need a lyme literate doctor in C.R.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum need a lyme literate doctor in C.R.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Alfred

Lotus,

Thanks, and yes you did give me Dr. Kokayi’s name when our son was suffering from asthma. Our son decided ultimately that he did not want to go into the city, especially because he didn’t have health ins.

I didn’t even think of Dr. Kokayi for my wife. He would be a good choice, being closer than most other doctors using alternative and conventional medicine. If she remains in remission, I think we will need some professional help in order to keep her immune system strong. This cancer is immuno-responsive, but it is so scary that we have to rely on western conventional treatment for the time being, as it is the only proven method of treatment. The major problem with the conventional medical treatment is the side effects of the large amount of radiation she’s been exposed to, by all the scans and radiation therapy she’s gotten already.

Enjoy your stay in CR. You’re just missing out on a nasty snow storm back in NY. Upstate, we’ve gotten about 8-10 inches so far, on our way up to a possible 14″. We’re jealous!!!!

Thanks again, we really appreciate it. Bring back some nice weather with you when you return.

Hola,
    I also live with the effects of Lyme’s disease. I got it about 20 years ago in California and was on Antibiotics for 2 years. Of course back then they didn’t know much about it, and I wasn’t treated right away. My family doc thought Lymes was a made up excuse of an illness. The west coast was and is still way behind on recognizing and treating Lymes. In fact doctors don’t want to acknowledge it exists because the insurance companies don’t want to pay for treatment. My own doc (a dermatologist) that eventually treated me pretends to have a fuzzy memory about my case and claims not to have the records anymore because it has been more than 7 years. My mom is a nurse,they worked together, and she ran the support group in our county and he still doesn’t recall…
    It can be frustrating finding support and treatment in the states and here it’s probably more difficult. Nobody I mention it to has ever heard of Lymes here, but there seems to be a tick borne disease that dogs get here that is extremely similar. Everyone seems to have heard of it and seen a poor dog suffer through or pass on, it is called something like trichinitis. Personally I find Costa Rica to be a great location to live with the arthritis, much less pain for me here than in the california mountains during the winter. For me the pain gets a little worse each year and it seems to affect new areas too, I think that’s pretty normal for us. They say it hibernates in the body and you can relapse. I do know CR has the hyperbaric oxygen chambers here that some people like to use for treatment . So you may be able to seek out some alternative treaments, but probably not though a Lyme literate doc.
    Sorry to babble so much, but your wife is the first person I have heard of with the same condition here in Rica. I wish you tons of luck and if she ever wants a sympathetic ear, I would be glad to listen.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We had a dog die last year from Canine Ehrlichiosis, the tick-born disease.It was horrible. We check our dogs every day for ticks, and ourselves if we have been in the longer grasses around the farm.
    So, all dog owners check you pets!

scara

we are sorry to hear about your dog…what part of the country did the dog get infected in?
    FRANK

scara

thanks FC…if the doctor that treated you WAS NOT a LLMD..then you may still need further treatment..i.e antibiotics..the trick is which third generation antibiotic!
    ! I saw films and met people who claim they are 95 to 100 % better even after having it for many years..so we BOTH may benefit from finding a LYME LITERATE MD.. IF we cannot find one, and so far we haven’t, we might try using a regular M.D. who will allow himself to be consuelled by an american LLMD.. we will simply pay for the american consultation while the c.r doc orders any tests and prescribes whatever drugs they both deem necessary..In the meantime any info you can find about the h.b.o. treatments can be useful..and my wife says she’d love to take you up on your offer to help each other..
    thanks for your concern and your help
    FRANK& ANNA

costaricafinca
    Participant

We live on a large finca in Guanacaste, but Ticks are everywhere. My husband and I have also been been ‘bitten’ by ticks with no bad responses.

Hmmm,

3rd generation antibiotics, I am interested in hearing more.

Scott- Can you pass along my email to them, so that we may further talk? Thank you.

scara

you e mail was not fowarded…get the book the top ten lyme disease treatments…also look on the web( sorry i can’t copy/paste) DR..BURRASCANO..the most knowledgeable ldmd…look at http://www.lyme2net.org under advanced treatments..and get back to us if you need more info..we will be in CRnin 2 weeks

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.