Higher crime or plain stupid?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Higher crime or plain stupid?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

Soflodoug… which end of the gun are you planning on being on?

soflodoug

If you live in a very dangerous place like costa rica with all of the home invasions and car jackings and robberies at gun point you may want to be concerned about that.
    Myself as a victim and after seeig the lack of concern of the authorities there made the smart choice by getting out. Your question to me is ill in nature. This forum is getting international attention I promise you.
    Hope this helps.

Andrew
    Keymaster

soflodoug – You are becoming truly bloody tedious! We all know this forum gets “international attention” – it is on the internet after all but most of your claims so far have been without any substance whatsoever.

You claim that Panama is safer when we have shown fairly conclusive proof from a Panamanian source that it is not!

However, I am happy to be proven wrong so PLEASE show us PROOF to back up you claims and why don’t you stop whining and moaning like a spoiled little girl and tell us exactly what happened to you…

And while you’re at it – How is your Spanish?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alfred

There is no paradise! And if you think Europe is any better…think again.

One gentleman who worked for us, retired about 7 years ago and moved to Italy. He lives in a new home he built in Bari, with his wife. Last week he called and told us they had a family function to attend. We said great, look forward to seeing you then. He said, “no, I won’t be coming, just my wife will.” The reason was, he had to stay behind to mind his house. If he left it unoccupied for a week or more, it would be cleaned out by robbers.

I was relaying the story to my barber yesterday, who was born in Italy, He told me his wife’s cousin couldn’t attend a family function for the same reason. He said, “they live in Northern Italy, where you think it would be safer.”

The world has changed. Find paradise where you can, and enjoy it.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Scott (and others) there’s a simple solution if you find soflodoug’s rantings tedious. Stop reading them. And certainly stop responding to them. I have. He’s on a very short list of wlcr.com “contributors” whose stuff isn’t worth the cost of the connect time. If you just stop fanning his little flame, it’ll go out on its own.

soflodoug

Final statement. My conscience is larger than all of yours put together and your snyde comments are not what matters here, Im glad you werent my parents wooosh!,helping people does and the sooner the better because if I hear one more victim story about costa rica I think I am going to puke.
    It is a privilidge for a country like costa rica to have affluent people and sucessful and law obiding people who want no more than basic safety,no more than anywhere else and respect for ourselves and to enjoy in peace what the place has to offer. Well they cant handle that and in panama after talking to several police and seeing them in action send over a couple of your lovely ticos maybe they will find correction here.
    Have a nice day. end.

Here’s a perfect example of what dixon was originally talking about. I do believe that those banditos that stole the laptops from people in the Bagelmen’s did so at NIGHT! Every time I’ve been in that Bagelman’s at night it was practically dead. So would I bring my laptop into any biz that didn’t have much traffic at night – NOT!!! That’s just logical to me!!!

Just like I wouldn’t walk out of a bank showing my cash without potentionally creating a situation where someone may be tempted. Or as much as I trust my housekeeper, I STILL wouldn’t leave jewelry or money out as we don’t know where a person is at that moment, how desperate they may be so why tempt them! I would act the same whether I was in the States, CR or Italia!! To me it’s called consciousness and consideration.

ecotonecons comment about rubbing our money – also right on! Sadly that’s just human condition in most parts of the world – especially when people see the gringos flashing all their material things and then paying them $2/hour, working them like a dog and often not treating them well.

My jewelry is all safely locked up in a safety deposit box at the bank since I would SOOOOOOO rarely wear it here (don’t want to tempt anyone).

If I’m remembering 1/2 well (I have my good & bad days with that!), aren’t MANY of the cops in Panama military? Going back to the concept of consequences and how we create our own reality, when cops are making under $400/month, sadly again, how are they supposed to stay honest?

I SOOOOO am not trying to justify anyone stealing but I also own that I DO create my own reality so I hope that by treating people well, paying them 1/2 decent (with perks), taking precautions, staying aware, etc. I won’t be creating situations in my life like soflodoug experienced (I’m not saying it can’t happen because I believe to my core that if I’m not “grounded” – stuff happens!!).

Our fears/issues follow us where ever we go (or have been) so I hope for soflodoug’s sake, he can release the “victim” mentality/intense anger before he creates it again.

ecotonecons

Sorry cindyc I did not keep his name, but it was one of the main companies that come up when googling such services in CR. I arranged the taxi from home prior to leaving. We use the same company each time we come back.

lceide

Dixon,

I have been away so I have just read this thread. In answer to your question, yes, people do have their passports stolen. Highly educated, successful, extremely well-traveled people get passports stolen. I have traveled all over the worl for work and for pleasure. I even haved lived in CR for 3 years and just booked my 7th & 8th trip (in the last 4 years) to CR so I am no stranger to the country. Last May we stopped for gas in Cartago before heading though the mountains towards Dominical. About 10 minutes later in the middle of the mountains we had a flat tire. Upon inspection, we noticed that the sidewall was slit (we had not “run over” anything). Whithin 3 minutes we had a truck of guys in addition to 3 guys on foot ascend upon us. Long story short, they ended up with my backpack with contained (among other things) our 4 passports. I’m guessing the gas station was in on it and we were followed. Some times bad (unavoidable) things just happen to good people. Smart people. Even when they are cautious.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Interesting article about Panama in Business Week magazine:

“According to one report 35 towers of over 20 floors are in construction. Besides the danger of overbuilding, there are stress signs of too-rapid growth: brownouts from an overtaxed electricity grid, a Third World sewage system under the First World high-rises. Filth is still pumped into the bay. The government says it is working on sewerage improvements.”

[ http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0505/096.html ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sjm1580

Scott,

I am sure you are a very intelligent man, so you can certainly see the over-development of the Jaco area also, can’t you?

With the growing crime in this area, real estate in the Jaco area will certainly be headed in the other direction soon, don’t you think? Brownouts are not a problem in Costa Rica? Scott, I would love the hear your thoughts…

Thanks for your insights.

Andrew
    Keymaster

What does “over-development” mean? In comparison to what?

Growing towns have growing crime rates but at least Jaco is making a serious effort to add more police. And for my comments about ‘Hookers in Jaco’ you might want to see [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/1798.cfm ]

If you are comparing virgin rain forest with Jaco – Sure! Jaco is overdeveloped… If you are comparing Jaco with the popular beach towns in Mexico or practically anywhere along the Florida coast – Jaco has a LONG way to go before you could call it over developed.

I wrote a long article about ‘Costa Rica Water & Electricity Problems. April 2007’ which you can read at: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/1438.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sjm1580

Scott,

I think you know exactly what I mean when I say over-development, and crime in Jaco has been a rising problem for some time. Not just “Hookers in Jaco”. And not I am not comparing it to rain forests either. I don’t believe it is a good idea for you to compare other areas to Costa Rica, because you might not like the comparisons in some cases (like the Jaco area).

I understand you must continue to promote development in areas like Jaco to protect your realtors, but I also believe you need to be cautious at the same time.

But Scott please remember these are just my thoughts…

Andrew
    Keymaster

You are certainly entitled to your feelings and thoughts sjm1580 but I do NOT know exactly what you mean by “over-development.”

I do help experienced developers to promote their real estate and also help promote professional Realtors but as the ‘Hookers In Jaco’ article would suggest, I am not blind to the negative aspects of development that occurs anywhere in the world and not just in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sjm1580

Scott,

How many single family residential units, multi-family units and multi story residential units do you suppose are under construction or in the permitting stage for the area between Los Suenos and Esterillos. It’s staggering to see the promotional material available for projects in this region. When you can’t leave your car unattended at anytime even in the Los Suenos area, I believe (my personal opinion) that area is in for a big financial shake-up. Very similar to the Florida you often speak about.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.