Garbage

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Garbage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rebecca

I can’t seem to find information on what folks do with their garbage….paper/cans/non-edible waste. Do towns have organized garbage pick-up or dumps where you have to take it? What about “gated communities” We’re looking on the coast in the Jaco area and south so interested in this area specifically.

dbdartist

Rebeca,
    So far I have found that when you live within a township, Ciudade or city, they have garbage pick-up. When living out of town the method seems to be recycle centers for all aluminum, metal, paper and cardboard and glass at the closest city or town, while composting all garbage, chipping brush and burning whats left in a burn barrel or pit.
    Larger developments or the like could have their own garbage pick-up or contractors you would have to ask.
    Buena suerte Rebeca, Don

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I can’t speak to gated communities, but my perception is that trash collection is a local matter. Some neighborhoods vote to have it; others don’t. My neighborhood does not, and people burn and bury their trash. I find that unacceptable.

We learned that for c14,500 per year we could take our trash down the hill to the point at which there is twice-weekly pickup and leave it for the trash collectors, so that’s what we do. We paid for this privilege at the Municipalidad.

dkt2u

In Esterillos Oeste the garbage service is included along with our water bill. It is itemized as a seperate charge but only amounts to 400 colones a month. While 14,500 colones is not a lot of money, I would venture to guess 75% of that, if not all of it is going into someone’s pocket and not actually paying for the “privilege”. I find that much more unacceptable than people burning and burying thier trash.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.