Investment Advisors

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Investment Advisors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kirby

This is for Scott Oliver.

Unless I have missed it you don’t talk much about what you do as an investment advisor but your article about Protecting Your Assets – The ‘Perfect Storm’ article was timed perfectly and your predictions have proven to be very accurate and I like that combination. What sort of investors do you work with? Where can I buy your investment book?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I work with non-US investors only, specializing in “managed money.” Most of my clients are invested in managed, internationally diversified, multi-currency hedged accounts. My clients have access to about 900 different offshore hedge funds although I tend to focus on about 20 out of that 900 ..

NONE of the offshore funds I work with will do business with US citizens and NONE of them will set up an account for an offshore corporation if there are US citizens as signatories. This is unfortunate since the majority of our VIP Members are from America.

My investment book ‘Costa Rica’s Guide To Making Money Offshore In Bull & Bear Markets’ which you can see at is now only made available to my personal, non-US investment clients. All told I have helped my clients invest about US$900 million over the past 20 years

You can also see a Discussion Thread regarding that ‘Perfect Storm’ article at

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

Scott pointed out some POSSIBILITIES as to what COULD happen. However, nothing has actually happened yet. The market has been volatile but it really hasn’t suffered much loss. It is up and down. Today it is up again. At some point the roller coaster ride will be over and the market will continue to chug along as it always does.

Nobody knows for sure why or when the market moves. Everything we read about this is pure speculation…guesses,..and you can find whatever flavor of guess pleases you. There are guesses for bears and guesses for bulls and we sometimes pick the one that caters most to our personalities or wishes. Some people are just born very, very cautious and careful. They tend to worry and have a low tolerance for risk. Others can tolerate high levels of risk.

Anyway, there has been a record amount of money poured into the market in July. This money came from the institutions…the professionals. This happens while the NON professionals, retail investors, are panicking and pulling money out. If the pros are putting money in, then they obviously don;t think there is a market melt down happening.
    In fact, they make money on the panicking retail investors who end up selling too low for fear the sky is falling and that they will lose all their money.

I am sitting tight and calm because I am intent on growing my asets. Protecting assets is not the same as increasing assets. Protecting assets is a different game and played better in a different arena other than the stock market.

Andrew
    Keymaster

“Nothing has happened?” Are you actually reading any financial news that matters?

You say that the “pros are putting money in” and that would be correct if you are referring to the Central Banks, but otherwise it’s pure drivel – there is a HUGE liquidity crisis at the moment.

I get my feedback from professional hedge fund managers who manage billions of dollars and I can assure you that they will abide by the overall investment objectives of their prospective funds because their livelihood depends on it but they are personally petrified at the moment

You might want to read:

‘Central Banks Continue to Add Liquidity as Fed Rate Cut Seen’ at which explains that: “Central banks continued to pump money into distressed markets for the second day…”

“Explaining that it was “providing liquidity to facilitate the orderly functioning of financial markets,” the Fed injected $38 billion Friday on top of Thursday’s $24 billion. The European Central Bank, saying that its “liquidity-providing fine-tuning operation” were aimed assuring orderly market conditions, added $83.56 billion (€61.5 billion) on top of the $130 million it injected to euro-zone markets Thursday. The Bank of Japan put in 1 trillion yen ($8.4 billion). Central banks from Australia, Singapore, Canada Norway and Switzerland also pumped money into their markets; others said they were prepared to do so if necessary.”

“BNP Paribas announced on Thursday that it was suspending three investment funds worth 2bn euros because of problems with the US sub-prime mortgage sector.”

“US lender American Home Mortgage has filed for bankruptcy, after laying off the majority of its staff last week. The demise of one of the country’s largest independent home loan providers is the latest case of a business suffering from the US housing slump.”

August 10th 2007 – “Countrywide Financial Corp. A New York Stock Exchange listed company and the largest lender in the entire country announced that: “NEW YORK, August 10 (newratings.com) – Countrywide Financial Corp (CFC.NYS) Thursday announced that “unprecedented disruptions” in the market may hinder its ability to issue loans.”

Nothing has happened?

And it’s just starting ….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alfred

Every single day this week another lender or two pops up on the list. We are just starting to see the tip of the iceberg. They are pumping money into this thing to avoid a major meltdown. How much they are willing to inject might determine if it stops in a week or two. Banks are going to be sitting with a lot of real estate they didn’t want to be holding. And they are not in the real estate management business, they are in the lending business.
    History has the track record for the market going up over time. Now, not since the great depression, have there been so many homes in jeopardy. How will the market hold up if financial institutions hit the skids? No one knows. This is just one big financial blunder by hedge fund managers looking to provide great returns with high risk. They thought real estate would just keep climbing to the sky.
    A couple of months ago one of our suppliers, AMF (American Machine and Foundry), had one of their divisions close up because the bank saw fit not to extend them any more credit. If the money dries up we could see more companies close their doors.
    The big problem now, and I think Scott might agree, is that this has now become an international mess, and not just restricted to the US.
    The S&L debacle, some years back, should have given the watchers some advance warning.

Roark

Scott, what do you think would happen if the Fed cut the rate by a 1% point?

sprite

read this if you have a minute or two for another take on the current market roller coaster ride.
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/WhyPrivateEquityIsABuyNow.aspx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.