Finally coming to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Finally coming to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]While I realize that you want to take boat tours because of your interest in building boats, this will [b]not[/b] give you the insight of living in Costa Rica.
    There are no tours offered to tourists that explain unexplainable procedures and how to deal with bureaucracy that one has to get used to … :roll:[/quote]

trying to please the wife and havea balance, so for me, doing a lot of cultural inquiry in a limited time and for her, to try to get her more “onboard” if you will, about CR…hence, trying to line up some things I know she and I would both like….if it was just me, then different story..

costaricafinca
    Participant

I thought you had said you were coming on your own.
    While I understand what you are doing now, you could give her the totally wrong idea of what living here, is all about.
    To see boats, you should head to [url=http://www.lsrm.com/]Los Suenos marina[/url] where luxury is the key to the good life, or so I am told. 😛 Again, this isn’t the real Costa Rica.
    When are you intending to travel?

costaricabill
    Participant

no, no no no!
    I have met and usually agree with costaricaricafinca, but not this time!
    do not, repeat, do not go to las suenos if you have any illusions about seeing the real costa rica! For your wife to see that, you would have to buy there to make her believe she is “in Costa Rica”!
    The truth is that if that is what you want you should cancel your trip, save your money and go to and move to Hilton Head!!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]costaricabill[/b] isn’t that what I said 🙄
    Definitely, that’s what I meant!!! But they will see some nice ‘boats’ won’t they?
    [b]Camby[/b] seems to be trying to [i]persuade[/i][b][/b] his wife to move here, and to me this is asking for [size=200]big[/size] trouble …

DavidCMurray
    Participant

It seems to me that Sr. and Sra. camby would be best served by taking an organized tour of Costa Rica to give themselves a chance to fall in love with the place. George Lundquist’s monthly excursion for expats thinking of retiring here would be my first choice. If that experience doesn’t convince them, then they should make another plan.

Then, if they also want to sightsee, they could hardly do better than Caravan Tours’ tour of the touristy places.

But whatever Sr. camby does, it would be a terrible mistake to try to “persuade” his wife to relocate here. If she doesn’t fall in love with the place too, it’s a guaranteed round trip to somewhere in the States.

There’s an old saying that applies in this situation: “Happy wife . . . happy life.” Take it to heart!

camby

Hope in short time there, she might at least see and be interested and go from there…I am open minded, she much less so, sorta of that mindset of “why leave the US” that so many have. IF she likes it, will then make her think more about CR and perhaps, a return trip, longer……..
    She was reluctant to go at all, but hoping she will like it and perhaps, want to look more into possibility of coming back and/or staying…..sort of like dipping foot in the shallow end of pool, testing the water, etc.

David noted well ” it would be a terrible mistake to try to “persuade” his wife to relocate here. If she doesn’t fall in love with the place too”
    We both need to come and see and allow to either fall in love or not with CR. For her, she is more into touristy, so we compromise a bit to do things she would like to do, as well as I…

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I must tell you that we first came to CR in January of 2005 for two weeks. Four days of that time was devoted to George Lundquist’s tour which we found to be invaluable.

After about three days here, we wondered aloud what we’d do for the remaining eleven days in “this very unattractive place”. It really was disconcerting. Then, a couple of days later, the veil lifted and we began to appreciate the place not just from a scenic perspective but also as regards the people, the government (no military was a great attraction), etc.

We moved here in September of 2005 and have been back to the U.S. six times since. Every time, we find that we miss the U.S. less and that we’re more anxious to come home.

Point is, a change of perspective can happen if you let it.

camby

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]I must tell you that we first came to CR in January of 2005 for two weeks. Four days of that time was devoted to George Lundquist’s tour which we found to be invaluable.

After about three days here, we wondered aloud what we’d do for the remaining eleven days in “this very unattractive place”. It really was disconcerting. Then, a couple of days later, the veil lifted and we began to appreciate the place not just from a scenic perspective but also as regards the people, the government (no military was a great attraction), etc.

We moved here in September of 2005 and have been back to the U.S. six times since. Every time, we find that we miss the U.S. less and that we’re more anxious to come home.

Point is, a change of perspective can happen if you let it.
    [/quote]

Thank you for sharing and some great words of wisdom, esp in your last line! I plan to take that to heart and try to observe, have fun and accept CR for what it is-good and bad. I think that probably would be my take to, your comment on missing it less and less. Certainly would love a change in general, but to get out of this rather toxic environment of work, stress, consumerism that seems to grip the US. And, yes, agree on your thoughts on Govt,etc.
    Seems that too many Americans have this entrenched view that there is nowhere else in the world or if so, those places lack in some way. Read a reviewer noting that CR was a “third world country” and thoug hthere are poor areas, of course, anywhere, was I thought rather indictive and smug that grips so many.
    Glad you are doing well and adjusted(ing). Again, perhaps this small visit might spark within us both something bigger. Going to take it as it comes, not try to change it and enjoy.:D

lvc1028

As everyone else has said, if you have to ‘convince’ your wife that CR is for her, you are setting yourself up for disaster. I’ve met two couples (only acquaintances) who started out in CR together, but it was more of the husbands’ dreams than the wives. Needless to say, one guy is still here alone as his wife wanted to go home to be near the grandchildren. The other wife went home to work and the husband stayed here alone–the house went up for sale and he has since gone back.

It just doesn’t work unless both are on board. It’s like a couple deciding to have children…it’s either 2 yes or 1 no.

Those ‘convinced’ against their will, are of the same opinion still.

Don’t take her to beautiful, wealthy areas…take her to the real Costa Rica where she gets to mingle with the locals, eat the sodas, etc. She wouldn’t be happy with a ‘bait and switch’.

Keep us posted.

David the “happy wife happy life” comment just cracked me up. Thanks for making my day brighter and for “espousing” (get it??)a truism that should be printed on every married man’s drivers license. Still laughing, thanks again!!

Taking a different tack for a moment, the various writers are correct in that this cannot be a one way decision. I invested time with and for my wife in regard to CR and from the first “jaundiced eyes” look I got, now she is mentally invested in taking CR for a test ride. May I suggest you involve friends or finding some other folks you know who have been to CR. I am just amazed at how many of my friends and customers have been to CR and I get little negative feedback. First person/second person feedback is so important as then you have someone to backstop your idea that isn’t vested in YOUR plan(s.) It is amazing to me how many folks have endorsed our test ride idea and I find through this site people close to me (like within 30 miles) who have been there, are going back and are more than willing to visit us and give us their impressions. Outside feedback is so critical; I value it highly and being as it’s on the net, my wife and I read the same things, thus taking away any emotion from the decision to take a shot at it. Good luck, open up to those you know and you will find feedback available to you.

costaricafinca
    Participant

If one is speaking to folk near you, this probably means that they have visited but not necessarily [b]lived[/b] here. While at least they may familiar with tourist places here, it at least is better info than none at all, although it will be like comparing apples to oranges. Many ‘Snowbirds’ come here every year but are glad to return ‘home’.
    When the ‘honeymoon period’ is over and the ‘rose tinted glasses’ are off, and you are trying to deal with the bureaucracy that at ‘home’ would be easy, you will find that patience must be learned.
    After living here for 12 years, like [b]Loraine[/b], I have known at least 6 couples that have returned, either together or alone, because the wife missed the grandchildren or their old routine, so this is not an uncommon predicament. I also know others who are still wrestling with this issue or are still trying to sell the homes.
    A test drive should be [b]much[/b] longer than a weeks vacation.
    An important fact to know that is is much easier to buy property, than it is to sell it.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I think crf makes many good points above. It really is critical to become comfortable (or uncomfortable, as the case may be) with the real Costa Rica, the one you’d be immersed in if you really did make this move.

In another discussion thread, costaricabill mentions paying for meals at restaurants that post their prices in dollars with U.S. dollars. Makes sense to me. But that is not typical of Costa Rica and if you confine your visit to such places, you will not only miss much of the richness of this wonderful country but also some of the poorness. To appreciate what you’d be getting into, you have to get out on the street.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]In another discussion thread, costaricabill mentions paying for meals at restaurants that post their prices in dollars with U.S. dollars. Makes sense to me. But that is not typical of Costa Rica and if you confine your visit to such places, you will not only miss much of the richness of this wonderful country but also some of the poorness. To appreciate what you’d be getting into, you have to get out on the street.[/quote]

David – I am not promoting restaurants with $$ menus – conversely, I am only trying to make people aware of the “rip-off” that can occur at such places …… which unfortunately I have experienced in San Jose, Escazu, Santa Ana, Alueja, Heredia, La Garita, Puntarenasa, Nicoya, Tamagringo, Playa del Coco, LIberia, Playa Avellanas, La Fortuna, and yes, even here where I live in Playa Samara.

All I am saying is – keep a few USD $$ in your pocket or purse to avoid being ripped off!

Isn’t that one of the points of this forum??

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Bill, helping folks not be taken advantage of absolutely IS one of the objectives of this forum and I agree (and agreed) with everything you said in the matter. If I somehow offended you, please accept my apology.

All I meant to express is that if a newcomer confines himself or herself to those restaurants and other establishments that so cater to the expat and tourist trade that they post prices only in U.S. dollars, those newcomers won’t be exposed to the larger (and real) Costa Rica.

It’s as if to say that eating at McDonald’s in the mall is somehow like patronizing the sodas. Yes, they’re both small fast food establishments, but McDonald’s is hardly reflective of Costa Rican restaurants.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.