Iowa Boy Needs Advice

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Iowa Boy Needs Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    acmilan40

OK, heres my story… I am a 40 year old, clean-cut, health conscious, male from Iowa… I’ve wanted to move to Costa Rica for about the last 10 years after seeing vacation photos from my aunt and uncles trip… I am single for the first time in my adult life (thanks to my fiancee sleeping with my best friend 2 months before the wedding was supposed to take place) and i have no kids so its either now or never… I don’t smoke or do drugs and only drink alcohol occasionally… Originally i was going to make the leap in late 2008 and had $15,000 saved for the move but had to have a major surgery on my foot/leg last October without health insurance… Ironically that cost me $15,000…

OK, a little about my skills… I am a elite finish carpenter specializing in kitchens and baths and also a skilled landscaper… All my experience was obtained in the Galena Territories in Galena, Illinois… Its a grossly overpriced golf resort 2 hours directly west from Chicago… Oprah and Michael Jordan have or at least used to have houses there which should say something about the quality of my work… I can also build furniture… If you have a picture i can build anything… I’ve also owned and operated rental property for over 10 years so i have property management experience and i’ve helped my aunt with her real estate duties which included setting up appointments and showing properties… Another area of expertise is my ability to fix/build computers and i am currently in my second semester for graphic/web design at NICC… I am also a decent photographer and have professional photography equipment… I have strong customer service/sales skills and being from the midwest, i have very strong values and work ethic…

After that long introduction i will keep this part short with just a few questions… My first question is would i have a problem finding work in my areas of expertise and what would i expect for wages?? Second question is how hard would it be to become a resident of Costa Rica and how would that affect my US status?? My friend said you need to give the Costa Rican Government $60,000 to become a resident… That sounds to ridiculous to be true… Third question is how does a work visa work?? Do you need sponsorship from a employer before you can get a work visa?? Do you need to have that arranged before you come to Costa Rica?? Last question, How can i get a non-gringo rate for rent of apartment or house?? I’ve only looked on Craigslist but these prices seem high from what i’ve read and heard… Well thats about it for now… Thanks in advance to all the nice people who will take the time to respond…

jamesgoshen4

At least you did not having any kids with this woman. I do not think that you can work legally in the country. I think that you should visit the country for an extended time period….2 months and travel the entire country to find what you are looking for. You can travel cheaply via bus or a mtn. bike and stay in cheap cabinas.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

James, you are way, way ahead of yourself. If you are basing your interest in relocating to Costa Rica on ten year-old vacation photos alone, you have no concept of what you might be getting into. No vacationer takes pictures of traffic jams, smog, slums or garbage dumps. Costa Rica, while beautiful, has many drawbacks and shortcomings.

The respondent above is correct. You need to come here for an extended stay and decide if one of Costa Rica’s eleven climatic zones is right for you. You need to find out if there is a community where you could be comfortable. You need to determine if the amenities you will rely upon are available.

Furthermore, legally making a living here will be very difficult. The skills you list are readily available in the local workforce, so getting a work permit will be virtually impossible even if you are able to wade through the bureaucratic morass. And it sounds like you do not have the resources to qualify for residency.

Come see Costa Rica. Travel the country. Consider the implications, and only then give it serious consideration.

Imxploring
    Participant

acmilan40… You need to spend a bunch more time reading the articles and forums on this and other sites. Most of the questions you’ve asked will be answered quite completely by doing so. I’m not sure they’ll be answered the way you want… but at least you’ll have more knowledge in making whatever decision you come to.

As David said… working and making a living here, even with great skills in your field, will not really be possible. Your goal of moving here is a great one… it’s just going to take a bit more time and perhaps a new direction to make it happen!

Best wishes in making your dream a reality!

acmilan40

I understand… I’m a little heartbroken but i understand…I did not know people were so passionate about this subject but totally understand as the US has the same problem so i should have known better… I tend to get tunnel vision when i am excited about something… Unfortunately i can not move without working so it looks like my plans are on hold for now… I am not giving up just a little discouraged and I’m still going to vacation there in April… After the research ive been doing, i cant believe it took this long for me to fall in love with Costa Rica… Maybe my opinion will change once i visit but OMG, your country is so beautiful..

Bandera

Sir Do not be discouraged. It is too bad you did not have the operations in Costa Rica, you would have saved at least 1/2 or more.
    I may have a proposition for you. First of all you should leave before April. That is party week. I own a 200sq. meter 4 bedroom house on Playa Bandera on a 17000 SF Lot. I can offer you a furnished locked room in exchange for your work. I have a 23 Condo unit going in. Can we talk?
    Stan
    President
    BBE

Edited on Feb 24, 2009 14:00

guru

As noted by others, you cannot just move to Costa Rica and go to work in any trade. Besides which the wages in Costa Rica are VERY low compared to even minimum wage in the U.S.

A Hair Brained Scheme: On the other hand, you ARE allowed to manage your own business affairs in Costa Rica. If you were to import a couple containers loaded with new or used wood working machinery and setup a business in Costa Rica where you hired Ticos to do the work you can profit from the business you manage (but do not legally work in). The country is loaded with beautiful exotic hardwoods and there is a significant wood working industry (and machinery shortages). There are many skilled and unskilled workers (you could teach). It sounds like you have many of the skills necessary to operate and promote such a business.

One note. While the woods in CR are fantastic, they are often unstable due to the high humidity (and lack of central air/heat). If they stay in CR they hold up well but when exported the shrinkage problems can be tremulous. SO, you may want to stay in the local market. Small Items we have brought home have held up (crafty carved items), but I’ve seen problems with heavier pieces.

You might look into other business possibilities. So long as Costa Ricans do the bulk of the work you should be OK. Normally you setup a corporation, the workers work for the corporation and you may profit from it and manage it. Please check with a local (CR) lawyer on any scheme of this nature.

jaysmith614

email me off board:

jaysmith614@gmail.com

acmilan40

Thanks for all the help everyone… What do you mean by that jaysmith@gmail.com???

Bandera

He wants you to email him at the email address provided.
    Stan

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Stan, are you keeping secrets??? Have you found an expedited means of getting this Iowa Boy his work permit?

Imxploring
    Participant

Can you say “Indentured Servant”…. LOL

grb1063

Go several times at different times of year (including the rainy season) and see as much of the country as you physically can. Then spend more time in your favorite locations and some time in the central valley, because if you need special medical attention or a big screen TV, it is the most likely place where you would go regardless of where you lived. We have been 1-2 times per year since 2004 and have at least settled on where we would want to reside for our own selfish reasons. It is a fantastic country, but if you are John Doe from the midwest you are the minority of archytypes who would adore the Tico lifestyle, respect the land & people and contribute wholeheartedly to the betterment of Costa Rica. This is why you always revisit your favorite places if it is the ideal fit.
    You can’t legally work in CR, but you can form a company and hire Costa Ricans as your labor force as long as you operate in a “managerial” capacity.

conniejog

Been to CR 3 times. I want to live there too. Can get 2nd citizenship. You MUST go for vacation there before deciding anything. Plenty of people from USA already there to get your foot in door. I even advised my brother to take his Medical business there.
    Many USA citizens work there for developers who are mostly USA.
    Don’t know for sure if world/USA economy is putting too many developers out of work there.
    Pacific side “Gold Coast” and hot with the above mentioned building.
    If I had the $ I would hire you and we both would be happy!
    Gal from Iowa.

acmilan40

What part of Iowa you from Connie?? Send me a email at gpjurisic@yahoo.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.