Insights about painting in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Insights about painting in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tomasino

Cultural insights pertaining to Latino construction standards that may be helpful.
    1. A common Latino standard is that paint is a concentrate and should be diluted to create more paint. Wrong. The dilutants, “diluyentes” including a product known as “agua res”, which consists of nasty chemicals that turn white paint yellow as well as dilute the quality of the paint, should be avoided.
    2. Another typical standard is that if you will not see a primer product then why purchase the more expensive, higher quality product. Therefore the primer, “sellador” should be the cheapest product available. Wrong. The cheaper paint is manufactured to lower standards, is not as thick and will not adhere as well or last as long.

wspeed1195

don’t forget you only paint what you’ll see.I saw several walls backing up to A neighboring property that had no paint or primer.alot of the block cementing for years was done with beach sand.which will eventually erode.then what about the partially built buildings that have exposed steel re-bar that rusts then months later the project re-starts.once the re-bar starts to erode it will perpetuate even after being encased in concrete.
    I see so many homes that have out-of-country owners that are not aware of so many discrepencies in the process.
    if’n your gonna have A home built you may want to have someone for A fee to give you A weekly report.A good co-ordinator will not only watch the project you can have A better count on the materials.

tomasino

If you look at houses on which the exterior walls appear faded and you can see cracks, more than likely they did not use quality products or knowledgeable tradesmen. Imagine what is involved with removing the old inferior products, re-preping the surfaces and then applying the new coats of paint. I have learned after working in CR for over 15 years to use quality products and do it right the 1st time thereby saving myself and the homeowner the headache of call backs. Most Latino contractors do not understand the concept of guaranteed work and you will more than likely not receive a call back in the event of a problem. You will need to find someone else to fix the problem and pay them accordingly or if you’re really desperate, pay the original contractor to re-do his inferior work again. If you select a contractor with whom you can communicate and someone who understands the manner in which you’re accustomed to living, chances are you won’t be inconvenienced by the inconveniences that happen here in paradise.

wspeed1195

if you select a contractor that you can communicate with you’ve got an american leading. theirs some good Tico contractors. I met A Dutch guy in the airport, he’s got some tico partners and from our conversation it is working well.

tomasino

Dear wspeed1195. You have the freedom to say what you mean without twisting the words of others and the group will respect your opinion. In this forum the idea is to help each other understand more about living in Costa Rica. It’s important for foreigners to understand the realities of living here in order to be happy and healthy. The text submitted reads: “If you select a contractor with whom you can communicate and someone who understands the manner in which you’re accustomed to living, chances are you won’t be inconvenienced by the inconveniences that happen here in paradise”. THE SUGGESTION WAS FOR THE READER TO FIND SOMEONE HE OR SHE CAN COMMUNICATE WITH WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT TYPE OF AMENITIES THEY ARE ACCUSTOMED TO. THAT SOMEONE COULD BE ANY NATIONALITY AND AS LONG AS THERE IS A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE MATERIALS AND INSTALLATION METHODS TO BE USED TO COMPLETE THE PROJECT TO THE BUYERS EXPECTATIONS, THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS WILL BE COMPLETED EFFICIENTLY AND THEREFORE WITH LESS EXPENSIVE TO THE OWNER. That’s a good thing!

wspeed1195

I didn’t twist anything.I’ve seen alot and spoke to way too many folks that “had” someone they could(thought anyways)communicate with.
    people get taken either cause they are arrogant ignorant,or just naive.theirs nothing any web-site can do for these ailments.
    the greatest percentage of the problems that are brought here are ones already in motion.
    and helping others figure out how to live somewhere?
    you got pioneers and fluffsters.
    I got 1 suggestion for anyone wishing to move. spend 3 mos. in A cheap apt.ride A bike,follow anyone with A laptop briefcase to the coffeehouse, sit close, read their window and eavesdrop on their conversation.

tomasino

This website was created by a very generous and hardworking man who strives to provide and share positive information about living in Costa Rica.
    tomasino contributed; : “If you select a contractor with whom you can communicate and someone who understands the manner in which you’re accustomed to living, chances are you won’t be inconvenienced by the inconveniences that happen here in paradise”.
    wspeed1195 contirbuted; “if you select a contractor that you can communicate with you’ve got an american leading”
    Don’t try and confuse the issue with your “cheap apt.ride A bike,follow anyone with A laptop briefcase to the coffeehouse, sit close, read their window and eavesdrop on their conversation”.
    Your opinion is respected as you present it but there is no benefit to you or anyone else if you manipulate positive contributions to this forum that are intended to assist foreigners with their transition into the Costa Rican culture.
    Your coffee shop eavesdropping sounds clandestine. “people get taken either cause they are arrogant ignorant,or just naive.theirs nothing any web-site can do for these ailments”
    You may find the following website more intersting. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/psychological_problems.htm

wspeed1195

tomaters tomatos.
    clandestine to say the least.I’m appalled at the money trail. it comes in through 3 channels and leaves through one.very little is used to improve anything for the locals.I’d say thats as american as cowboys and INDIANS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.