New international airport down south

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New international airport down south

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    clayman

In the Tico Times on 11th June they had an article about Osa’s future and one part said

“A proposed international airport in Sierpe, the gateway to Drake Bay, only lacks an environmental viability study before construction begins.”

Is that correct?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Maybe it’s just me being ‘picky’ but the quotation contradicts itself doesn’t it?

If an “environmental viability study” hasn’t been done then they are a very LONG way “before construction begins”, right?

And what amount the money?

Who pays for this airport?

Nobody – in the last five years of us watching this story – has ever given us any indication as to where the money comes from to pay for this new “international airport” which, in flying terms is what? Maybe 25 minutes from our existing international airport in San Jose.

So the “proposed international airport” might be built, if the “environmental viability study” comes out OK (and there are plenty of people who will fight this) and if that goes through, and if we can find the money somewhere then ‘maybe’ we’ll be able to build a small, local airport.

An “international airport?” I really don’t think so…

As mentioned in my article in April 2006:

“In Costa Rica where road projects can be discussed for 30 years before anything happens, the planning for a new international airport will likely take a very long time and I honestly don’t think we’ll see a new international airport in the Southern zone for at least 25 years – if then!

The mosquito infested mangrove swamp-view salesmen will continue to tout the fact that the value of your land can only increase because of the new international airport announcement but again, you would not be “investing” based on the news of this ‘plan’, you would be speculating.”

If any of our other VIP Members have important information about this study or the possible financing for this new “international airport” would you please chime in and give us some reliable sources, because I have been unable to find any facts to back up these stories.

You might wish to see my articles:

1. Costa Rica’s Invisible New International Airport (??) Written in September 2005 at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/648.cfm ] and …

Costa Rica’s New International Airport to be Built in the Sierpe Valley – Maybe… Written in April 2006 at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/944.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

2bncr

“The mosquito infested mangrove swamp-view salesmen”

That includes about 90% of all sales people in Costa Rica that I have met anyways.

Have you ever read the part about real estate salesmen in [i]Costa Rica Now[/i]? The author points out that are so few principled and educated ones. Most will dupe the developer into developing and then dupe the buyer into buying, when most of the time the buyer and the developer have no business owning and developing in Costa Rica. The empty white elephant tower in Jaco and now Jade resort in Manuel Antonio stand as testaments to their greed and lack of real estate ethics.

The author goes on about the duty of the real estate salesmen to see the community develop with continuity and about the fact that most salesmen have never studied real estate ethics let alone the principles of real estate at all.

He goes on to point out that there are [u]no disclosure laws[/u] here and that salesmen, sellers, and attorneys have no legal, let alone ethical, reason to disclose any defects in title or the physical property. That is why the author is correct when advocating that a third party professional that does not stand to make money on the deal closing should be hired to investigate a potential property purchase. He also gives great advice about having a “property market” appraised before you buy. That is interesting, a “market appraisal” rather than a property appraisal (value).

So these “mosquito infested mangrove swamp-view salesmen” have no problem giving misleading ideas regarding property value, and potential appreciation over events that most likely will never occur. As you might put it, they are spreading pure “rubbish.” I would choose a less dignified term. Watch out and verify everything.

[quote=”Scott”]
    An “international airport?” I really don’t think so… the planning for a new international airport will likely take a very long time and I honestly don’t think we’ll see a new international airport in the Southern zone for at least 25 years – if then!

To be “an international airport” you only have to have one flight into or out of another country. This area is close to Panama, and I suspect it would be convenient for expats to fly to Panama from here on their required periodic departures from Costa Rica. It wouldn’t have to be a huge airport, just one runway and an immigration official to check passports. Might not be as unrealistic as you think.

Andrew
    Keymaster

A “regional airport” is a very different creature to an “international airport.”

Having a small plane land in Sierpe from Panama does not make it an “international airport.”

Having flights from New York, JFK or London, Heathrow land in Sierpe most definitely does make it an “international airport.”

Nothing whatsoever has happened in the five years since I wrote the first article but I guess time will tell…

Scott

Scott, My only point in mentioning this is that our idea of “international” airport is a large airport like the one in San Jose, but using Wikipedia’s definition, the developers you mention could certainly call it international, while it really would be more of a regional airport by the definition of the masses. Lots of developers will use any trick they can to bump up prices.

Wikipedia defines international airport and note they say that most airports in smaller countries are international airports:
    An international airport is an airport typically equipped with customs and immigration facilities to handle international flights to and from other countries. Such airports are usually larger, and often feature longer runways and facilities to accommodate the large aircraft commonly used for international or intercontinental travel. International airports often host domestic flights (flights which occur within the country) in addition to international flights. In many smaller countries most airports are international airports, so the concept of an “international airport” has little meaning. In certain countries however, there is a sub-category of limited international airports which handle international flights, but are limited to short-haul destinations (often due to geographical factors) or are mixed civilian/military airports.

In any event, like you, I believe it will be many, many, many years, if ever, before a truly international airport would be built in the south.

*Lotus

I think we can all agree that when ever the idea of an”international airport” is raised for the Southern zone, the implication is handling flights with Jets from many international destinations.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.