Info regarding CR Builders or CR Architects.com

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Info regarding CR Builders or CR Architects.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stevekw

I’m looking for a honest, good and reasonable builder and/or architect for a project in Manuel Antonio. Does anyone know about the CR Builder’s and CR Architects that are linked to this site?
    Or, any other info would be helpful.

perrobravo

Steve, I would definitely NOT recommend using CR Builders (Dave McDuffie). They have NEVER built in CR and outsource the plans to Uruguay and the architect NEVER visits your lot. How is someone going to design plans without actually seeing the lot first? I could go on and on about the bad experience I had but I think this is enough for now. Just be careful. I would suggest whoever you use (I dont know anyone in that area) go look at their work, talk to previous clients (CR Builders didnt have any)and just like when you bought the property, due your research. Hope this helps.

dkt2u

I don’t see anything wrong with out sourcing design plans, as long as you have a qualified builder and are doing your due diligence on all aspects of your lot you are building on. You want to make sure the soil is right, that utilities are accessible, etc. Those are your responsibility, not your architects, although it’s nice if one takes that close of an interest in your project. There are no regulations here that require the architect to visit the site their plans are being used to build on, at least to my knowledge, and many seldom if ever visit a site. That is at least my experience so far. One of the real problems with many businesses here in CR is the real lack of customer service, especially after the sale. Once they have their money, then there is no vested interest in your project, and no reason for them to visit and in some manner help oversee the building process. I think building a long term relationship with clients is still somewhat a foreign concept with many business here in CR. I think Dave has some excellent plans on his site and you can still contract with a local architect to help oversee the process and sign off on the plans. It’s an added expense, but a viable option.

I thinkn Dave has a wealth of information that can help people. What I have liked about Dave and Isabel is that they are willing to share thier own bad experiences and mistakes they have made along the way. Simply living daily life down here is a learning experience. There can be many aspects involving someones bad experience with a person or business. If you had a bad experience then it is understandable to not recommend someone. Personally I would recommend at least talking with Dave and getting some of your questions answered.

cindyc

I’m building just south of there in Portalon and have a wonderful builder, Patrick Heinen, who’s company is Adobe construction, and also works with an Architect. I hear lots of horror stories about people building down there and we have had such an easy time, it’s been great. And, we’ve been out of country while its being done. His email is
    patrick@costaricahousebuilder.com or you can email me at cindy@ccobb.net and I’ll send you pictures.

perrobravo

yes, maybe some architects dont, but the one I’m currently using does and shows up at least once a week to make sure things are being done per plans and specs. Yes, maybe there are no regulations requiring this but building a house isnt something you want someone to do for you that is just “meeting the regulations”. Also, I didnt mention He (the builder) never went to the lot until the plans were complete either. No problem with outsourcing? How about taking the work away from a Tico firm? Anyway, yes there were some mistakes on my part. Mainly not listening to some of the advice found here and trusting someone else just because they had a wealth of information. I agree they are nice people, just not experienced in building in CR.

Edited on Aug 15, 2006 06:54

Edited on Aug 15, 2006 06:55

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Unless a topographical survey, a boundary survey and a soil survey have been performed, I fail to see how any responsible architect can possibly design any building without visiting the site. That’s true in Costa Rica and it’s true in Manhattan. In the Central Valley, the contours of the land are so varied that the only responsible way to design any structure larger than a cow shed is to begin with what the land offers and with what limitations the land imposes. I suppose all that could be discerned from the surveys I mentioned above, but still the architect should see the site before pencil is put to paper.

And, since the architect’s plan is to be constructed on the site once it is graded and otherwise prepared for construction, s/he should inspect it again to be certain that it is ready to receive the building that is planned for it. An excavator, like many of the rest of us, is prone to making mistakes which could have disasterous outcomes if not corrected. The time to head those problems off is before construction commences, and only the architect is qualified to make that judgement.

stevekw

Thanks everyone for the quick responses to my message. I don’t want anyone to outsource. I want to work directly with the architect and builder. I’m a retired builder, but don’t want to try it alone in CR. I noticed the lack of any project photos on the CRBuilders.com website and thought that was a little strange. Most reputable builders and architects are quick to show you projects they’ve built.
    Again, please forward me any info you may have on anyone I can check out.

stevekw

I totally agree. It’s impossible to expect anything but disaster if the builder and architect don’t visit the site from the very beginning. Although my site is relatively easy to build on, there are always obstacles, trees, issues and views to consider. I have done a topographical survey already, so I’m ready to go.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would LOVE to see photographs of the new home that you are building cindyc

Would you also please consider helping us to create an article to help all our VIP Members who plan on buiilding here?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mediatica

If anyone is ever building in Guanacaste, Randall Brenes, is an excellant architect and builder. He is currently putting an addition on and remodeling a ‘tico’ style home that was built a year ago. We have been doing this all long distance (except for when we met at the property a few times) and my cousin is over seeing it for my husband and I. He is an honest, reliable, professional. He sends us weekly updates and photos. He and my cousin both worked on the multi million Four Seasons Papagayo project and Randall was happy to show us several of his new construction projects and amazing remodeling projects. His email is: rabrenes@gmail.com. He also does work in the San Jose area as well. If anyone wants info, feel free to email me for photos of the project he’s doing for me at mediatica26@yahoo.com.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.