Gringo In Prison

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Gringo In Prison

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    johnr

Several of my daughters friends are in the military and in Afghanastan right now. I will let them know that an expat living in Costa Rica is sad because they are brain washed and baby killers and that their volunteering to serve the country is not deeply appreciated.

Propaganda – it’s out there but it’s not nearly as entertaining as the drivel you put out there. Thanks for the laughs and do us all a favor – don’t come back to visit. You’re not wanted.

sprite

Not only is their effort not appreciated, it is pro-actively opposed by many people who are aware of what is really going on. My nephew did a stint in Iraq in the army and his mother, my sister, was also against him going. Young people are particularly susceptible to influences and routinely make bad decisions. Why do you think the military preys on 19 year olds for recruits? And, incidentally, why do you think the cowards in Washington never send their own children off to war to die?

I don’t wish ill on anyone, not on your family members and not on the afghans who are currently exposed to their weapons.If you think all the women, children and other innocents killed over there are acceptable casualties, then your morals are reprehensible. This needs to be pointed out to you and especially to those carrying out the destruction on behalf of the evil that directs their actions.. We don’t have time for your patriotic BS any more. This has to stop and the only way that will ever happen is if we confront the ignorance and misplaced loyalties.

johnr

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”Jim S.

You apparently find it easier to pass judgement on them than I do. I don’t live in a gated community and never have but I do have dogs (and guns) and we never leave our house unoccupied – not even for a brief trip to the supermarket.[/quote]

And I agree with you. I am well aware of the petit crime in Costa Rica and I intend to set myself up exactly as you have done. I made it clear that I was not addressing the crime aspect, rather the social consequences and the attitude involved in making the decision to live in a gated community.

I have never been a gun advocate in the past for living in the States. Owning a gun in the US is like smoking a cigarette in a room filled with fireworks. But I see a reasonable application for gun ownership in a place like Costa Rica where there is only an anemic police presence.[/quote]

Oh the irony. Well at least the Tico’s walking off with your TV know you will never pull the trigger.:lol:

Versatile

After reading a lot of these threads it is very easy for me to come to the conclusion that there are many expats that are “OUT THERE”!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Versatile”]After reading a lot of these threads it is very easy for me to come to the conclusion that there are many expats that are “OUT THERE”![/quote]

You are definately correct that some of the authors on this forum are “OUT THERE” – but remember, not all of them (thankfully) are expats, at least not in the true sense of the word. Although they may not have relocated physically, it is apparent that some may have become “expatriates to reality”.

sprite

[quote] Oh the irony. Well at least the Tico’s walking off with your TV know you will never pull the trigger.:lol:[/quote]

They don’t know that. And you would have to be crazy to kill somebody over a TV.

markus
    Participant

Terrence. You should write a book about these series and sell it. I am sure it will sell well in the USA and CR. Best of luck!

2bncr

Sprite,

No rebuttle to my previous post. Silence is the voice of complicity.

Just as I thought…

sprite

[quote=”2bncr”]Sprite,

No rebuttle to my previous post. Silence is the voice of complicity.

Just as I thought…[/quote]

I don’t choose to pay U.S. taxes. Taxes are confiscated from me. Now, I have NO problem paying Costa Rican taxes. In fact, perhaps we should all pay a little more.

daboss06

OK, now that we have our opinions expressed on totally off-topic subjects, how about getting back to the original thread?

I think we all can consider ourselves enlightened on the power of arcane and unfair laws combined with dishonest, shrewish golddigger Ticas who run their scams on Ticos and Gringos alike, when marriage is involved.

I ask again, is there “palimony” in Costa Rica? Or, if you own property in CR, invite a willing Tica home for the night (or more than one night), can she fake domestic violence, have you arrested, and make your life a living hell?

Or, are the government-issued hooker IDs designed to keep this from happening? You know, the ones used to register your “date” at the front desk of your hotel when you come back for a little hotel room fun?

Any Tico attorneys interested in commenting here please?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The domestic violence laws in Costa Rica are disproportionately favorable toward women. It appears that virtually any allegation of abuse of any sort can result in the man being denied access to his own property. If the online reports are at all accurate, the process is (1)allege, (2)bar access, (3)consider the actual facts some time later (maybe). And the burden of proof is met if the woman merely alleges in a complaint that some abuse has occurred.

What’s more, the “abuse” doesn’t have to be very abusive; even verbal abuse qualifies. So if, for instance, you bring a professional woman home, have an altercation, and call her a “whore”, you may find yourself looking for other accommodations while she lives in your house.

The very most galling part of this scenario is that none of it applies to violence perpetrated against men! Somehow, however, the courts have decided that the “equal justice under the law” provisions of the Constitution don’t always apply, especially if you have external genitalia.

So gentlemen, beware. Talk nice to your wives and women friends or you could find yourself in a heap of . . . (you know what goes here).

I should add, by the way, that while it is certainly true that generally domestic violence is a “male-against-female” or “male-against-child” phenomenon, that is not universally true. The fact is that some women also inflict physical or emotional abuse on their male partners. The women are not [u]always[/u] the victims.

sprite

I would also like to hear a Tico attorney chime in on this question. I wonder what the cultural attitude is regarding North American men and Ticas.

I find it difficult to feel empathy for gringos who come to Costa Rica for sexual tourism. That whole concept strikes me as cheap and temporal and ultimately unsatisfying. But again, to each his own.

I do, however, sympathize with naive or emotionally immature gringos who come down and coincidentally develop a relationship with a Tica whose ulterior motives would be obvious to more experienced, cautious, and emotionally mature men. And by cautious, I refer the prudent practice of learning the language and culture thoroughly before diving in head first by taking on a Tica wife.

daboss06

Thanks, both Sprite and DavidC for your posts. I’ve never gone to Costa Rica for sexual tourism (twice to inspect my property purchased from Paragon and twice more with family and friends), but in light of this particular forum thread I am certainly abandoning any thoughts of relocating there, especially as a single man.

Come on, Costa Rican attorneys–your opinions please?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

daboss06, if you’ve come to Costa Rica ” . . to inspect your property purchased from Paragon . .”, then I would opine that you, too, have been the victim of a certain type of sexual assault. Sadly, you seem to enjoy little protection from the law.

Let me tell you, too, that we know an American man who has been serially married here in Costa Rica. Because he insists on a pre-nuptial agreement, it appears that he has suffered no loss for his pattern of relationships. Perhaps there was a “payoff” clause that compensated the wife of the year, but I don’t know that.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”daboss06″]Thanks, both Sprite and DavidC for your posts. I’ve never gone to Costa Rica for sexual tourism (twice to inspect my property purchased from Paragon and twice more with family and friends), but in light of this particular forum thread I am certainly abandoning any thoughts of relocating there, especially as a single man.

Come on, Costa Rican attorneys–your opinions please?[/quote]

1. From time to time we have attorneys comment in this forum but not too often, they typically insist on being paid to give legal advice.

2. Some people were smart enough to visit the land in Costa Rica before agreeing to buy it from Paragon Properties of Costa Rica but thousands of people were foolish enough to send Paragon millions of dollars without ever setting foot on it… Those people probably shouldn’t leave their homes without a responsible adult accompanying them never mind flying to far off lands where they don’t speak the local language to try to find the woman of their dreams…

IMHO “abandoning” your ideas about relocating to Costa Rica as “a single man” based on a Discussion Forum thread about predatory women is not the smartest thing to do… Come live here for six months – rent an apartment – and see what happens! Hundreds of North Americans of all ages have discovered satisfying new lives with new wives in Costa Rica – and they didn’t find them in a whore house…

These men don’t typically write emotional articles about the experience, they live contented and satisfied lives at home with their families…

3. My first year living in New York City showed me how “predatory” women can be when practically every single woman I met wanted to know three things:

A. Was I at least a Vice President? (Which gave them a clear indication of my income)…
    B. Did I own my own apartment? (Which gave them a clear indication of my buying power) and …
    C. What car did I drive?

And yes! In the end, the beautiful, very talented mother of my two wonderful children – a New York woman – and I did get divorced… She kept the homes, the cars and the children!

4. On the other hand, my experience with women in Costa Rica has been overwhelmingly divine! But of course I didn’t come here and fall in love with a prostitute as so many people have done… (I am not referring to Terrence’s story).

If I was not involved in a long term relationship (over 7 years now) and was looking for a special new woman, I couldn’t think of anywhere better to be single.

Scott Oliver- Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.