Money Laundering in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Money Laundering in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    davidinBali

I have to ask why any serious writer would write an opinion in which they go on and on and on, and in a lather, about accusations of money laundering leveled at CR by none other the CIA World Fact Book; read the following
    [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/504.cfm]Your text to link here…[/url]
    I simply used up a couple minutes and checked The World Factbook and it does in fact say absolutely nothing, zero, nada about money laundering in Costa Rica!

waggoner41

[quote=”davidinBali”]I have to ask why any serious writer would write an opinion in which they go on and on and on, and in a lather, about accusations of money laundering leveled at CR by none other the CIA World Fact Book; read the following
    [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/504.cfm]Your text to link here…[/url]
    I simply used up a couple minutes and checked The World Factbook and it does in fact say absolutely nothing, zero, nada about money laundering in Costa Rica![/quote]

There are a few versions of the CIA World Fact Book on the internet dating back to at least 2002. The most current I could find was updated in 2009 at [url=http://www.coldwellbankerbeachproperties.com/about_costa_rica/basic_facts/from_the_us_cia_world_factbook]CIA World Fact Book 2009[/url]

The very last entry is this:
    Illicit drugs:
    transshipment country for cocaine and heroin from South America; illicit production of cannabis in remote areas; domestic cocaine consumption, particularly crack cocaine, is rising; significant consumption of amphetamines; [b]seizures of smuggled cash in Costa Rica and at the main border crossing to enter Costa Rica from Nicaragua have risen in recent years (2008 ) [/b]
    This page was last updated on 26 June 2009.

This is the first time that the bolded text has been used and indicates that we have a rising problem that all need to be aware of. It is [b][u]not[/u][/b] labeled as money laundering but simply the movement of cash.

I believe that as a free and open democratic society Costa Rica will see an increase as other means of movement are shut down.

Andrew
    Keymaster

1. When questioned, the writer – Scott Oliver – recalls that he first wrote the article in response to a VIP Member email about five (??) years ago and, although the information was accurate as of the CIA World Report at that time, since the CIA ‘update’ it regularly with information they know non-thinking humans will believe is true, you won’t find it there now… Scott Oliver tries to keep his article up to date because he’s sick to death of yet another pathetic example of the pot calling the kettle black!

2. Although the “writer” – a Wall Street veteran – has NEVER been involved with any “money laundering,” he has helped his non-US investor clients to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in sophisticated offshore investments and he’s not unfamiliar with offshore banking, multi-jurisdictional offshore structures and tax advantaged, multi-currency, globally diversified and fully hedged investing …. He understands better than most people who do not have this experience what’s possible and what’s not.

3. The writer is deadly serious about this topic after studying many, many books/papers on the topic and certainly after reading Alfred McCoy’s ‘The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade’ more than a few times… Just the sections of the book that he’s highlighted in yellow would take up 50 pages to reproduce here… The writer wonders how anyone with a brain can be “serious” about anything that comes out of the CIA.

4. The writer would like to encourage any human capable of critical thought to use “up a couple of minutes” reading non-CIA sources like McCoy’s book and perhaps lighter reading like Gary Webb’s articles…

“For the better part of a decade, a San Francisco Bay Area drug ring sold tons of cocaine to the Crips and Bloods street gangs of Los Angeles and funneled millions in drug profits to a Latin American guerrilla army run by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.”

Of course Mr. Webb wrote this before he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun … TWICE?

And have you ever wondered why the CIA was also knows as the ‘Cocaine Importing Agency?’

Ever wondered why US troops are protecting opium crops in Afghanistan?

Scott

davidinBali

As a voracious reader of the news I had to challenge the Miami gentleman’s claim because I’ve never read anywhere that anyone, government or reasonable individual, considers that quote “Costa Rica is the center of money laundering operations for the South American drug cartels.”

So no smoke, no fire.

maravilla

Was it a shotgun Gary used? I don’t remember reading the type of gun he shot himself twice in head with. For some reason, I thought it was a small caliber gun? But it’s been a long time since i read Dark Alliances and the aftermath of him ticking a lot of people off by telling the truth.

sprite

Let’s take a poll to find out how many brainwashed idiots there are out there. How many people believe that ANYTHING the US government says or prints is for our benefit?

I have put all those who believe that the US government is a well meaning institution in the same category as those who believe that saying a few Latin words over a dry, round cracker will turn that cracker into the body of Jesus Christ. And as far as I can tell, those gullible, naive people are legion and our fates are in their hands….which explains a lot.

maravilla

what about those of us who believe in the tooth fairy and the easter bunny??

aguirrewar

if there is a big problem of drugs in Costa Rica there is also a problem with money laundering

bribery

blackmail

people (politicians) on the TAKE??

and if you need PROOF just read the newspapers of CR

how many EX-presidents

don’t kid me on this issue

I have visited CR since 1884 and my wife was born in San Jose in 1955 and lived there until 2002 but goes every year after 2002

Ask her if you don’t believe me

maravilla

there IS a big problem with drugs in this country, and in the most surprising places such as Palmares and San Ramon. at least here they put the crooked presidents in jail; in the US we give them big fat book deals and a speaking tour. just watch local Tico TV and you can see all sorts of interesting news items about this.

In short, the U.S. is putting pressure on Central American and South American countries, to control money laundering. However, the worlds biggest money launderer, is Russia.

sprite

Countries are not the measuring standard. Money has no geography. The banks are international and so called “money laundering” is just another tool the globalists banksters have at their disposal to impose world wide financial terrorism. The end game is total control of the world population and the destruction of nations. They will be finished when they can treat 95% of the planet as animals and slaves.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]In short, the U.S. is putting pressure on Central American and South American countries, to control money laundering. However, the worlds biggest money launderer, is Russia.[/quote]

Care to expand on this?

How exactly is Russia “the worlds biggest money launderer”?

wspeed1195

theirs alot of folks that know alot of stuff,about the drug trade,and wisely, they smile and keep on moving.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The President of the Limon Soccer Club Carlos Pascal was just arrested for allegedly money laundering to the tune of nearly US$30,000,000

Carlos Pascal and his stepbrother Rodney Morrison (who’s in prison in the US) have spent most of their lives in the USA.

They hold both Costa Rican and US passports but according to reports Pascal can barely speak Spanish (habla poco español) [ http://www.nacion.com/2011-06-03/Deportes/Relacionados/Deportes2798885.aspx ]

But when it comes to the main criminal activity here which I believe is money laundering, can we only blame Costa Rica for receiving the money?

Surely the ‘well regulated’ bank in the US (the name was not mentioned) which sent the money to Costa Rica in the first place has a bigger share of the blame?

What do you think?

[ http://www.nacion.com/2011-06-03/Deportes/UltimaHora/Deportes2798912.aspx ]
    [ http://www.nacion.com/2011-06-03/Deportes/UltimaHora/Deportes2798846.aspx ]

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”wspeed1195″]theirs alot of folks that know alot of stuff,about the drug trade,and wisely, they smile and keep on moving.[/quote]

Money laundering is not just money from the sale of illegal drugs …

One definition from [ http://www.fsc.gov.im/aml/ ]

“Money Laundering is the process by which criminals attempt to conceal the true origin and ownership of the proceeds of criminal activities. If successful, the money can lose its criminal identity and appear legitimate. “

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.