘B’
    My girlfriend is from Guatemala but although I love Antigua, there’s a palbable fear in the air in the city which is bordering on frightening.

Scott[/quote]

Scott, I wish you would elaborate on this. I am sensing a similar thing here in Miami. I suppose it is normal in bad times for heightened anxieties, but I have been through bad recessions before and this time it feels different.

It’s one thing to read up on stuff that’s entertaining and speculative and to be day dreaming but I am not delusional or naive and I can’t sit on my hands once I see what has to be done. If nothing happens and three years from now, we are all still on this message board writing each other from the same chairs and computers about how great the Costa Rican weather is , then I and a whole lot of other people have made some serious miscalculations…and all is well with the world. And I will eventually make my way to my CR property hopefully before I die of old age and in a more prepared state.

In the meantime, I am in in a hurry to move to CR. I have to plan and act for my best interests on what I believe I know to be true and there is a confluence of macro events which I believe will make leaving the U.S. after a certain date impossible for me and for most others to do so easily. Do you have any convictions on the future? If so, are you acting on them?

bogino
    Participant

Man…..I sense a lot of “[b]insecurity[/b]” here…..

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.