House Renting Nightmare

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum House Renting Nightmare

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    itsbutch

For some reason I am getting it left and right when I try to do something honestly. First “so called friends got into my wallet” and now a problem with a house rental

I rented a house in Alajuela…….The owner gave me a set of keys, in exchange for $250 charge (I have receipt)…she gave me permission to move things into the house during the month of February, which I have been doing. Seeing as the house has been empty for 2 years (new construction) it was very dirty and I hired people to clean the windows, do miscellaneous repairs to the electrica, phone, plumbing, had all the tile floors sealed, cleaned etc. I now have over 3/4 of my furniture in this house, and all the kitchen stuff. I got a call this a.m. that she has sold the house and that the rental agreement that we were to sign on the 25th is no longer valid. She has $500 deposit, $250 key deposit, the house is in move in condition now with all the cleaning and repairs I did, which she was to reimburse me for. I am out over $2500 to her and I am bound by contract to move out of my current home (rental) on or before March 3rd.
    I am completely at a loss as to what can now be done…..in 2 weeks or less, I’ll be homeless I guess.
    I am using the forum as an alert to renters…….apparently we “renters” have no rights. Renting a house on a long term lease doesn’t mean the house can’t be sold out from under us, with no notice. Icontacted a lawyer this a.m. and she said – the process to collect will be about $1200………

I have receipts from the owner for the moneys, but she tells me that she is not, by law, bound to repay me because she allowed me to move my stuff into the house and I had the keys for a month……etc. When I made the verbal agreement and exchange of money she was very timid and shy – now she’s very agressive and speaks wonderful English!
    What to do – any suggestions other than “shoot myself”

Andrew
    Keymaster

1. Sadly verbal agreements mean nothing anywhere.
    2. You really should have seen an attorney BEFORE signing that agreement and I am not sure if there’s anything that you can do now.
    3. Renters absolutely do have rights (sometimes it’s VERY difficult to remove a renter from a property) and it would be worth checking with an attorney of yours to see what options you have…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

*Lotus

Butch you have had some real bad luck since you started this move to C.R.. I think the lesson here is you need to seek out qualified profesionals to assist you from a to z. Don’t just read this site, use the pros Scott can put you in touch with.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Too, don’t enter into any financial relationship here that you wouldn’t enter into in the U.S. I wouldn’t put $2,500 into somebody else’s house without a contractual understanding of how it was to be offset. And I wouldn’t give somebody else a key to my house.

It’s tempting to place trust in every smiling face, but here, as everywhere else, you have to protect your own interests.

GringoTico

Butch,

When in Rome…

Let them try to throw you out. As Scott said, it’ll take months, and Costa Rica has no credit reporting system, so your record will not be marred as a result.

This is why I will never get (back) into the real estate rental business in CR. The eviction process is brutal on the landlord.

Normally I would not give such advice, but they ripped you off first. Asking your attorney how to sue them for damages is the wrong question. Ask what the owner has to go through to evict you, and I think you’ll see that you are in the driver’s seat, especially if the owner promised that the house would be vacant upon closing.
    That kind of line in the sand will give you tremendous negotiating power, and if it endangers the sales transaction, they’ll likely pay you off to get you out quickly.

If possession in 9/10’s of the law in the US, it must be 11/10’s in CR. Change the locks ASAP, and hang on to all your receipts!

itsbutch

Yup, bad luck is right – but I have to blame myself first…..I’m just too trusting. I thought I had a qualified lawyer to do the residency (wrong) – I thought I had a qualified real estate rep, which I did and still do, he’s offered to bare the losses, but I won’t let that happen, it’s not his fault. The lady that is at the head of the table in this rental mess is who I should have watched a little closer, I shouldn’t have been so willing to fill her plate with the money………and the friend that got into my wallet – again my fault…………..I am learning a hard lesson! I have other wonderful tico friends…..I can’t put everyone into the same pot here. I was riped off in the US too…….but got tough-skined and I’ll have to harvest a tougher skin here in C.R. ALL SAID, I STILL LOVE THIS COUNTRY, 99.9% OF THE PEOPLE AND ‘THIS FORUM’……Thanks for you thoughts!

itsbutch

Gringo Tico!

I know what you’re saying, and others have said basically the same thing………BUT………..I’m 62, and I don’t want to live the rest of my life wondering who’s at the door, who’s on the phone etc. I camE to C.R. to retire and enjoy! I have enjoyed myself, with the exceptions of a couple “touches”, already discussed…

If I were younger, I would do exactly as you stated………..this lady deserves a kick in the rear and staying in her house, causing HER some grief is probably what she needs.

Our friends are looking in Grecia for us……so that’ll be where I’ll end up…..I really lik Atenas, but dang, each family must have 10 dogs…..in my area “Villatenas” there are 10 houses and when all the 34 dogs bark it’s like living in a kennel……….

Thanks TicoGingo, if I was about 20 years younger, this “..T..” would have a fight on her hands…..I’d be doing exactly what you and others suggested……….

PS ANYONE KNOW OF A NICE 3/2 HOUSE IN GRECIA FOR RENT – QUITE AREA OUT OF TOWN……..

Butch

itsbutch

DAVID……….YOU’RE SO RIGHT – I TRUSTED HER – AND OH WHAT A SMILE SHE HAD!

rdelgado

Butch,
    Sorry to hear you got burned.. It could have been me. I’m not always the best judge of character either…

Any hooo… Not sure if they can help but Charles and Jeanetta Owens are very knowlegable with Grecia rentals… They run a B&B and do long term single family home rentals on the side…

her email is laterrazagrecia@msn.com

Hang in there,

Rick Delgado

itsbutch

Rick
    Thanks a million for your email. Nice to know someone cares. I’m trying to be a better judge of character now………This rental thing was my second sucker punch!

I sincerely appreciate your interest in giving me the names of the two in Grecia. BUT….Fortunately, something was on my side and I found a nice 2 acre finca…..nice 5 bedroom 3 bath house. I got it on an option to buy. I have to fall back on the old saying “It just wasn’t meant to be”…….now I found a place much nicer and in Grecia…..I actually couldn’t be happier! I really wasn’t too keen on Alajuela, but it was a great house….big deal huh!!!.
    I’d like to meet you some day Rick – we sound like we are both bad judges of characters lol – we have that in common anyway! lol
    Butch (itsbutch@hotmail.com)

tropicals

Always remember:
    A verbal contract is as good as the paper it wasn’t written on.

rdelgado

Butch,
    Glad to hear it all worked out for the best…

The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 days and you were there to snatch it…

I wish you continued success,

Cheers,
    Rick

ps.
    Grecia is still a small town were boound to run into each other eventually.

Andrew
    Keymaster

What a great saying!

“The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 days and you were there to snatch it…”

Is that yours Rick?

Write us an article about that! P-L-E-A-S-E!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.