Gringo In Prison

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Gringo In Prison

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

This morning I received this email from a US attorney:

————————————-

“Also for the first time read the “gringo doing time” article and since I worked for the atty general child support division here for 6 years, can tell you that his situation isn’t different from many U.S. folks who owe child support – same issues re underemployment and incarceration not subject to being out on bail, no two for one credit for time served, etc., so if he thinks that Costa Rica is unique in the way he was treated, the very same thing could happen to him in the U.S. tho’ the jails MIGHT be better!”

————————————–

Sleep tight!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

daboss06

Wait a minute here–this guy Terry wasn’t slacking on child support payments. He states he had NO children with this woman, and actually only lived with her for 7 weeks…

“Also for the first time read the “gringo doing time” article and since I worked for the atty general child support division here for 6 years, can tell you that his situation isn’t different from many U.S. folks who owe child support – same issues re underemployment and incarceration not subject to being out on bail, no two for one credit for time served, etc., so if he thinks that Costa Rica is unique in the way he was treated, the very same thing could happen to him in the U.S. tho’ the jails MIGHT be better!”

sprite

[quote=”daboss06″]Scott,
    Additional installments of this story make me cringe when I read about Nam vets being taken advantage of by the unfair legal system in Costa Rica. That, along with the reports of mudslides and torrential rains and the general cost of living increases actually DIScourages me from thinking about retiring in Costa Rica.

I am confused by your first point; Why would alleged unfair treatment of a vet be any more of a concern for you than if it had been a non-vet?
    And why would a foreign country, especially one which opposes having a military, give a good goddamn one way or the other about the military service in a foreign army of a law breaking immigrant? That has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

Regarding rainy weather and mudslides, there are also the occasional earth tremors and volcanic eruptions in Costa Rica. But the weather can be troublesome just about anywhere on the planet. I find Costa Rican weather to be the most pleasant I have experienced.

The cost of living in the US is still higher than in Costa Rica.

Perhaps US veterans are better off staying in the country they defended where they are treated so well and where weather related disasters are unheard of. (Does New Orleans count as part of the US?)

daboss06

[b]I am confused by your first point; Why would alleged unfair treatment of a vet be any more of a concern for you than if it had been a non-vet?[/b]
    I guess because this guy obviously didn’t have all his oars in the water, vet or non-vet.
    [b]And why would a foreign country, especially one which opposes having a military, give a good goddamn one way or the other about the military service in a foreign army of a law breaking immigrant? That has absolutely nothing to do with this situation[/b].
    Point taken, sprite. Maybe it’s the issue of how fair the law is in these instances? I also wonder why there was no effort on the part of the US Embassy there to intervene or somehow assist these US citizens living abroad?
    [b]Regarding rainy weather and mudslides, there are also the occasional earth tremors and volcanic eruptions in Costa Rica. But the weather can be troublesome just about anywhere on the planet. I find Costa Rican weather to be the most pleasant I have experienced.[/b]
    We have hurricanes in Florida, yet that’s where I live. I don’t think we’re here to talk about the weather.:D I was making conversation, that’s all.
    [b]The cost of living in the US is still higher than in Costa Rica[/b].
    Depends on how you want to live. I suspect that how I live in the US would cost me more in Costa Rica. I remember restaurant meals in CR in 04 and 05 being about the same as they were here in Florida. My preferred timeshare resort in Guanacaste has doubled my per diem costs since then. Anything I’d consider worth buying in CR is $200K+, and the equivalent home here is half that. If I compromised on my lifestyle–that’s a different story. I do own two acres of rough campground down near Parrita, guess I could pitch a tent and live off the land, and in that case, yes my cost of living would be less in Costa Rica LOL:lol:

[b]Perhaps US veterans are better off staying in the country they defended where they are treated so well and where weather related disasters are unheard of. (Does New Orleans count as part of the US?)[/b]
    You might be right about that one, sprite. Not sure if New Orleans is still part of the US, though…:roll:

sprite

The cost of living in Costa Rica IS as high as living in the States when you transplant a North American lifestyle to within a gated community in Costa Rica….which begs the question: why move to CR if you want to live like an North American?

Are you looking for a way to stretch your money by exploiting lower paid labor and cheaper priced consumer goods and services? Well, then, just stay in the States and support the Federal government’s efforts at opening up the borders to unchecked immigration. Then you’ll have all the cheap labor from Mexico and other places to go along with all the cheap imported goods from China that have flooded the economy.

Looking for a better life in Costa Rica should have some kind of cultural aspect to it and less focus on the economics.

2bncr

I vote Sprite the Heathen Eunch (interesting acronym SHE) for one-eyed king in the land of the blind! My man why so judgemental? Funny thing about the taste of sour grapes is that they are always sour… Drink some wine and chill out. BTW are you a vet? If not you wil have no idea of the SERVICE these brave unselfish people perform for virtually free. Some actually give up their lives protecting you. Show some appreciation.

sprite

[quote=”2bncr”] Some actually give up their lives protecting you. Show some appreciation.[/quote]

I have no regard or respect for anyone who volunteers to put on a uniform and kill to defend corporate interests. Period. It does not matter if a volunteer does this in ignorance. It is still a crime against humanity.

I believe that wars are the result of bad people who want to take our property and freedoms from us but these bad people are NOT the same ones you believe are responsible. And this is the big difference. Wars are designed and planned just as economic recessions and depressions are planned and the purpose is the same; they want to dispossess working people of their property and freedoms.

Soldiers, regardless of their nationality, are all employees of these bad people. It is difficult for me to feel sorry for soldiers. Even if they put on uniforms in ignorance, the amount of damage they do is so great that I prefer to reserve pity for the innocent people they maim and kill. Once you open your eyes to the reality of what is going on in the world, old misconceptions melt away quickly.

johnr

This entire topic could be a book on it’s own just based on the libido stories. Sprite – really? Get a life.

2bncr

“Soldiers, regardless of their nationality, are all employees of these bad people. It is difficult for me to feel sorry for soldiers.”

Nobody is looking for you pitty, just appreciation. You think you can protect yourself all by your little lonesome in this big bad world… think again. It takes aliances and that is what its all about. You simplistic rationale is .. mind numbing and irrationale. I see by your response that you are named appropriately

sprite

[quote=”johnr”]This entire topic could be a book on it’s own just based on the libido stories. Sprite – really? Get a life.[/quote]

Get a life? I am expressing an opinion about the most basic and consequential aspect of our lives to day and you see it as an inconsequential waste of time? OK. To each his own. But I am just not in the mood these days to shut up when faced with the same old lies and misconceptions. There are other threads here about gardening and insect control and where to find a good burger in Costa Rica. If that is what YOUR life is about, you can go there. I promise you I won’t jump in and criticize your life or opinions there, because I just don’t read those threads.

sprite

[quote=”2bncr”]”Soldiers, regardless of their nationality, are all employees of these bad people. It is difficult for me to feel sorry for soldiers.”

Nobody is looking for you pitty, just appreciation. You think you can protect yourself all by your little lonesome in this big bad world… think again. It takes aliances and that is what its all about. You simplistic rationale is .. mind numbing and irrationale. I see by your response that you are named appropriately[/quote]

That is a clever observation about my name. Kudos.

But I still take issue with your demand that I show appreciation to people whose actions may have included destroying buildings and murdering and maiming women and children, also known as collateral damage in their terminology. I do NOT have to appreciate their immoral actions just as I do not have to respect indefensible, stupid religious beliefs.

You are wrong. They are wrong. I don’t have any obligation to respect unsubstantiated beliefs or to appreciate immoral actions. Do you?

I don’t remember ever asking anyone to kill on my behalf.
    I never voted for such a thing either. Maybe you did. That is YOUR burden, not mine and no amount of “appreciation” from others is going to erase that immorality just as no amount of “respect” is going to make the ridiculous beliefs of religion any less false.

johnr

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”johnr”]This entire topic could be a book on it’s own just based on the libido stories. Sprite – really? Get a life.[/quote]

Get a life? I am expressing an opinion about the most basic and consequential aspect of our lives to day and you see it as an inconsequential waste of time? OK. To each his own. But I am just not in the mood these days to shut up when faced with the same old lies and misconceptions. There are other threads here about gardening and insect control and where to find a good burger in Costa Rica. If that is what YOUR life is about, you can go there. I promise you I won’t jump in and criticize your life or opinions there, because I just don’t read those threads.[/quote]

I’m about as left leaning a liberal as they come but I also believe in the right to bear arms and having a strong military. The military history of the United States, although checkered also has some basis for my ability to vistit Costa Rica several times a year, feel relatively safe doing so and the ability to meet other gringos such as you and your wife (although we have never met) living the lifestyle they do in a beautiful country.

In the thread about the Iwo visiting Costa Rica – Scott mentioned that the Royal Marine Commandos did not do “humanitarian” work, yet I have to believe that at least while he was part of this elite military command, deep down he felt he was at least protecting not only his fellow soldiers but the average Joe such as yourself.

More people need to at least appreciate the fact that the soldiers, who do a thankless job, provide at least some of the luxury of freedom that most people take for granted.

I will agree with you that I perhaps harsh in stating that you should “get a life” however I also think that sometimes a harsh comment can also make one pause and reflect on ones own inner beliefs.

With that – I’ll stick to commenting on great burgers, nachos and home made ice cream or the price of beer increasing and leave both the political and military commentary to more radical bulletin boards.:lol:

2bncr

Sprite,

Ok then, I’ll play along too. I don’t condone war, and i don’t condone punishing people for action that don’t harm other (victimless crimes). But I pay taxes and what is my tax money used for? Some of those very things I don’t condone. Do you pay taxes? I suspect the ansewer is yes. Then you, just like me, do condone these things because our tax money is paying for it.

As the Bible says “Give unto Ceasar what is due to ceasar.” You use Ceasar’s roads, you depend on Ceasar for fire protection and you pay Ceasar taxes, aw but you don’t condone the things that Ceasar does with your tax money. Then why support ceasar? If your position is true, than paying taxes makes you a hypocrite.

You are hardly above it all if you give it financial support. You are part of the killing and war because you, Sprite, you – fund it.

unacharmed

I agree with Sprite. We are the invaders and we went to Iraq and Afghanistan to control and kill the enemy. The U.S. government tells the soldiers who their enemies are – who to point their guns at. I’m not proud of this and I don’t consider them heroes. Stupid and brainwashed to do the bidding of their government. Some just would rather risk their lives for the benefits. How many “heros” were given a choice of going to jail or enlisting in the military?

sprite

[quote=”johnr”

More people need to at least appreciate the fact that the soldiers, who do a thankless job, provide at least some of the luxury of freedom that most people take for granted.

I will agree with you that I perhaps harsh in stating that you should “get a life” however I also think that sometimes a harsh comment can also make one pause and reflect on ones own inner beliefs.

:[/quote]

First off; What “luxury of freedom” are you talking about?
    Be careful not to swallow all the propaganda they are throwing at us. We are not free. We don’t have the freedom to make any important decisions about our lives. We are given false choices between pre-selected candidates and we are given insignificant choices between brands of cereal to buy or football teams to support. But the important stuff is not up to you or me. Did you vote of the 9 year war in Afghanistan?
    Secondly, the comment of “Get a life” is just not applicable to this thread. It was a strange one to make considering the theme of this thread and my comments. It would be better applied to anyone who is NOT interested in such world wide matters.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.