Driving to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Driving to Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rkreder

So, after an initial thought to drive from the US to Costa Rica, a lot of the things I have read seem to seriously discourage doing this. I have read a lot about the import taxes, but also saw where you could avoid that if you were only there for 6 months – I am planning a 6 month and perhaps more retreat to Costa Rica. I guess the questions are: (1) can you avoid the import tax if only present for 6 months and (2) is the trip down so dangerous and frought with border problems as to not be worth the experience.

Peg

If your seriously considering driving to Costa Rica, you may want to check out this website. It gives you a play by play account.
    http://www.drivemeloco.com

kevcosta

I drove here in May of 2004 with a friend that speaks better Spanish than me. It took us 12 days which was neither intense, long days of driving nor was it a siteseeing tour. The borders are a hassle yes. And yes, you can “avoid the taxes” on your vehicle for 6 months. If you want to know more, just ask. Kevin in San Juanillo

Jerry

I drove from Fla to CR 2 years ago in a van piled with stuff… bicycle, roll-away bed, boxes of household goods, etc. I had a friend with me. We spent 7 days on the road, haulin a** when possible, and driving fairly long hours. Never, not ONCE, were we stopped by Federales, and not once did we have to unload anything for inspection. Only once did any official even look in the van. My buddy was, is, a “longhair” too. Still, no hassel. The biggest problem we had on the whole trip was finding a room in the Tampico, Mexico area… abet, it was early evening on a Saturday Easter weekend!!! Drive, relax, and enjoy. Oh, by the way, I stuck to the Caribbean coast, then jogged to the Pacific side way south… avoid Mexico City like the PLAGUE. Jerry

noel2560

[quote=”Peg”]If your seriously considering driving to Costa Rica, you may want to check out this website. It gives you a play by play account.
    http://www.drivemeloco.com

[/quote]
    Thanks all sounds like it won’t be too much hassle, what about the fifth wheel?

Was on this site …..very good, informative sounds like an adventure!!!

ticorealtor

My wife and I were going to drive with our three year old daughter. After extensive planning such as talking to all the RSOs in the route we decided not to. The only area that we were concerned with is the Mexico boarder. At this moment the Zetas are stopping cars along the toll roads…. Also after what happened in many of the boarder towns we said no way.

Once you get past the Mexico boarder…it is smooth sailing..

We are now in Houston, shipped our car and waiting for Friday to fly to Cr. Traveled from MN and moving perm to CR, with a Dog and Cat.

maryfrix

[quote=”ticorealtor”]My wife and I were going to drive with our three year old daughter. After extensive planning such as talking to all the RSOs in the route we decided not to. The only area that we were concerned with is the Mexico boarder. At this moment the Zetas are stopping cars along the toll roads…. Also after what happened in many of the boarder towns we said no way.

We are now in Houston, shipped our car and waiting for Friday to fly to Cr. Traveled from MN and moving perm to CR, with a Dog and Cat.[/quote]

I’m jealous. Ah well….the English Bulldog “no-fly” embargo prevents us from more than vacationing. All the better for now I suppose.

sstarkey

[quote=”ticorealtor”] The only area that we were concerned with is the Mexico boarder. At this moment the Zetas are stopping cars along the toll roads…. Also after what happened in many of the boarder towns we said no way.

[/quote]
    I’m confused.

What do people who ride boards, (you know, surfers, snowboarders, etc.), not to mention, people reside in boarding houses, have to do with this thread?

I mean, for example, do boarders, like, throw their boards at you at border crossings…or something?

Just trying to understand what the real risk is.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The risk is that someone thinks that “boarders” are “borders”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.