Esterillos Area

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Esterillos Area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sandalwood

Is there anyone living in this area that knows about a new development called Cabo Caletas? I would appreciate any insight on them. Thank you.

mcsolas

Im their web designer, and have been working closely with that project for about a year now. I should be able to answer some questions for you 🙂

This one is turning heads, primarily because of their location.

They have roughly 1 k of highway frontage which extends to 1 k of beach frontage. To the north, it borders the wildlife refuge known as Refugio National de Vida Silvestre. Several kilometers of pristine beaches extend in that direction. I consider this to be one of the most beautiful areas I have seen in costa rica.

I often turn down chances to work for developers in the area ( seems to be a dime a dozen, I turned down several this week! ). The owners of this project are conducting themselves in a very thoughtful manner, and have established good relations with neighboring land owners, the local municipalies & the wildlife refuge.

Im proud to be a part of this one, and enjoy every minute I have spent on site. I used to hike hours to the wildlife refuge to surf a few waves I liked, I feel so lucky to end up getting a job from the guy who bought the neighboring farm!

– Michael Cruden

Edited on Jun 16, 2007 13:37

dkt2u

I live in Esterillos Oeste and know Aaron Dowd, one of the principles involved in this project. I would agree with Michael that the principles are as I would decribe, “doing it right”. This is not a low end, inexpensive project, so the price and size may turn off some investors. They are not giving buyers an unrealistic impression as to the time frame for the total project to be completed. For a project of this size, this really is one of the best properties along the central Pacific coast line.

sandalwood

Thank you for the replies. So you agree they are a QUALITY not quantity development company. That they are committed and financially sound to finish the project (as far as you know). I did receive some info from them and they state the golf course will not be completed until at least 2009. Do you know if any work has started on this project or is it still all on paper? I did google the principals and know Aaron Dowd Sr. has done extensive developments in Florida and Tim Whitmire is owner of Whitmire custom homes in Georgia and has won many local awards. Thank you for any other info you might want to pass on.

dkt2u

I have taken several clients through the property. They have some rough roads grated in that can be driven through to see the property and some of the lots that have been staked off. John and Brenda who head up the sales office are able to take clients on a tour through the property and point out some of the lots that are available and where the golf course is actually going to be. John is an avid golfer and he and Brenda have actually purchased a lot for themselves in the project. They are over 50% sold out now on the fisrt phase condo units and are scheduled to break ground on this first building soon. A lot this time of year depends on the rainy season, which we are just going into the heart of. I do believe they are committed and have sound financial backing though. One thing I have appreciated about them is their realistic time tables.

grifz77

But with the prices these properties are going for…is this sustainable? If the global economy takes a dip…which isn’t unrealistic…properties like this may feel a bigger pinch. Would this type of development be comparable to Los Suenos? I know there isn’t a marina but with regards to quality…where would it stand in relation to Los Suenos?

mcsolas

Cabo is really going to stand out. A lot of people are talking about it and its just offering its first 2 phases.

I am turning down a lot of chances to pick up jobs with these ‘other’ developments around here… they are offered to me on almost a daily basis. I do not feel all will be successful projects, and I am also worried about the potentials mentioned.

However, if there is one that is worth the asking price.. this one might be it.

The level of detail that has gone into the planning phase has been refined numerous times. I sat there, working on my part and watching the whole plan progress. I have learned a lot watching Aaron (Jr. & Sr.) & company in action.

Even geographical factors have this one looking better than the others. The cape much more temperate and mild than the bays of jaco / herradura… the bays create inversions and its pretty common for afternoons to just be sweltering.

cbutrainer

How about the smaller development up the road from Cabo Caletas called Costa Rica LTD. Has anybody done any research on it. It looks and seems like it also is being done well.

dkt2u

The project you are referring to is called “The Hills of Esterillos” I personally do not recemmend that project to any of my clients. I first questioned the quality of their contruction when I went into their model/sales office and noticed almost a 1 inch gap in the window frame in the kitchen area. Granted, the maker of the window probably screwed up on the size, but one would think you would go the extra mile to make everything as perfect as possible on something you were using as a model of your product. Many people are questioning how the lots are being cut as well. If you drive by the project right now you will see sand bags on the sides of several lots to hold them up. We know someone personally that did buy in that project and their home was just completed recently. When they arrived, different tile had been installed in the kitchen than what they had ordered and the layout of the laundry room location had been changed without their consent. There were already cracks in the plaster coating on some interior walls. This is a house that was just completed a few months ago. The project is inexpensive compared to most others, but their starting price of $129,000 is for a house that is only 680 sq feet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.