Finally coming to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Finally coming to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

David –
    Absolutely no offense taken! It was a rhetorical question.

maravilla

i would definitely fall in love with costa rica if someone took me to los suenos!!! just like i fell in love with monte carlo when i went to Hotel de Paris — at $350 a night, what’s not to love??? but there is something for everyone’s budget here; that’s the good news. and david is right — an organized tour might be a good thing, and some wandering around time after that.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I remember a post, where someone, after spending a month at Los Suenos, wrote they were moving to Costa Rica … and I responded by saying [i]’that ain’t the real Costa Rica'[/i] so don’t base a decision to move on that experience, no matter how wonderful it was. There is no way, it can be duplicated [i]anywhere[/i] else in Costa Rica.
    However, there are many other great places, and it’s [i]’different strokes for different folks'[/i] as the saying goes.

camby

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Bill, helping folks not be taken advantage of absolutely IS one of the objectives of this forum and I agree (and agreed) with everything you said in the matter. If I somehow offended you, please accept my apology.

All I meant to express is that if a newcomer confines himself or herself to those restaurants and other establishments that so cater to the expat and tourist trade that they post prices only in U.S. dollars, those newcomers won’t be exposed to the larger (and real) Costa Rica.

It’s as if to say that eating at McDonald’s in the mall is somehow like patronizing the sodas. Yes, they’re both small fast food establishments, but McDonald’s is hardly reflective of Costa Rican restaurants.
    [/quote]

True, would love more time and to really get into some “everyday’ areas to really get feel for country. Wife wanted to stay a little more touristy, so its give and take a bit. She is enthuased to see CR and I finally get to come…..did tell her to think about eating local, as its cheaper, likely better and get more cultural feel…..Noted to her the hotel and toursity areas will be more pricey..just like in teh states, likely, not as good nor interesting either..

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A couple of years ago, my best friend made his first visit to us here in Costa Rica. In the run-up to his arrival, he mentioned being anxious to sample “Costa Rican cuisine”. Well, he was in for a disappointment.

We eat in the local establishments and have always felt well taken care of, but to call most of the everyday restaurant food “cuisine” would be a stretch.

Now, it’s true that there are some very fine restaurants scattered about, but they’re hardly cheap and they’re hardly commonplace. If your wife wants “cuisine”, be prepared to stick to the touristy places and to pay for the privilege. If you or she want to experience what Costa Rican food is really all about, seek out the “tipico” places.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”camby”]
    True, would love more time and to really get into some “everyday’ areas to really get feel for country. Wife wanted to stay a little more touristy, so its give and take a bit. She is enthuased to see CR and I finally get to come…..did tell her to think about eating local, as its cheaper, likely better and get more cultural feel…..Noted to her the hotel and toursity areas will be more pricey..just like in teh states, likely, not as good nor interesting either..[/quote]

Camby – just as with the difference in places to eat, you (she) will probably want to know about the grocery shopping opportunities. (Sorry, Maravilla but I am only trying to express the “range of opportunities”, not any recommendations)…..

Anyway, you should ask about when and where the local feria is held. It’s a local fruit and vegetable market and most areas have it once a week or so. It’s a great experience.

Then there are the local sodas (or pulperias, or abasticidors) that are your small family-operated neighborhood markets. That is where we do 75% of our routine weekly shopping.

There are also “chain stores” here, most of which you won’t be familiar with, like Pali, Super Compro, Max-Pali, Mas a Menos, Jumbo, etc. In Samara, our largest grocery is one of the smaller Pali markets, but 35 minutes away in Nicoya we can access a Super Compro or Maxi Pali. (Several of these chains are owned by WalMart.)

In Coco, you will want to make sure she sees the Auto Mercado – it is as nice as any grocery store in N.C., and you can find many U.S. brand products there that you can’t find elsewhere (at least not in Guanacaste) – but for a price!

Directly across from Auto Mercado is Luperon (one of our favorites!) It is a large store with great selection (and prices!)

Liberia hosts a large selection of other opportunities, most notably Jumbo (where do all those expats come from?). Also in Coco you will hear about Pippo’s. It is a great Italian deli and food supplier that is about 5-7 minutes SW of the Liberia Airport as you head toward Coco. Great selection of wine, deli meats, cheese, oils, pastas, etc.

Of course, in the central valley there are the giant Walmart Stores.

The great part about shopping here is the “adventure”. It is almost like a scavenger hunt. You start out with a list and a destination – – and before you return home you have been to maybe 2-3 sodas, one of the larger markets, the meat market, the bakery, the fish vendor, the veggie market, etc. etc. If everything on the list is checked off you feel like you have accomplished something!

You can make it a local adventure or a day trip. We often gather up our cold bag, a couple of friends and head out in the morning, often with no real itinerary. We’ll stop in Nicoya for a coffee and a great pastry, then on to Liberia, stopping at Pippo’s going or coming, head into Coco and hit Auto Mercado and Luperon, and of course stop along the way for a great lunch, possibly at Texas Bar BQ in Coco or one of the local restaurants in Belen or Santa Cruz. We’re often home by mid-late afternoon after filling our food basket, spending day with friends, seeing great scenery and always encountering a little bit of frustration along the way…..just to balance things out! Of course, also on the “plus side” are all the great Ticos and friendly smiles you encounter throughout the day!

Living here IS an adventure. It takes a while to figure it out and gear down to the right pace, but once you hit your stride, there is nothing else like it!

camby

Just got back from CR Friday and already down in the dumps about sitting in this windowless cube, home for looks like next 20 yrs….
    Had a great time, despite the rain at times…

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”camby”]Just got back from CR Friday and already down in the dumps about sitting in this windowless cube, home for looks like next 20 yrs….
    Had a great time, despite the rain at times…[/quote]

So where did you go and what did you do?

costaricafinca
    Participant

It doesn’t sound like a move is in the near future [b]Camby[/b]… or is it? 😉

camby

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”camby”]Just got back from CR Friday and already down in the dumps about sitting in this windowless cube, home for looks like next 20 yrs….

So where did you go and what did you do?[/quote]

Stayed in Playa Hermosa and mainly toured and looked around that area, plus Coco, Liberia and Palo Verde National Park, reserves,etc…..some upper end, some very humble….

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]It doesn’t sound like a move is in the near future [b]Camby[/b]… or is it? :wink:[/quote]

Wife had good time, but still not sure about any move, she is like many in USA….that said, looking into ways to earn income, which is biggest hurdle and also, settle some things in the USA which for her, has put any investments,etc on hold….

camby

Earning income,etc is biggest part of the hold up…..for her, its not willing to face facts that things are not going to stay here in USA rosy nor improve, wants to live in fantasy land about things going on and coming…….

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]camby, [/b]it is important to recognize your wife’s hesitation, because coming here without you both ‘being on board’ is the recipe for disaster.
    Too many have come as a couple and only one of them returning.
    Maybe time will make make a difference.
    This is why it is important to come and see the country, first hand and not just pack up your belongings.

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]camby, [/b]it is important to recognize your wife’s hesitation, because coming here without you both ‘being on board’ is the recipe for disaster.
    Too many have come as a couple and only one of them returning.
    Maybe time will make make a difference.
    This is why it is important to come and see the country, first hand and not just pack up your belongings.[/quote]

of course

lvc1028

[quote=”camby”][quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”camby”]Just got back from CR Friday and already down in the dumps about sitting in this windowless cube, home for looks like next 20 yrs….

So where did you go and what did you do?[/quote]

Stayed in Playa Hermosa and mainly toured and looked around that area, plus Coco, Liberia and Palo Verde National Park, reserves,etc…..some upper end, some very humble….[/quote]

You do sound ‘down in the dumps’. You were so looking forward to your trip but you haven’t said much about your thoughts or if you plan to go back, etc. Was it what you expected?

Like you, I have many years to retirement, but it didn’t stop me from purchasing land (I could only imagine how expensive it would be in another 10 years). Owning that property gives me a goal to work toward and it’s fun working on the land while I’m here.

We’re here now and it feels SO good! This place revitalizes me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.