New high speed internet for $50/month?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New high speed internet for $50/month?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bandera

Did anyone hear of the new internet service being provided around Parrita? They claim the high speed service can be placed anywhere in Costa Rica and Panama. All u need is a credit card number to be charged. That is the only charge. The catch is they like to get 5 or 6 people. No charge for the setup that amounts to a 1.2 meter dish and a modem. Anyone tried it?
    Stan

RMelton552

Could you give us a telephone number to contact, as I would be interested in their service!

Thanks!
    Robert

Andrew
    Keymaster

Feel free to post which company this is Stan with the disclaimer that none of know anything about them….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Bandera

Hi Robert
    If I don’t get it today , I will post it tomorrow. I am trying to import 1200 color tvs to Costa Rica and my contact just mentioned it and the last day she has been sick with the flu. If Scott dosn’t mind me mentioning the TVs here, I will knock the price of the TVs down by twice the amount you give to Scott’s favorite Charity. Or Scott would you prefer I take out an ad on your site.
    Thank you
    Stan

Bandera

Like I told the other Gentleman
    My contact is sick today. Isn there only 2 providers in CR Dr. Dish and ICE and you want some form of disclaimer? OK Nobody knows anything about Dr DISH and ICE, including myself even though both have been mentioned on this website
    Stan

robsoilman

I have been a member of Scotts forum for a number of years, but I rarely post anything. This post/reply post regards phone, internet, VOIP, cable, fiber optic, “Skpe” tm, “Magic Jack” tm or anything else that will improve my chances of communications between the world and my little beach hotel on Playa Palo Seco near Parrita.

My Wife and I currently live NC, but plan to become CR residents around April of this year.

Here is our current communication set-up in the USA:

We currently use a slow DSL connection through our local phone company which also is our land line provider (Windstream).

We use AT&T as our Cellular provider (has the removable SIMMs)

We have Long Distance through Power Net Global (PNC) which also provides 2 Toll Free phone numbers which forward to our home phone here in NC and our my wife’s cellular phone here in NC. These are very important because this is how people in North America reach us by phone regarding our little hotel.

Here is our current communication setup in CR:

We do not have a land line available to our property at this time (applied for 2 lines 3 years ago).

We have an old technology “radio phone” at our hotel provided by ICE. It is unreliable and cannot be used for internet or fax. only voice and that is more off than on.

We also have 2 cell phones: 1 of each type they offer in CR (GSM and TDMA I think). The signal on our island beach is week and only works when you are standing on or near the beach or have an external antennae connected – so not a sure thing for receiving incoming calls.

Regarding the new Undersea Cable that connects in Parrita: We watched in great anticipation as they rolled out and installed a new Fiber Optic cable on our beach island, but as far as I know it has never been activated and who knows if they will even extend it all the way to our east end of the island. If that ever gets completed I’ll throw a big party with free beer for the whole island.

Our hotel manager has his own office in Parrita about 10 km from our hotel.
    He has a regular ICE phone line and what they call “high speed internet” via a special modem box (not sure how that works or whether he can make a phone call while he in on the internet.).

Our manager accurrently has a Skype account and uses a VOIP digital (USB connected I think?) phone and can call us on this at our home in the NC very well. The sound quality is very good and it appears to be more reliable for him to call here than it is for us to call any regular land line in CR from NC.
    ? I do not know if we can call him at his office if he is connected with the VOIP phone connected. Do you know the answer?
    We are considering switching our phone service here in NC to a cable company which offers internet, digital phone and TV bundled for less than we pay for our DSL and Phone now. Not sure what to do. Still don’t understand the Skype/Magic Jack debate too well, but trying to learn fast.
    Well this post is getting quite lengthy so I will stop for now and ask if any are willing to give us the benefit of your experience and I.T. expertise.

Thanks and hoping for a reply,
    Robert (Robsoilman)
    Playa Palo Seco, Parrita, CR

fricci

There is more than ICE and RACSA today. Thanks to the market opening other companies are offering services. I know Parrita/Quepos is being services by Reyco and Fratec. Guanacaste is being services by Fratec and Inalambrica….There are others.

I know some of them are already licensed, and some are waiting to get their papers in order….

We use some of them for our customers. with both Fratec and Reyco there is an install fee (arround $500 depending on materials)…and a recurring cost…we pay $300 for a 1mb/s connection…

check them out….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

And there’s an outfit that’s been in business a year here in Grecia that offers wireless access. The cost depends on the speed you opt for but tops out at $33US per month for 1024/512kps. Availability depends on a clear view of one of their other installations but it’s getting more universally available and they’re looking for franchisees to spread to other areas.

Installation will run around $150.

Bandera

Great David
    Try it. I would get a Linsky router. I can put up the model but the output can be upped to 1/4 watt. With an outdoor antenna the WI Fi should go at least a 1/4 mile. Or
    put up a router and split the costs with the neighbors.
    Stan
    President
    BBE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.