Living and moving around Grecia after 2 hip replacements

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living and moving around Grecia after 2 hip replacements

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ddspell12

I have an oppurturnity to live about six miles from Grecia. i understand it is in the higer elevations.

I have two hip replacments and am concercerned about getting down to grecia for shopping and entertainment. Is their bus servive or taxi service available.

Is it a steep walk to catch them. Also is their a gym in Grecia was working out and rehab? Thank you very much!!

Also can you catch buses to the pacific coast at a reasonable price?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We live at a higher elevation outside Grecia, too. Yes, there is regular bus service into town on all the main (paved) roads, and you can always call a cab.

Whether or not the walk to the bus stop is steep depends on where you’re located. Generally, the main roads that radiate outward from Grecia toward Poas are uphill and steep. Grecia is at about 3,500 feet and Poas at about 8,500 feet, so the roads that radiate outward toward Poas are all uphill. That’s the direction you seem to be describing. The side roads ([i]servidumbres[/i]) may or may not be steep. Without knowing more about where you’ll be, it’s impossible to say.

There is a gym located in Fabrica, the entertainment complex outside town, and probably one or more others. It will have exercise equipment but I’m not sure if it would meet your needs for “rehab”.

Grecia has a central bus station which serves the local companies, has regular service to nearby towns, and offers transportation into San Jose. From there, you can find busses to destinations all over the country as well as Panama and Nicaragua.

ddspell12

Thank You David. Are the Taxi fares reasonable for the six mile trip to Grecia and return.

saratoga

The entire La Fabrica complex is out of business due to
    the recent earthquake!

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]
    There is a gym located in Fabrica, the entertainment complex outside town, and probably one or more others. It will have exercise equipment but I’m not sure if it would meet your needs for “rehab”.[/quote]

David – like you, at least I know where in my town where the gym is located! They also have a feria each Friday, and in addition to the super veggies, there is a lady that sells super bagels and english muffins, that’s when I go to the gym!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

saratoga, thanks for the update about Fabrica. Do you know if the Banco Nacional branch office there is operating or not? We have to go give them more information about ourselves and we avoid the downtown Grecia branch at all costs. (You have to bring a lunch.)

CRBill, are you shopping at the feria [u]in Grecia[/u]? Please send me a PM, if yes.

davidd, in addition to the non-operational gym at Fabrica, there are at least two other locations that offer spinning classes. I don’t know what else is available.

There are also physical therapists with private practices in Grecia. I could point you to two who have taken good care of me.

We’re actually about 7.5km from the central park in downtown Grecia. The last time I took a cab home, the fare was about c3,000 ($6+/-) but that was probably four years ago. I’d expect the cost to be more like c4,000 today, but don’t hold me to it.

Seems like the busfare into Grecia is around c300.

saratoga

Update:

Was at the gym today (it re-opened last Thursday) and have fresh info. The only two buildings to be left standing are the gym and the bank. The gym is still without glass, restrooms, and showers. The old location of these will be torn down, and they will be relocated to the left of the entrance way. Work should be finished on the rest. & showers in a couple weeks, along with the glass.

The bank is going to take considerable work and repairs, but should re-open in a few weeks. Crews are working on the demolition now and that is expected to take about 3 months.
    Don’t think they will reconstruct the drive-thru tellers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.