Crime in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Crime in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Have there been problems with vaccines? Yup. Nothing is perfect. But what about the following:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. In 1980, before widespread vaccination, measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.
    It remains one of the leading causes of death among young children globally, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine. An estimated 139 300 people died from measles in 2010 – mostly children under the age of five. (WHO)

Measles can be prevented by the combination MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine. In the decade before the measles vaccination program began, an estimated 3–4 million people in the United States were infected each year, of whom 400–500 died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and another 1,000 developed chronic disability from measles encephalitis. Widespread use of measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99% reduction in measles cases in the United States compared with the pre-vaccine era, and in 2009, only 71 cases of measles were reported in the United States. (CDC)

In the pre-vaccine era, pertussis was a common childhood disease and a major cause of child and infant mortality in the United States. Routine childhood vaccination led to a reduction in disease incidence from an average of 150 reported cases per 100,000 persons between 1922 and 1940, to 0.5 per 100,000 in 1976.[2] The incidence of reported pertussis began increasing in the 1980s. In 2009, the incidence of reported pertussis was 5.54 per 100,000 persons (CDC, unpublished data). While the reasons for this increase are not fully understood, multiple factors have likely contributed to the increase including waning immunity from childhood pertussis vaccines, increased recognition of the disease, and better diagnostic testing and increased reporting. The incidence of pertussis remains highest among young infants.[3,4] In 2009, most (12 of 14) pertussis-related deaths reported to CDC were among infants aged younger than 6 months, who were too young to have received three doses of DTaP vaccine (CDC, unpublished data). As of 2009, the second highest incidence of pertussis is observed among school-aged children and adolescents, and the proportion of cases in this age group appears to be increasing. (CDC)

Mumps: The first vaccine against mumps was licensed in the United States in 1967, and by 2005, high two-dose childhood vaccination coverage reduced disease rates by 99%. (CDC)

Diphtheria: A confirmed case has not been reported in not been reported in the US since 2004. Approximately 0.001 cases per 100,000 population in the US since 1980, before the introduction of the vaccine in the 1920s incidence was 100-200 cases per 100,000 population. (CDC)
    Polio: In the late 1940s to the early 1950s, in the United States alone, polio crippled around 35,000 people each year making it one of the most feared diseases of the twentieth century. By 1979 the country became polio free (CDC)

And lets not forget smallpox, which now exists only in cultures and not in the population.

Before you visit Panama, you need a typhus vaccination.

Should we stop working on a vaccine for river blindness? How about not working on a vaccine for malaria?

What about it Maravilla? Maybe we do away with all this research?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]if vacs were so effective, how come people who have been vac’d against those diseases then come down with them?

there used to be a time when nobody got vac’d for so many things. there have been many infant deaths reported from the multitude of vacs given at birth.[/quote]

First, as I explained previously, vaccines are formulated to prevent the most common strains of diseases. There are, as I wrote, hundreds of strains of influenza. It would not be practical to produce a single vaccine that would afford protection against them all, so the public health community directs the manufacturers to produce vaccines that will protect the greatest number of people against the greatest number of likely strains in any given flu season.

And as for “. . .many infant deaths reported from the multitude of vacs given at birth”, just how many is this “many”? What are the numbers? And who has reported them over what period of time?

The question you should be asking is not “how come people who have been vac’d . . then come down with them?” The question you should be asking is how many people who are vaccinated [u]do not[/u] come down with them?

And when you write that “there used to be a time when nobody got vac’d for so many things.” you fail to tell the whole story.

It’s true, in years gone by, not many folks were vaccinated against any or very many things. What you’ve left out, however, is that the death rates caused by those (now preventable) illnesses were vastly higher than today.

A large part of the increase in life expectancy in the past hundred years or so has come not at the end of life but at the beginning. The elimination of (now preventable) childhood diseases is a primary factor in the increase in longevity.

You can always make a weak case based on the outliers with regard to almost anything. For example, there’s good evidence that some folks have died in car accidents even though they were wearing seat belts. Some small number may have died [u]on account[/u] of the seat belts. But the smart money, borne out by mountains of actual scientific data, is on wearing your seat belts.

Similarly, I know of a case where an electrician was electrocuted while installing a ground wire. Does that suggest to you that we should eliminate grounded circuitry? What about water purification? Food sanitation? Sterile surgical procedure?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Today on [url=http://insidecostarica.com/2012/11/13/costa-rican-doctors-calling-for-pneumonia-vaccination-after-425-deaths-in-2011/]Insidecostarica[/url] doctors are calling for pneumonia vaccinations.

If we choose to live here, we have to consider, if we rely primarily, on how well the CAJA medical system can treat pneumonia and some of the other treatable diseases that can be transmitted if one decides not to get vaccinated.

It [b]isn’t[/b] necessary to have a typhus vaccination to visit Panama from Costa Rica. Nor is a Yellow fever vaccination required to travel [b]to[/b] CR from some other Central American countries, [b]if you are over 65[/b].

VictoriaLST

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Today on [url=http://insidecostarica.com/2012/11/13/costa-rican-doctors-calling-for-pneumonia-vaccination-after-425-deaths-in-2011/]Insidecostarica[/url] doctors are calling for pneumonia vaccinations.

If we choose to live here, we have to consider how well the CAJA medical system can treat pneumonia and some of the other treatable diseases that can be transmitted if one decides not to get vaccinated.

It [b]isn’t[/b] necessary to have a typhus vaccination to visit Panama from Costa Rica. Nor is a Yellow fever vaccination required to travel [b]to[/b] CR from some other Central American countries, [b]if you are over 65[/b].[/quote]

Sorry, it was recommended (state dept. I think) so we got the vaccination. No biggie and better safe than….

VictoriaLST

Oops, it was the CDC, which also recommended the Hep vaccine. Got that as well.

maravilla

you guys can have all the vac’s you want. i pass, so you can have my share. and then i saw this today, too:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/13/mmr-vaccine-ineffectiveness.aspx

Andrew
    Keymaster

In 1967 we were living in Sierra Leone when I flew off to boarding school in Scotland (I was 7 years old) and between the ages of 7 – 14 I was given many, many vaccines against various tropical disease some of which were required every year before I flew off to visit my parents in Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Ghana or Liberia..

Although it’s difficult to believe for most people in the “developed” world, there’s one story I’d like to share with you that sticks in my mind and anybody who has lived in places like Nigeria will understand this kind of thing happens way too often.. …

It’s really NOT related to what we’re discussing with traditional and proven vaccinations but …

As a very young man my mother and I had flown back to be with my father and as we waited to pass through immigration in Lagos (or it could have been Kano) the Chief was insisting on charging everyone for an additional vaccination that we already had..

We did not need it again…

Corruption is a big part of life there but my mother was terrified because they were using the same needle on everyone coming off the plane most of whom were Nigerians.

My mother thankfully refused to go through with this and after some angry words and a lot of tears, we had to get back on the plane otherwise I probably would not be typing this now …

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]you guys can have all the vac’s you want. i pass, so you can have my share.
    [/quote]

Gee, maravilla, does this mean you’ll pay for our annual flu shots??

VictoriaLST

[quote=”maravilla”]you guys can have all the vac’s you want. i pass, so you can have my share. and then i saw this today, too:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/13/mmr-vaccine-ineffectiveness.aspx

[/quote]

Oh Mara – I lived in NY. The Orthodox community doesn’t vaccinate no matter what your “report” says. And viruses mutate.

costaricabill
    Participant

Oh boy, here we go again, another “cat fight”!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”costaricabill”]Oh boy, here we go again, another “cat fight”![/quote]

Where have you been?

VictoriaLST

Meouuuuuuuuuuuu

pharg
    Participant

[/quote]
    And viruses mutate.[/quote]

…and speaking of mutate, the topic of this thread here is Crime in Costa Rica, which seems to have mutated to: “why I will/will not get vaccinated no matter what you say”.
    PEH

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”pharg”]
    …and speaking of mutate, the topic of this thread here is Crime in Costa Rica, which seems to have mutated to: “why I will/will not get vaccinated no matter what you say”.
    PEH[/quote]

. . . which is just one more example of forum drift.

pharg
    Participant

. . . which is just one more example of forum drift.
    [/quote]

I believe Scott has a vaccine for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.