Living in Costa Rica and mantain US Passport

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living in Costa Rica and mantain US Passport

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rfalves

I plan to retire to Costa Rica next Year. If I become a residient there, can I still keep my USA Citizebship?
    Ron USCG Ret

harvcarp

Of course; and be advised that residency takes a minimum of 1.5 years at this time!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Don’t confuse “residency” and “citizenship”. They are horses of very different colors.

“Residents” essentially have the right to be in a country, to take advantage of its basic benefits, and to obey and be protected by its constitution and laws. Residents (and tourists) are subject to deportation for their misdeeds.

“Citizens”, on the other hand, have all those rights plus the rights to vote, run for office, carry that country’s passport, etc. Citizens typically cannot be deported.

One can remain a citizen of the U.S., carry a U.S. passport, benefit from U.S. consular services, vote in U.S. national elections, enroll in Medicare, collect U.S. Social Security, pay the required U.S. income taxes, be subject to U.S. laws, etc, etc all while living full-time as a legal resident of another country like (say) Costa Rica.

rfalves

Thank you David, If I give up my US passport then I know I lose my Military Pension, and I believe that it will also effect my Social Security. And with a USA Passport it is usually easier to travel to many other places. Ron USCG Ret

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ron, I’m not sure you can just give up your U.S. passport(although I suppose you could just throw it away, or(better still) sell it to some criminal). And unless you become a citizen (not a resident) of another country, why would even consider doing so? You wouldn’t qualify for another country’s passport.

Remember, too, that any income derived from a U.S. source, such as your pension and mine and Social Security, is subject to U.S. income taxes regardless of where you live.

Even if you do become a citizen of another country, I think I know that you’re still entitled to your U.S. government pensions. For one thing, you earned them under the provisions of the law. And there are many non-U.S. citizens who have served in the U.S. military or worked in the U.S. and contributed to Social Security and who are receiving their benefits while living outside the U.S.

rfalves

Thanks David, I was NEVER thinkingg of giving up my Citenzenship nor my passport. My sister gave up her USA Citizenship about 40 years ago when she went to UK for college and never came home, she had to denounce America to become a citizen of the UK. But with things expecting too go to crap in the next few years. I want to get out of this USA. I have been to CR twice before and am coming back Christmas day for another 2 1/2 weeks. I will spend about 1 week in San Jose then go to Sierpe and look at possible places to rent next August or September. I had planned to wait a couple more years but I just getting so tired of working in the Healthcare field and it will be getting worst. I will sell my RV and Big Freightliner RV toter then seel just about everything else load up a pick up and a small trailer for my Quad and mining equipment. Have a great week. Ron USCG Ret

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.