Crime in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Crime in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    davidd

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You are wrong!
    The public school will [b]not[/b] allow non vaccinated students in the public school system. This is not so, for [b]all[/b] private schools
    Check out previous newspapers reports.
    And [b]maravilla[/b] is correct. I too, had American neighbors who were forced to send their children to a public school because the were ‘home schooling’.
    One of the Real estate agents who used to post on this forum, left the country due to ‘home schools issues’
    One [b]may[/b] get away with the ‘home schooling; if you are only in the country for a short time. I have a friend who has 4 children and they do ‘home schooling’ but they return for many months at a time to the US where they attend ‘regular’ classes. The parents also know that they could potentially, be charged or made to put all the children in school.[/quote]

costa rica finca

OK.. I guess your right… my sister in law I guess was the only exception that somehow was able to home school her children and they all passed and have their high school diplomas.

I guess my sister in laws neighbor which also home schooled her 4 kids that also has their high school diploma.

these kids are now in their early 20’s

so maybe there is something else going on here.

maybe its a little different for foreigners

again too many explanations that i care to follow up on

vaccinations like I said… its probably a law but NOT enforceable.

so if this was a real issue for you and you wanted to stay in this country. then you will have to make decisions.

some affluent Tico folks that I know of that do NOT believe in Vaccinations made a few financial contributions and went there merry way

so there are plenty of options available and in this country.. $$$$$$$

thank goodness for that

for the rest of the people that when they come to a challenge they call it quits and move on..

good for you

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]David,[/b] like you, we are explaining that we [b]know,[/b] and are not just passing on second hand information.
    The following was copied from [url=http://thejacoblog.com/costa-rica-vaccinations-required-again-for-children/]this webpage[/url],[i]”Just announced last week in the media, Costa Rica vaccinations of over 700,000 children are set to be re-immunized. Most of the general public does not question such programs and generally go along with it, after all, when they show up at your children’s school, [b]you do not have much choice unless you stay with them all day”[/b]. [/i]

Don’t get me wrong, in that I feel children should be vaccinated against the parent wishes, but that they know that is a requirement if they want their child to attend the public school system, so if they don’t like it, they need to chose somewhere else to live.

[i]”Some affluent Tico folks that I know of that do NOT believe in Vaccinations made a few financial contributions and went there merry way”[/i] probably sent their children to private school.

jmi82060

It seems that experiences are different depending on where one lives and how much money one has. I suppose I cannot get a clear answer on home schooling either. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal. It gets more complicated all the time. A first hand visit to some areas of my choice without the kiddos might be the best move now. Does anyone live in the San Carlos area? I read that there is a public school there which made it in the top 20 of all Costa Rican schools. By the way…I am retired and have a pension which would cover by far the required $1,000 a month for a pensionado. Does anyone have a guess on how much it would take to support a family of six living modestly?

maravilla

i know what it takes for two frugal adults to live modestly and that is about $1000 a month, wothout rent to pay. I cannot imagine it costing less than $2500-$3000 for 6 people, but it would be good if you had a fat nest egg for emergencies which always seem to happen in this country.

waggoner41

[quote=”jmi82060″]It seems that experiences are different depending on where one lives and how much money one has. I suppose I cannot get a clear answer on home schooling either. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal. It gets more complicated all the time. A first hand visit to some areas of my choice without the kiddos might be the best move now. Does anyone live in the San Carlos area? I read that there is a public school there which made it in the top 20 of all Costa Rican schools. By the way…I am retired and have a pension which would cover by far the required $1,000 a month for a pensionado. Does anyone have a guess on how much it would take to support a family of six living modestly?[/quote]

All things are possible with imagination.

Crime is not the greatest issue outside of the large cities and away from primarily expat populations.

Education, our biggest issue, can be overcome.

Our advantage is that we own our property outright so only have to pay the property and corporate taxes each year.

We are a family of 12 and live on our two combined Social Security incomes by living a primarily Tico lifestyle.

VictoriaLST

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]David,[/b] like you, we are explaining that we [b]know,[/b] and are not just passing on second hand information.
    The following was copied from [url=http://thejacoblog.com/costa-rica-vaccinations-required-again-for-children/]this webpage[/url],[i]”Just announced last week in the media, Costa Rica vaccinations of over 700,000 children are set to be re-immunized. Most of the general public does not question such programs and generally go along with it, after all, when they show up at your children’s school, [b]you do not have much choice unless you stay with them all day”[/b]. [/i]

Don’t get me wrong, in that I feel children should be vaccinated against the parent wishes, but that they know that is a requirement if they want their child to attend the public school system, so if they don’t like it, they need to chose somewhere else to live.

[i]”Some affluent Tico folks that I know of that do NOT believe in Vaccinations made a few financial contributions and went there merry way”[/i] probably sent their children to private school.[/quote]

Thank God for vaccinations. I remember the hot summer days when we couldn’t walk in the stream or play in the pool because of polio. You probably never had measles and then, weeks later, German measles. You never saw a child choking to death with whooping cough, but my mother, a nurse in the 30’s did. You have never seen a case of tetanus or diphtheria. Be happy about that. And be happy that we have vaccinations.

Andrew
    Keymaster

As you probably know, not all vaccines are proven to be effective…

[url=http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/vaccine-bombshell-baby-monkeys-develop-autism-symptoms-after-obtaining-doses-of-popular-vaccines/]Vaccine bombshell: Baby monkeys develop autism symptoms after obtaining doses of popular vaccines[/url]

Not all pharmaceutical companies are developing new drugs because they want to “help” you…

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

My sister is considered ‘legally blind’ from having measles. I also had a friend who totally lost her sight, again, she had measles.
    Where we lived in Canada recently had an outbreak of whooping cough cases due to not vaccinating children.
    Back to the schooling issue, be advised that many public schools will not permit students who do not speak Spanish.

Read the interview on the ‘Home page’ of the Canadian family, and see where they share their views on the medical and school system.
    BTW this is one on the best and down to earth interviews written for this site

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]As you probably know, not all vaccines are proven to be effective…

Scott
    [/quote]

Scott, you have it exactly right. Not all vaccines are 100% effective, and that is the most compelling argument in favor of being vaccinated.

When a person is vaccinated against any communicable disease (tetanus is one exception), not only do they acquire pretty effective protection against that disease for themselves but, because they are now unlikely to contract it, they are also unlikely to transmit it to someone else. So a vaccine protects the recipient and everyone they come into contact with. Vaccinating the population against likely risks has enormous advantages even if it’s not perfect.

Every year, the public health community does its best to predict which strains of influenza will be prevalent in the coming flu season and the vaccine manufacturers tailor their vaccines to protect against those strains. There a scores or hundreds of strains. So when you or I get vaccinated, we not only protect ourselves against the most likely strains to get but we also protect all those we contact because we cannot transmit a disease we don’t have.

It is also true, of course, that we may be infected by a strain of influenza that this year’s vaccine was not produced to protect us against. That’s what happens when you are vaccinated and subsequently get the flu. You’ve contracted something relatively rare or unforeseen that wasn’t covered by the vaccine. You cannot get the flu from the vaccine itself because it does not contain live viruses.

Because children in school, people in the military, those in hospitals and nursing homes, inmates in prisons, and others live in such close proximity, the argument in favor of vaccinating them is compelling.

Some will argue, based on anecdotal evidence from their own or someone else’s experience, that pertussis (whooping cough) or influenza aren’t so bad because someone they knew survived one or both, but we have only to look at the epidemiological data to learn otherwise. These are chronic killers of children and adults and, like polio, tetanus, diptheria, cholera, yellow fever and many other communicable diseases, they’re highly preventable. If you’re skeptical about influenza, just Google “flu epidemic of 1918”.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]
    [url=http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/vaccine-bombshell-baby-monkeys-develop-autism-symptoms-after-obtaining-doses-of-popular-vaccines/]Vaccine bombshell: Baby monkeys develop autism symptoms after obtaining doses of popular vaccines[/url]
    Scott
    [/quote]

The article you point to, Scott, reports mostly on the administrative and scientific practices of the Centers for Disease Control and does not reflect upon the actual data (which the writer acknowledges is still unpublished). So we cannot investigate the facts for ourselves. Nor can the author.

In the meantime, no responsible scientific study has demonstrated a concrete relationship between vaccination and increased incidences of autism. The data, the actual numbers, do not support the assertions of a cause-and-effect relationship.

In the past day or two, new research has revealed a relationship between influenza during pregnancy and subsequent diagnosis of autism. Until that influence is ruled out, along with many others, you cannot draw the conclusion that vaccines are the culprits.

To focus on a single influence without correcting for all the other potential influences is simply bad science. One could argue, for example, that children born with club feet are so afflicted because their mothers watched Oprah during gestation. It might be true, but it would be bad science. Watching Oprah does does not cause club feet.

Medical decisions, especially in the public health sphere, should be based upon the best scientific evidence and not upon unsubstantiated anecdotal accounts.

VictoriaLST

Good job on that David. I will keep this brief.

The vaccination-autism link was originally attributed to a stabilizer in the vaccine. The pharm companies removed the stabilizer about 15-20 years ago and the rate of autism [i]continued to climb![i] In the meantime, no reputable scientific study showed any link between vaccines and autism. Lawyers still worked the angle. Naturally.

Anyone want to comment on my previous post, ‘thank God for vaccinations’? And yes, I had a good friend who died of post-polio syndrome. Her brother died a month after contracting the disease.

maravilla

What about the deaths that are CAUSED by the vaccines? Gardisil is the perfect example of that. the recent outbreak of polio in Africa was amongst the vaccinated population, as was the whooping cough outbreak in the PWN. Beyond DPT, i did not vac my child. (i don’t even vac my dogs except for rabies so they can travel). when i was growing up i had measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox — as an adult, i haven’t ever been sick except for a cold every ten years. There are plenty of pros and cons about the vac issue. i was surprised at how tyrannical the policies are here in costa rica, with threats of removing the children from the home. Green Med Info (a science-based site) has lots of info on vaccines, including this on Hep B.

HepB Vaccine Causes Liver Disease: Science Shows How

The science is definitive: The Hepatitis B vaccine is not only associated with liver disease, it causes it. The specific harm done is known, clearly documented. Low doses of the hepat
    itis B vaccine with aluminum adjuvant results in loss of mitochondrial integrity, cell death, and apoptosis, particularly in liver cells.

It is truly ironic that a vaccine supposedly for the purpose of protecting the liver is itself the cause of liver disease.

The authors of Hepatitis B vaccine induces apoptotic death in Hepa1–6 cells clearly point out that their concern is the adjuvant, aluminum hydroxide, with far-reaching implications, since aluminum is routinely used in children’s vaccines. Here is their conclusion:

We conclude that exposure of Hepa1–6 cells to a low dose of adjuvanted hepatitis B vaccine leads to loss of mitochondrial integrity, apoptosis induction, and cell death, apoptosis effect was observed also in C2C12 mouse myoblast cell line after treated with low dose of vaccine (0.3, 0.1, 0.05 ?g/ml). In addition In vivo apoptotic effect of hepatitis B vaccine was observed in mouse liver.

The bottom line is that the hepatitis B vaccine is responsible for killing liver cells. By itself, that might not be such a big deal. However, this study joins a growing body of evidence demonstrating liver disease, along with other disorders, resulting from hepatitis B vaccinations and aluminum adjuvant, including:

In vivo study of hepatitis B vaccine effects on inflammation and metabolism gene expression: Expression of 144 genes associated with liver function is changed.
    Hepatitis B vaccination and adult associated gastrointestinal reactions: a follow-up analysis: Gastrointestinal and liver functions are associated with hepatitis B vaccination.
    Hepatitis B vaccine and liver problems in U.S. children less than 6 years old, 1993 and 1994: Children given hepatitis B vaccinations are 2.57 times more likely to suffer from liver problems.
    Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration: Aluminum adjuvant causes motor neuron death, along with associated impairments in motor function, plus memory defects.
    Mechanisms of aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations (and explained in Gaia Health, Mechanisms of Aluminum Adjuvant Revealed: Vaccine Risks to Children Clarified: Several autoimmune disorders can be laid at the doorstep of aluminum adjuvant.
    These are just a few of the studies documenting harm from hepatitis B vaccines and aluminum adjuvants. You can obtain further information about studies associated with hepatitis B and vaccines on GreenMedInfo.

Lack of Hepatitis B Vaccine’s Value
    Though the hepatitis B vaccination is taking a terrible toll on children, the question must still be asked: What benefit can be gained from giving the vaccine to newborns, as is now done routinely in American hospitals?

The answer to this question is particularly disturbing. The disease that these babies are supposedly being protected from can be gotten only through sexual contact or blood transmission. It is possible to get it through birth when mothers are infected, but mothers-to-be can be screened for hepatitis B, so there is no plausible risk to newborns of non-infected mothers.

Perhaps it makes sense to give the vaccine to pregnant women to protect their babies? That idea doesn’t work, because safety for the fetus is highly questionable.

What about the length of effectiveness of hepatitis B vaccinations? This question can be answered in two ways. First, even if the vaccine lasts a lifetime, it doesn’t justify giving it to infants who haven’t even developed a blood-brain barrier, thus dramatically increasing risk.

The second answer, is even more compelling: Even by the Centers for Disease Control’s own estimation (which, as many of us have become aware, is questionable), the maximum length the vaccine lasts is 20 years. So, just when a child is entering the age of greatest sexual activity, the vaccination provides no benefit. (It should be noted that there are significant questions about its efficacy even when fresh.)

There can be no justification for the mass vaccination of newborn babies with the hepatitis B vaccine. It provides them with no possible benefit.

Reasons for Giving Hepatitis B Vaccine at Birth
    In light of the utter lack of value in hepatitis B vaccinations at birth, why are they being virtually mandated in the United States?

The first, and most obvious, is of course profits. There’s money to be made in virtually guaranteeing that nearly every newborn receives it. There is, though, an even more insidious possibility.

It’s obvious now that the vaccine profiteers and their government lackeys will allow nothing to get in the way of their profits. As documented by Jagannath Chatterjee in Autism: A Conspiracy of Silence, it matters not if careers are ruined or lives are destroyed. If vaccine profits are threatened by proof of their harm, then that information must be squelched—especially if autism is the issue.

One of the points that parents of children with autism routinely note is their normalcy before vaccination. Their children were not born with autism. They know it.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hepb-vaccine-causes-liver-disease-science-shows-how

But, if a baby is vaccinated at birth, there is no way to know that there was regression into autism. It’s impossible for parents to know that their children’s lifelong devastation was caused by a vaccine when it’s given at birth.

In light of trashing Dr. Wakefield’s reputation and his high quality research, along with the fact that autism has clearly been linked to vaccinations in other studies, plus the vaccine court’s acknowledgement of cause-and-effect between its symptoms and vaccination, one must wonder if the real purpose of injecting newborns with the hepatitis B vaccine is to hide the truth of autism being a vaccine-induced condition.

How is a parent to know that a perfectly normal baby has regressed into autism, rather than being born with it, if that child’s regression started with a vaccination at birth? How many parents today believe that their babies were born with autism simply because they never had the opportunity to experience them as normal?

Resources
    Hepatitis B vaccine induces apoptotic death in Hepa1–6 cells
    In vivo study of hepatitis B vaccine effects on inflammation and metabolism gene expression.
    Hepatitis B vaccination and adult associated gastrointestinal reactions: a follow-up analysis
    Hepatitis B vaccine and liver problems in U.S. children less than 6 years old, 1993 and 1994
    Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration
    Mechanisms of aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations
    Hep B Vaccine Damages The Liver It Is Supposed To Protect
    Hepatitis B FAQs for Health Professionals

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”] when i was growing up i had measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox — as an adult, i haven’t ever been sick except for a cold every ten years. [/quote]

So, maravilla, are you saying that, based upon the self-reported life experience of one eight billionth of the world’s population, we can safely (scientifically) conclude that contracting measles, mumps, whooping cough and chicken pox is protective against the common cold in later life?

Is it your scientific conclusion that it’s the combination of the all diseases you suffered, just one, or some subset of the list that conferred this immunity? Can you point to someone else with a similar life experience? Someone else who was so protected? Or might your good health be attributable to something entirely unrelated? Have you excluded all the variables?

And what can we say about all those who have died of these and other preventable diseases? What does their life experience tell us? You may be superwoman when it comes to immunity from communicable disease (or maybe you’re just antisocial and don’t come into contact with many other people), but can we base public health policy on the life experience of just one person?

And as for the hepatitis B vaccine . . .

First, it’s important to realize that we’re all losing and replacing liver cells all the time. The increase in that cell loss and the long-term deleterious effect are what need to be measured and, as always, the other variables excluded.

Further, what is the benefit tradeoff for vaccinating against hepatitis B? Lose some liver cells . . . don’t suffer hepatitis B. Maybe that’s a good tradeoff. Remember, when the surgeon removes your infected appendix, he first cuts into your abdomen and makes you bleed. And runs the risk of post-operative infection.

maravilla

if vacs were so effective, how come people who have been vac’d against those diseases then come down with them?

there used to be a time when nobody got vac’d for so many things. there have been many infant deaths reported from the multitude of vacs given at birth. i don’t really have a dog in this fight. some vacs might be good — polio for instance (except that those getting polio now are often those who had the vac, esp in africa). for me, personally, i eschew having unknown things pumped into my body on the hope that they will prevent something i may never get. i get a lot of data from the anti-vac sites, and there is certainly lots of controversy about their safety. i know a lot of parents who will not vac their kids, claiming the religious exemption. there is no such exemption here in cr that i know of.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Victoria, you wrote, “The vaccination-autism link was originally attributed to a stabilizer in the vaccine. The pharm companies removed the stabilizer about 15-20 years ago and the rate of autism [i]continued to climb![/i]”

That’s an important point, Victoria. I have previously reflected on the experience in Michigan. Prior to the time when autism was one of the conditions which qualified affected children for special education programs, many of those children were diagnosed as mentally retarded in order to qualify them for special ed. Then, when the policy changed, genuinely autistic children were formally diagnosed as such. The reported rate increased dramatically, but the incidence did not. Merely changing the public policy did not, of itself, cause autism.

Too, the medical community has become more sensitive to autism in recent years. Any time diagnosticians become attuned to something new and different, the reported incidence goes up. One need look no farther than the increasing rates of ADHD among school children (and the subsequent “need” to medicate them) for a perfect example.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.