Nicaragua Railroad

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nicaragua Railroad

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    *Lotus
    Roark
    *Lotus

Yes.

rf2cr
    Participant

Scott –

We echo Roarks thanks for your service, it is people like you that allow others to say some of the outlandish things they do. Would love it if they could accept both the good and bad.

We lived in Paraguay for 15 years under Strossner, many of our friends there were American and British Military and we saw much of what is good about America while living there. While elections for Strossner were fixed and he was a dictator supported by the American government it was the first stability the country had in a very long time, before Strossner they were going through 3 or 4 changes of government a year, the economy was in the pits. With a great deal of aid from America he turned the country around with low crime and a certain amount of prosperity. Haven’t been back in 20 years but at that time it was a great place to live (even on a Paraguyan salary).

No matter how you look at it, this country has made some mistakes but in my experience the good far outweighs the bad, we just seldom hear about the good!

Ruth

Alfred

ScottB, Congratulations, and thank you for your service.

*Lotus

Just accept the good and the bad?
    “While elections for Strossner were fixed and he was a dictator supported by the American government it was the first stability the country had in a very long time,”

Are you kidding me?

Roark

Lotus, Do you believe that pre-war Iraq had a better mortality rate than any other middle eastern country including Israel?

maravilla

Fixed elections? Happens all the time in politics — look at Chile, Peru, etc. As for the US supporting the peasants in Salvador, well, THAT would be a first. We never support the peasants and that’s how all the trouble started in Nicaragua when we put that bombaclot Samoza in power.

maravilla

“if it wasn’t for America the world would fall into chaos within a generation.”

The world IS in chaos!! Hellloooooooo?

scottbenson

Lotus, you do belive that the person that made the comment stated above lived under the rule of Strossner. In fact i beleive they said “We lived in Paraguay for 15 years under Strossner” Do you belive that they might have more of a insight than you and I?

Would you state that their opinioun would have more weight than ours since they lived in the situation??

This is the problem that many gringos are having, living in the media and not really know what its like for the boots on the ground such as the person that lived under Strossner.

happygirl

The world has always been in chaos!!

Roark

Do you think America is a force for good or evil in the world Maravilla?

harvcarp

The odds on her reply are 100,000,000 to 1!!!

harcarp

*Lotus

I don’t think it matters what I “believe” but if I had more time possibly I could comb thru available data and draw some kind of conclusion. I do believe the people that put out these numbers are credible though. We now have 20/20 hindsight and it is clear this war in Iraq was a mistake and even if you don’t care for all the Arabs being killed look up how many young Americans are dead, look up what a lot of them think about this war. The last official # was over 24,000 American soldiers wounded and maimed…and lets not forget about the mental damage done to these folks. No weapons of mass anything, most in there army did’nt have boots! Now we are there trying to police a civil war, these tribes don’t want peace or a unified Iraq or DEMOCRACY(The British and French learned this in there democracy spreading)…someone in the Bush administration should have read some bloody history books. Just out of your misplaced patriotism you want to hang onto your belief we are doing the right thing because we are America…well I’m not un-patriotic because I am willing to say we are doing the wrong thing. SB goes on and on about how much the world loves us and all the countries we have saved, never once has he mentioned any of the atrocities we have committed and the fact that a lot of the world does’nt like us. You know why we support right wing dictators everywhere because they are easy to control, they do exactly what we want them to do they don’t have to answer to anyone, show me a banana republic we are supporting and I’ll show you an american corporation doing business there..How short are your memories? Don’t you remember all the pictures of Bush sitting and smiling with Saddam? Remember before we invaded Panama we were tight with Noriega, when it benefited our cause we armed the Taliban We support MAOIST CHINA!! I live here, vote here and work here and I will voice my opinion thats how democracy works….we don’t all have to wave the flag and say god bless america like a bunch of droids to be american and a patriot. This country was founded by disidents, those who thought outside the proverbial box they rebeled against there country and government when they felt things were not quite right and just. You want to hear something really cynical…Saddam did a much better job keeping that country running than we have because he understod it. He was a brutal dictator and killed and crushed his enemies (and we could care less, before the Kuwait invasion most could’nt tell you where Iraq was) and we are doing the same..killing our “enemies” does god really take sides as his sons and daughters are being killed? If there is a god is he smiling down on our government and military as it does it’s killing in Iraq Singing along to god bless america….Believe what you will and I’ll believe what I will, and I encourage you to pursude me with sound arguments and facts to challenge the way I’m thinking, I really do love to learn and evolve. Maybe I have this all wrong?

*Lotus

I don’t watch news on tv and some of those that lived in Germany in 1940 thought Hitler was’nt doing a bad job…see what I mean. Not living there does’t exclude me from coomenting on her statement about fixed elections and living with the good and the bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.