Lessons Learned in Property Management

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Lessons Learned in Property Management

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jrondares

Hi everyone. I’m getting ready to close on a condo in Playa del Cocos (Sunset Hills). It’s been a long 4 years, and the last year was spent waiting on the folio real number. I was wondering if I could get some pointers regarding the “closing” process as well as any lessons learned in selecting a property management company. I’m going to rent this condo out for a while until I can move down there permanently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Closing Rule #1 …

You do have YOUR OWN ATTORNEY, helping you and protecting you and you are NOT using the developer’s attorney, right?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jrondares

Yes, I have my own attorney and I’m not using the attorney associated with the developers. Any other rules? I’d appreciate any advise, so I don’t get into any “trouble”. Also, if you have any advice on dealing with property management company’s I would be appreciative…

Andrew
    Keymaster

The property management “profession” – if you can call it that in Costa Rica – is probably less regulated and structured than the Realtor “profession” so you obviously have to be careful with whom you do business…

I do not know many “property management” people in that area but I do trust Becky Clower who manages a number of beautiful properties there so you might want to contact Becky Clower about property management in your area, see her details at: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1405.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

BIGWOOD

I have had a condo in Playa Del Coca for 5yrs. and I just found a good Mgmt. comp. The woman that does my is Cassie in Mapache. I will tell you from experience there are a lot of people down there that promise you the world and do nothing. I am in Calif. where are you moving from.

jrondares

Hey BIGWOOD, where in CA are you located? I’m in the SF Bay area. Can you tell me more about Cassie? How much does she charge, have you had luck in keeping your place rented? etc…

BIGWOOD

We live in So Cal and yes she has been doing a great job we are very pleased. There are a couple of others you need to stay away from, if you are intrested I will give you Cassie’s email just let me know.

gonzalojr

Closing in Costa Rican are more formal than in USA or Canada, you would need to be present at closing or you would have to grant a POA to your attorney to represent you on the signature of the transfer deed. The transfer deed is printed in the Book Deeds or Protocol of the Public Notary (in many cases the same attorney). Make sure you are properly represented (once again do not us the same attorney from the developer) make sure your attorney confronts the title number with the survey number to make sure your unit is the same matching the title number. It has happened in other cases or other projects that the unit you purchase does not match with the title number and you end up buying your neighbors condo on paper. Make sure you get copies of all closing documents from your attorney. It is very important that you request a certification from the Municipality as to property taxes are paid up to date. If you have the opportunity to request copies of all building permits and enviormental permits from the Project this would also be of your benefit, unfortunatly there has been recent project that have not complied with such and could be shoot down by governmental authorities.
    I personally have a condo in Coco and I have as property manager called Juan Carlos Peralta, he has done a great job for us.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.