Nicaragua Railroad

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nicaragua Railroad

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

I don’t believe this incident happened in a vacuum. If this guy had been Canadian would the outrage and witch hunt have been so onerous and persistent? As for the US helping out all the little guys in Central and South America (and beyond), you had better do some research into what we did in Argentina, Panama, Ecuador, and Indonesia, for starters. I’ll bet the presidents of Panama and Ecuador who were assassinated when they wouldn’t play our game have a very different take on things. It seemed clear from all the news I’ve read about this incident that he was being targeting simply because he was a gingo, so why was that? Hey, maybe he did it. I guess we’ll never know.

*Lotus

It seems this young guy has gotten caught up in some shady third world politics as well. In an interview transcript I read He apparently was trying to tell the police how to do there job etc. P***** off the chief of police and came off as an arrogant gringo..I wonder what motivation the other guy who was a suspect had to point the finger at Volz and then received immunity from prosecution. Of course I don’t think this is fair but he may have dug his own grave, now lets hope he can get out of it if indeed he is not guilty.

maravilla

Isn’t telling people how to run their country what we do best? My impression of Volz is that he was arrogant and smug, a bad combination in a poor third world country. That doesnt justify being railroaded for a crime he may or may not have committed, but I think he probably ticked off a lot of people even before this all happened and the chain of events was just the trickle-down effect.

scottbenson

Well to tell you the truth Panama wants the gringos back! I used to know Panama city like the back of my hand prior to 2000. I used to travel to Panama twice a year for the military.

Yes we did help out Panama in thousands of ways and they did feel a lose of money as well as other issues that was created by China. To this day the Panama goverment is asking for the U.S to come back.

As for the other countries I have been to Argentina on humanitarian missions for floods. Indonesia, the U.S. was the largest supporter with airlift power during the last issue.

The problem is where you are getting your information! You read what a small amount of what really happens in those countries.

I bet you are even thinking that what happend in El Salvidor that the U.S. was at fault!

*Lotus

Scott I agree the U.S. has been there to offer support to countries in need. And as a people many are generous and caring. But our government has the dark side, you need to get off the defensive a little bit…put the flag down. Read “The Peoples History Of The United States” no you won’t find this stuff in the U.S. History books in a typical Minnesota High School or on a government web site. But what we did in Korea, Argentina, El Salvador, Haiti, Nicarauga, Panama, Vietnam and on and on…Quite simply Scott our weapons of mass destruction have killed over 600,000 of Gods children in a country called Iraq!!!! 600,000!!!!!!!!!!! I guess all that powdered milk we sent to some poor slob cancels that out. Scott I like you, pure midwest, salt of the earth…but I think the military has brainwashed you just a little bit….anyway they are the first to admit thats what they do…you’re not going to kill for Bush if you think he represents reprehensable policy? I will give you all the wonderful things the U.S. has done, but you are going to have to look into some of this other stuff…it’s not all warm and fuzzy. I love the U.S. my “freedom” here, some of the people and I hope some day we won’t be so greedy that we s*** all over the rest of the world in the name of democratic expansion.

scottbenson

Wow, lotus, sounds like some one has been brain washed by the libs.

Lets talk abut El Salvador for a example. Since I was just in El Salvador and took a tour with a El Salvadorian tour guide that explained the whole war in about a hour and a half to me, I have a perspective of a El Salvadorian.

What do you think El Salvador would be like if the U.S. did not suceed in the intervention?

Do you think that today El Salvador would be where it is if it were not for the U.S.?

Another example that is brewing in todays history is Darfhar? What would happen if the U.S. interveend in that mess? Why are all the actors in hollywood asking for U.S. intervention and not pounding on the doors of Islamist and demanding their intervention?

You say that our weapons of mass destruction have killed over 600,000 of gods children in a country called Iraq! (you do have the wrong numbers) How many do you belive that the Islamists have killed in Darfhar? just because they are too black and not Islamic enough! I can tell you it is a lot more than 600,000. What about the Islamist themselfs how many have they killed of their own people in Iraq! It is far more than what the U.S. has done.

Why is the U.S. always to be blamed if they do or don’t help other countries in their time of need? I belive it is because many gringos are too spoiled and have nothing more too do than complain about their goverment. They would rather close their eyes than see what the rest of the world is really like.

The differnce between us is our experiances, I personally learn more by what I see and hear in real life than what I read or hear by a news media. Because of the Military I have been to many countries that you can only read about! I have seen with my own eyes why the people ask for U.S. intervention when death is around each corner.

maravilla

There is a good “history for dummies” movie called “Salvador” that quite accurately portrays what we DID in that country. And all this brainwashing by the libs stuff is pretty childish. The US has routinely overthrown democratically elected leaders and then replaced them with our puppet govts that better serve our interests. That is undeniable. Yes, we give aid to these countries, but in exchange for the aid, we want resources and lots of them, and if that leader doesn’t concede we call those big fat IMF/World Bank loans and bankrupt the country, or in the case of Ecuador, we blow up the president’s plane. Read “Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.”

diego

Ok. I have been reading this stuff. But let’s speak about the real world for a second, and that is the US is not entirely benevolent or entirely malevolent.

So all can continue to argue their rightness and all of you are right and are wrong. It is, how it is, and sometimes you have to be loved and sometimes you have to be feared.

Now what about Chavez taking control of the American ran oil industry in Venezuela and diverting production to China? We at home have found a ton of oil in the Gulf of Mexico and cannot seem to reach a consensus about extracting it or not.

This is a current issue that affects our future; I believe it to be relevant. So, will we assassinate Chavez or exploit our own huge pool of black gold? Regardless of who polices the world (or the neighborhood) there is going to be both justice and injustice. That just how police work is in the real world. Leadership to a certain extent needs to be saint like and Machevelian.

*Lotus

Scott you still only present(see) one side of things and as always there are two(at least). I am not “bashing” the U.S. but won’t live in ignorance either…..I’ll just stop here. Like Diego said it is what it is…we may just process the data differently.

Roark

Scottbenson, thank you for your service, if it wasn’t for America the world would fall into chaos within a generation.

Roark

600,000? Where did you find this number?

Edited on May 01, 2007 19:10

scottbenson

Wow, do you believe that movies portray real life?

If you know much about El Salvador it was a issue of property that was owned by rich land owners who were generations of Spaniards.
    Then when the peasants rebelled the land owners created death squads that would kill these peasants’. The rich land owners that were governors of 14 provinces because their were 14 families were back by communisis countries.

Years later and thousands of dead people the U.S. got involved and backed the poor peasants.

Fast forward to today and after the war the U.S. pumped in hundreds of millions of dollars to rebuild El Salvador! I ask why didn’t the communist countries send money to rebuild El Salvador!
    As the lady that gave the tour stated if it were not for the gringos to rebuild El Salvador it would still be in a devastated country.

A brief history of this lady, she was moved with her family to the U.S. because of the war. After the country became stable she moved back to help her country rebuild.

Regarding some of the sources that you stated I would have to ask what kind of authors are these people. Do they have a motive behind their views.

Again I only believe what I see, I would suggest you take a vacation to El Salvador this summer and find out for yourself!

So if we learn somthing from this history do you belive that we should ever get envolved in humanitarian issues like Darfar? Somalia? or any other country that is in need of justice?

What would have happend if during WWII the U.S. would not have gotten envolved? Didn’t the U.S. get blamed for not becoming pro active when Uk and other countries were getting bombed??????

How ever remember this posting is about a young man that is living in Nicaragua! He is living in a country that is highly nationalist and would not give him the time of day or a fair trial.
    Do you belive that he needs to take some responsibilty for living in a volital country and not expect the U.S. to come and bail him out??

Edited on May 01, 2007 20:00

Roark

Oliver Stone made that picture, so it must be true!

scottbenson

Thank you Roark, I have been serving our country for over 20 years now. I probley will be retiring this next year just because my wife and I have decided to go back to CR for my wifes family. Since my wife and I are expecting our 1st child and we thought it would be important for our gringi tica or tico to grow up with their cousins we are going to move to where her mom lives and where our home is in Tres Rios Cartago.

Roark

Congratulations! That is wonderful. God bless you and your family.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.