Leaving a car in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Leaving a car in Costa Rica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sammysdream

We are driving to Costa Rica in 2008 is it true that if we leave Costa Rica every 90 days for 72 hours you do not have to pay import taxes on your car

Andrew
    Keymaster

Don’t know where you’re driving from but you might want to search for people’s comments on that first… If you’re young, in great health, have a great car and speak fluent Spanish it might be a good idea to drive down here from North America. If you’re not, most people – myself included – would probably suggest that you rethink your travel plans.

Might be true right now but Murphy’s Law states that when you try they’ll change the law and they’re talking about making lots of changes…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLOveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

When you enter Costa Rica, you can, in fact, get a ninety-day exemption from the auto import duty and the requirement to “nationalize” the car. And there is provision for one (I think) extension. After that, you have to play by the rules.

Fire when ready, Diego.

mediatica

I was able to renew my car one time (90 days two times). After that you have to pay the taxes and register the car OR leave the country with the car (note if you come back you must pay the import taxes) OR leave the car in a bonded warehouse until you pay the taxes.
    Buena suerte. Becky

ssure

I heard some people take the two 90 day periods and then sell the car in Panama where the import taxes are much less and the prices are good. I don’t know if that’s true or not.

I have an 04 Dodge pick up with less than 10,000 k on it. I only use it to tow my travel trailer a couple of trips a year. I was going to ship it down and give it to my daughter and son-in-law but I found out it was pretty much worthless in Costa Rica because it has a big motor, automatic and runs on gas. The shipping company guy told me that, so there are some good honest Costa Rican business people out there who are looking out for their customers. Scott, can I mention the company name here?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.