gps for getting around C.R.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum gps for getting around C.R.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scara

can any of you recomend a hand held gps for walking and driving is costa rica?

albertoB

I am using a Magellan. It works pretty good for leaving bread trails to find my way home.

Of course it doesn’t have any maps of Costa Rica but I haven’t found one that does.
    Alberto

*Lotus

There is a store offering GPS devices just across from the Hampton suites hotel near the airport.

Any idea on the name of the store or a phone number.

grb1063

There is satellite imagery available on Google Earth for the central valley, but outside of that there is not any detailed imagery. They are continually photographing the rest of the world rather quickly to build a global image for the new 3D generation spatial touch screen computer systems. As far as GPS, there are various maps that can be downloaded for local use, but you will find that acuracy in the outlying areas is often off, as is the NatGeo Map of Costa Rica. I wonder if the topographic maps that are avalable for CR have been downloaed into computer format? That would be the ticket.

SusanC

We have a Garmin Nuvi 750 (2, actually) with Costa Rica maps from NavSatCR.com. The Garmin was less than $200 at Sam’s Club.

You can the maps on E-bay, either software or a memory chip. Thinks it runs about $145.

The maps have been fairly good, and the point-of-interest database is very good, very extensive.

BUT (in VERY LARGE TYPE)
    The software can sometimes lead you to some unusual ways of reaching where you want to go. Even though we had the “no dirt roads” option turned on, it tried to get us to take one near Turrialba, at night, in the rain.

We have found that if you keep going on the main road, it will recalculate and find another path.

We’ve been pretty dependent on it and it has done a pretty good job for us.

Good Luck!

sprite

Google Earth has pretty detailed images of the San Ramon, Palmares area. The roads and structures are identifiable.

bogus1

We have a Nuvi also and had the CR map loaded by a company in San Jose – works great

scara

how expensive are they? we heard electronics are more expensive in the states..are we better off buying one stateside then paying additional for the softwaremaps or getting one preloaded in cr and if so where?
    thanks alot..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.