English Website for Costa Rica’s INS Insurance

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum English Website for Costa Rica’s INS Insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bd97

My son is moving to Playa Del coco in June and we need to secure some medical insurance for him. Is the best thing to buy the INS insurance or will most any insurance for non-usa coverage work? I was only able to see the spanish website for INS so if there is an English version where I could see the information, that would help. Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

On Spanish, I’m afraid. Be aware that pre-existing conditions are not covered by INS.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There is an English-speaking INS agent, Juan Carlos Calero, at the Association of Residents of Costa Rica in San Jose with whom we deal. He is very helpful and could answer many of your questions.

Costaricafinca is correct that INS will exclude coverage for preexisting conditions. INS will, however, pay directly for many or all hospital costs whereas other international insurers are likely only to reimburse you after you have made the payment in full. Too, INS has no annual deductibles although there is a schedule of copays.

harvcarp

As mentioned previously, INS will cover some pre-existing conditions. In my case, I had stents and was subject to a surcharge of 130%. I currently have coverage with them.
    Cost is based on age. I use Juan Carlos too.

Harvey

bd97

Thanks for the information. My son has looked over the INS website as he speaks spanish and it doesn’t look like there is an online quote link so he is planning on going to their office in Liberia while he is there to check it out. But before he does, the main question is: will they cover someone on a tourist 90 day stay? He is planning on coming home every 85-90 days so that he can live in CR for 6 months – a year to see if this is where he wants to be long term. I imagine a lot of people do this to start out. Then, they proceed with the residency process…
    thanks again for the info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.