Nicoya Rain

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nicoya Rain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jamesgoshen4

I will be on the Nicoya Peninsula in the next two weeks. Has there been a lot of rain? I know the road from Malpais to Samara has a couple of river crossings that are not passable when the rains are heavy. Did this trip in the summer of 2001 and it was no problem as it was a dry.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”jamesgoshen4″]I will be on the Nicoya Peninsula in the next two weeks. Has there been a lot of rain? I know the road from Malpais to Samara has a couple of river crossings that are not passable when the rains are heavy. Did this trip in the summer of 2001 and it was no problem as it was a dry.[/quote]

I would say that it is “doubtful” as we speak and if it will be 2 more weeks then it will really be doubtful. The Rio Ora just south of Carrillo and Estrada is impassable at the crossings but you can go around (extra 35-40 minutes) via the bridges through El Carmen and Santa Marta. As far as the Rio Bongo, I heard that it was passable last week (4×4, high clearance only) but that was the last I heard.
    Good luck and safe travels,crb

jamesgoshen4

Thanks CRB. What is the travel distance via car from Liberia to San Miguel. I would think that the route would be from Liberia to Nicoya to Carmona to Cerro Azul to Bejujo to San Miguel. No river crossings there…correct?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”jamesgoshen4″]Thanks CRB. What is the travel distance via car from Liberia to San Miguel. I would think that the route would be from Liberia to Nicoya to Carmona to Cerro Azul to Bejujo to San Miguel. No river crossings there…correct?[/quote]

I would think it would be about a 2 hour trip, maybe a little more depending on weather and road conditions. I have never taken that entire route so I’m sure you can get much more reliable information by contacting one of the local hotels, like Crystal Azul http://www.cristalazul.com/

Safe travels,

wspeed1195

You can drop pin your locations, start, finish on google maps and it will give you travel times. I use it all the time.
    It often also gives alternate routes.

johnr

[quote=”jamesgoshen4″]Thanks CRB. What is the travel distance via car from Liberia to San Miguel. I would think that the route would be from Liberia to Nicoya to Carmona to Cerro Azul to Bejujo to San Miguel. No river crossings there…correct?[/quote]

The crossings are safe from Carmona to San Miguel however the road is in tough shape right now. (If you take “the Carmona Road”). If you take the road that goes up through Los Angeles (past the Cerro Azul Coffee Farm) the same but the road is even worse. Most of the streams have been bridged and the ones that are not are only door deep on a bad day. It will be 2.5 hours from Liberia to San Miguel in the light.

It’s been raining pretty much every afternoon. Sometimes pretty heavy and yes the folks at Crystal Azul will give you an update

He says the surf has been fantastic the last two weeks!:lol:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.