Exchanging License Plates

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Exchanging License Plates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

There is some confusion about just what the requirement is or will be for obtaining new Costa Rican license plates for privately owned passenger cars. My attorney told me last night that the only time we’ll ever need to change ours is when the current ones are too badly deteriorated to pass Riteve or when they’re stolen.

Today’s Inside Costa Rica, however, reports that passenger cars will need to obtain new plates sometime in 2013 but the dates haven’t been set. On the other hand, car owners can apply for new plates now.

Has anyone actually gone to the Correo, sent in their old plates, and obtained new ones? I ask because we’re headed to the States in July and the car will sit unused. That would be an ideal time to get the new plates.

maravilla

it said that passenger cars would be required to do this in 2013, not now. plus they are charging $30 for the new plates. my plates are fine but i guess in 2013 i will have to change them no matter what?

costaricafinca
    Participant

We had to replace ours a few months ago, and it took nearly a month due to [i]Samana Santa[/i] and Murphy’s Law.
    Our plates were ‘held’ at the post office for two weeks! They hadn’t noticed the the two numbers on the registration and my husbands passport didn’t match, after accepting them, so just kept them there…
    He retrieved them, got the passport number on the truck registration changed into his [i]cedula[/i] number and took them to [i]Registro[/i] in Liberia. Three days later he picked them up
    My husband who by now had learned the correct method, took the plates of another vehicle into Registro, and again they were replaced within the 3 days.

[b]Take plates/registration/passport/cedula juridica (if in corp) to the Registro or PO.[/b]

I would suggest going the Registro route, who will ‘courier them’ free, for the quickest replacement. where they will hold them for you, I’m sure, until you return, while the PO may return them 🙄

I did not know you could change license plates through the post office…… However, I had to change my plates 1 year ago, for RITEVE, and I am definitely NOT willing to buy new ones again, such short time after paying 8000 Colones or something like that, plus 2 trips from Tilaran to Liberia/Registro. If they insist on new plates for EVERY single car, this would be almost 1 million cars, x $15 or $20 …. I think this would just be another way (after the new corp.taxes) to collect another bunch of money to feed government employees and useless policemen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.