crazy with dog importation

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum crazy with dog importation

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Sweetbeee

Hi Forum, might I weigh in a bit with websites, phone #s, and some definitive info regarding traveling with pets. I WORK for Continental as a Flight Attendant and just recently flew back from CR with 2 cats owned by some friends going back to Canada and had no problems whatsoever.

What I do know for sure:
    -There are only TWO animals allowed in the cabin per flight. When you make your reservation, make sure they are aware of your pet and note on your passenger record that you will be traveling with an In-cabin animal so your animal doesn’t get bumped to cargo.
    -The pet must stay contained during the flight, there are many people opposed to animals even flying on board and will use any excuse not to share the cabin with them, the good news is our airline will offer to accomodate THEM on a later flight, don’t allow them to force your animal out of the cabin to the belly if there is room in the cabin, stand your ground and refuse, usually that won’t happen and the customer balking backs down.
    -Service animals have a whole different set of rules and are treated like passengers for the most part, regardless of their size, do ask for bulkhead to allow room for them at your feet. Don’t pay more for that premium row, that usually won’t be an issue.
    If you must ship it:
    -Our cargo for pets is climate controlled and the pilots and ramp personel are very aware of your pet through documentation and the animals are boarded LAST in the summer, right before we taxi to limit their exposure to the heat.
    -All animals MUST have vet health documentation that is UNDER 10 DAYS OLD, no exceptions, that minimizes the chance that interim diseases could have been contracted.
    -The animal MUST stay in its carrier during the flight, if it cuts up about it, unzip and slip your foot into the carrier, most times its just scared and wants contact with you, pet it with your foot, I always recommend that and it usually works. If there’s an empty seat next to you, put the bag in the seat, unzip it slightly and just slip your hand in and pet your animal to calm them down or hold the carrier in your lap and cradle the pet, but don’t take it out.
    ALL OF OUR CRITERIA IS SET OUT IN OUR POLICIES at this website, you can track their itinerary via the web as well:
    http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/default.aspx
    MAKE COPIES OF ALL APPLICABLE POLICIES to prove to uninformed personel what the policy is or to ask where it says what they are saying IS the policy. They can change but have not for a while.
    NOT ALL AIRLINES ARE ALIKE IN THEIR POLICIES.
    Some airlines are now refusing snub nosed dogs due to respiratory distress they experience flying. Check that out so you aren’t turned down at the airport. Here are the phone numbers of the 24 hr. live animal desk, (USA 800.575.3335 or 832.235.1541)if you have questions call them, I feel sure they can clarify things for you. As an owner of two yorkies, I wish you luck traveling with your babies….if you have questions, email me and perhaps I can find your answer as I’m used to navigating our system.

BBG

sstarkey

[quote=”rfalves”][quote=”sstarkey”][quote=”artfulgal”]I think there may be some confusion with regard to the word CARGO. Being a retired American Airlines ticket agent, maybe I can offer some clarification. A pet can travel 1 of 3 ways:
    1- as “cabin baggage” – where the pet travel in the cabin with you, and must fit in a kennel, under the seat in front of you. Because the number of cabin pets are limited, you must make a reservation for the same flight you are traveling on.
    2 – as “checked baggage” – where the pet travels on THE SAME FLIGHT AS YOU, but in the “cargo hold” with the other checked baggage (it is pressurized and temp controlled)
    3 – as CARGO – where the pet travels ALONE and not on the same scheduled flight as you are traveling. Pet also travels just like #2 in the “cargo hold” with the baggage.

Many airlines have “embargoes” when the temperature gets too hot or too cold outside. If you are planning on traveling with your pet,I would reccomend traveling on non-embargoed time so that the pet can travel on the same flight as you. Otherwise, if you travel on one flight and then send for your pet later, he will travel as CARGO and on international fights, that entail additional fees and often a broker to “clear” the “carg”.

Hope this helps :D[/quote]

This is true for most airlines…EXCEPT Continental. They do not fly pets internationally from the USA as checked baggage, only as Cargo. Whether or not you fly on the same flight makes no difference, and the dog must be cleared as Cargo.[/quote]
    BS I brought my German Sherpard here on Continetal from newark to San Jose on a non stop flight and the dog was with the checked baggage, and he came up with the checked baggage. Ron USCG Ret[/quote]

Ron – I don’t know when you flew, but according to Continental’s own web site (link graciously provided by the attendant above), what I wrote about Continental’s current policy is not “BS” as you call it:

“Continental is committed to providing a safe and comfortable travel experience for all of our customers, including pets. Because we share our customers’ concern that their pets’ flights are stress-free, we have enhanced our animal acceptance policy to transport pets as cargo. Our program is called PetSafe®. Under this program, Continental does not accept pets as checked baggage.”

When I was doing my research I heard that in the past, pets traveling as ‘Cargo’ on Continental were being delivered to owners through the Baggage area at SJO, but that this practice has stopped. Obviously, *someone* figured out they were missing out on the opportunity to gouge the passenger out of a ridiculous Customs fee.

Doug Ward

I just met a guy who brought 2 bulldogs into Liberia on AA.No problems.
    As I’ve always said, San Jose is NOT Costa Rica.

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.