Costa Rica’s proposed “universal” income tax

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica’s proposed “universal” income tax

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”obe james”][b]Question: [/b]…….We itemize our federal return and deduct our property taxes on the Schedule A. ……..?[/quote]

You deduct your property taxes paid on property in Costa Rica on your U.S. tax return?

Is that legal?? I think this came up once before (I tried to search for it, to no avail), but I don’t recall if there was any certainty to the answer.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Bill, we use TurboTax online to prepare our U.S. income tax returns. One of the first questions one must answer is which state you live in. Since we’re full-time residents of Costa Rica and have no residence or residency in any U.S. state, we select the “Foreign” choice. So IRS knows full well that we live here.

Later on, we declare the property tax we pay on our property here on Schedule A. In six years, IRS has never questioned it. What’s more, nothing in their instructions makes any distinction between taxes paid on property in the U.S. and those paid on property elsewhere.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.