Curious about living on the Caribbean coast?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Curious about living on the Caribbean coast?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

What are the pros and cons of living in the Caribbean coast?

I can understand the humidity, but is it so bad in Cocles, Cahuita, Manzanillo?

I also understand that it’s cheaper, is that correct?

bogino
    Participant

Have you been there to visit? If not then I would encourage you to do so for a week or 2.

It’s a different lifestyle than the rest of CR. More traditional Caribbean…i.e…very laid back and lazy type lifestyle. Humidity yes but the trade of to that is the lush beauty of the area.

Certainly a lot less in the way of commerce. Really nothing at all in between Puerto Viejo and Limon. Puerto Viejo is a quaint small town..has a grocery story..a bank…a gas station or maybe 2…

good restaurants but overall not much to do other than lay back and relax most of the time. Really just comes down to what you’re looking for.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This is only my personal feeling and clearly lots of people who are happily living on the Southern Caribbean coast think differently but although I love to visit the area, I couldn’t live there.

It’s beautiful, it’s natural and a little wild but it’s too small for me …

It reminds me of my years in Cayman in the way that if you lived there, you would know all the good restaurants and places to go in the first 60 days.

I prefer having a wider choice of things to do, different people to meet and places to go …

Scott

johnnyh

Thanks!

bogino
    Participant

The good thing is that CR is such a small country that it’s very easy to get from one location to the next. If, like the comment above, you wanted to live in a more vibrant neighborhood but wanted to maybe chill in Cahuita or Cocles for a few days, the drive would not be that long. I once drove from Jaco to Puerto Viejo in about 8 1/2 – 9 hours.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.