Off-Grid Solar House

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Off-Grid Solar House

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    alexander69

Hola,

We are looking into being “off=grid” meaning total solar powered house and a well. If anyone has done this, and I will be shocked if no one has as ICE is a big pain in the ass, please let me know of your experiences. We are not going to give ICE 25,000 dollars to run poles to our home site and then turn around and give them the rights and land. It is absurd. Any solar experience is appreciated.

Saludos,
    Alexander

wspeed1195

I’m curious also.so,to get the e-mail ping for this thread I’m posting.
    what I do know is that here in S.fl A guy I met spent 7 grand for panels and the eqpt. to transfer/convert the energy to a viable source.
    his home is 2800 sq, ft.he has to surplus it with 1066 Kwh of Florida Pillage and Loot (FPL) energy,which is 128.00.
    he has whole house heat and air,all the luxuries,ALL.
    I learned alot about go green when I was selling solar hot water.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Have you read Vicky Longland’s article about Jason Borner and his solar energy at company [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/408.cfm ]

Jason’s website is at: [ http://www.poderco.com/ ]but I haven’t spoken to him in about five years…

Scott

alexander69

[quote=”Scott”]Have you read Vicky Longland’s article about Jason Borner and his solar energy at company [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/408.cfm ]

Jason’s website is at: [ http://www.poderco.com/ ]but I haven’t spoken to him in about five years…

Scott[/quote]
    Thanks Scott. It is hard to believe that many folks aren’t on solar or wind energy in CR. Any others that have experience with this please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

Saludos,
    Alexander

rohays

Alexander,
    Would you mind being reporting back to the forum from time to time as you pursue an off-grid solar system? It wasn’t that long ago that PV systems were not cost effective, but today initial costs have decreased significantly and with proper planning in terms of looking for ways to reduce load, PV systems are not affordable, though not cheap.

While I’m still in the U.S., solar power is an area I intend to pursue when I arrive in CR.

Good luck in your quest. Believe you are on the right track

guru

Off Grid:

The first word in being off grid is sacrifice. Off grid systems not only have limitations but also often have lots of down time. Folks that live off grid usually have alternate cooking and lighting systems.

CR has lots of rainy cloudy days and solar may not be as dependable as you want. The best alternative systems are multi-source. Solar and wind rely on batteries for night and low wind situations. These can often run out of power unless you have a very robust system. Back-up from a propane or diesel generator may be needed for those down times.

Modern wind and solar electric systems are electronically controlled and work together seamlessly. Other systems such as solar hot water, motor generators or small hydro may have to be controlled manually at times.

All these systems require maintenance and it REALLY helps if you can do most of it yourself. While the electronic systems are wonderful the higher the tech the more difficult to maintain short of replacing whole systems.

The best systems in the U.S. are those where you “bank on the grid”. When you make power it reverses the meter to credit your bill but when you don’t make power its available from the grid at no cost until you use up your credit. Very dependable and practical. I do not think they do this in CR but ideas spread.

I’ve worked in small hydro and seen a lot of systems with lots of down time and high maintenance. Lots to think about.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Our neighbor is always having problems with solar panels , but luckily he has them just for a water pump at his pond.
    In regards to the ‘rainy cloudy days, even here at our location in sunny Guanacaste we have had nearly two months of heavy rain, nearly every day.

ticopaz

[quote=”alexander69″]Hola,

We are looking into being “off=grid” meaning total solar powered house and a well. If anyone has done this, and I will be shocked if no one has as ICE is a big pain in the ass, please let me know of your experiences. We are not going to give ICE 25,000 dollars to run poles to our home site and then turn around and give them the rights and land. It is absurd. Any solar experience is appreciated. Off=handed comments just to hear yourself ramble is not.

Saludos,
    Alexander[/quote]

Hi There,
    First… what do you want? If you want to live like you always have, solar is very expensive and high maintenance. If you want to have the basic necessities of modern life it can be done for about $10k. It will give you a great feeling of independence and self reliance. I have lived off grid in the past for several years and now have grid, but I use a small 12 volt system for my lightening and a chest type refrigerator (for cold pipas ;-). I also use solar hot water with a grid tied hot water tank for emergencies… that water is cold in the mountains!!

Bottom line is… KEEP IT SIMPLE. I have four 75watt panels and 2 Rolls 400 amp hr batteries. This provides 12 volt lighting to my entire home and runs a 12 volt chest fridge. With a small inverter I run laptop computer, router and satellite television. What it will not cover is a standard style refrigerator, electric stove, hot water or washing and drying machine.

Now, that being said. With a system about 2x this size I personally could run comfortably a energy efficient washing machine (DAY TIME ONLY), Gas dryer, have a solar hot water collector, energy star refrigerator, lights, tele, computer and small appliances.

You learn to wash clothes in peak sun so as not to drain the batteries and other things like this, but basically it can be done with a lot less than the Solar Dude tells you!

As mentioned by another member it is a little more difficult in the rainy season, but with proper energy management on your part it can be done.

Oh.. and would probably need a separate small system for your well so add another 3-4k. Call it 15k and you will be enegizzzed :-)) and tell ICE no thanks… thats what I did 😉

Hope this helps,

TicoPaz

alexander69

[quote=”ticopaz”][quote=”alexander69″]Hola,

We are looking into being “off=grid” meaning total solar powered house and a well. If anyone has done this, and I will be shocked if no one has as ICE is a big pain in the ass, please let me know of your experiences. We are not going to give ICE 25,000 dollars to run poles to our home site and then turn around and give them the rights and land. It is absurd. Any solar experience is appreciated. Off=handed comments just to hear yourself ramble is not.

Saludos,
    Alexander[/quote]

Thanks

Hi There,
    First… what do you want? If you want to live like you always have, solar is very expensive and high maintenance. If you want to have the basic necessities of modern life it can be done for about $10k. It will give you a great feeling of independence and self reliance. I have lived off grid in the past for several years and now have grid, but I use a small 12 volt system for my lightening and a chest type refrigerator (for cold pipas ;-). I also use solar hot water with a grid tied hot water tank for emergencies… that water is cold in the mountains!!

Bottom line is… KEEP IT SIMPLE. I have four 75watt panels and 2 Rolls 400 amp hr batteries. This provides 12 volt lighting to my entire home and runs a 12 volt chest fridge. With a small inverter I run laptop computer, router and satellite television. What it will not cover is a standard style refrigerator, electric stove, hot water or washing and drying machine.

Now, that being said. With a system about 2x this size I personally could run comfortably a energy efficient washing machine (DAY TIME ONLY), Gas dryer, have a solar hot water collector, energy star refrigerator, lights, tele, computer and small appliances.

You learn to wash clothes in peak sun so as not to drain the batteries and other things like this, but basically it can be done with a lot less than the Solar Dude tells you!

As mentioned by another member it is a little more difficult in the rainy season, but with proper energy management on your part it can be done.

Oh.. and would probably need a separate small system for your well so add another 3-4k. Call it 15k and you will be enegizzzed :-)) and tell ICE no thanks… thats what I did 😉

Hope this helps,

TicoPaz[/quote]

Thanks Ticopaz and everybody. That was very helpful. We do not plan on being in CR in the rainy season. For our part of the country that is May-Nov. Our house will sit on a mountain and it has strong winds and LOTS of sun. We are looking to into a tri-plex line to the house as a back up just in case. We have to have permission from one land owner to run the line ourselves and have a meter at the road. About 1150 feet. I know it can be done and if need be we will go totally solar. We are already R-R-R people so being mindful wont be a problem. I will keep you posted as things progress.

saludos!

Alexander

gzeniou

Hi,

I’m no expert on this but I do know a bit about solar. As we have a 4.3 KW system and 64 square feet of hot water panels in North Carolina. Yes, you can do this, don’t let anyone scare you off. Our system is grid tied but the only difference is the charger and the batteries. The most important thing to start though is a site evaluation. This will determine solar, wind or hydro or a combination. If you go with Hydro and have a good clean reliable source with great head, I would not even get a backup system, for the other two I would get a small propane generator. Anyway, study your site, I’m sure you can get it to work and for $25,000, you should be able to get enough batteries and equipment to supply a load of at least 12kw per day. We only use 6kw on sunny winter days (as have passive solar) but in the summer with AC and a pool running 5 hrs a day, we use a little over 20KW. Of course you can get a large propane tank and use it for cooking, backup hotwater, dryer and even refrid. decreasing your power greatly. If your not into TV and you use efficient appliances and a little propane, I bet you can live on less then 6 kw per day. A high efficient refrid about 21 cubic feet uses about 1kw per day, figure on a KW for your water pump, A high efficient washer gets about 250 watts per load. Anyway you get the point.

gzeniou

oops, one thing I didn’t mention is be cautious with wind in Costa Rica, It may actually be too windy for safe operation of a turbine, I have seen several get blown away in the states with much lower wind then you can expect in top of a mountain in Costa Rica especially during the dry windy season.

tropicals

[quote=”alexander69″]Hola,

Saludos,
    Alexander[/quote]

Good Day;
    I have a friend who started a Spanish School and Eco Hotel next door in Nicaragua and has gone completely off grid now. She has had some trials and errors and would be a good reference for the where’s, what’s and how’s of getting up and running. I am sure it would be much easier in Costa Rica than Nicaragua but probably would use same sources.

She is a great lady and has started all of this after retirement (Boomer). I am sure she would be pleased to give you some advice. She has a website where you could contact here. http://mariposaspanishschool.com/

rcpoppell

I am not expert on solar but I do understand that your batteries are where your money goes.
    You need to design a battery bank that can support your household needs.
    If you ever owned a boat, you know 12v lighting. It can be sufficient for all after sunset activities I believe.
    120VAC for appliances, fans and a/c is a bigger challenge.
    you have to do a load analysis and work backwards to batteries and pv cells or wind turbines. Use of propane can eliminate some electrical load requirements.
    You should plan to have your battery area designed for easy access to do maintenance, natural ventilation to dissipate heat away from living areas and protected from water intrusion. You need to plan for multiple alignments to support failed cells and failed batteries. That might mean loss of certain loads while maintenance proceeds. Judicious planning in the distribution panel will support this.
    You also need a maintenance plan with periodic actions to ensure battery life. Storage of acid might also come into play. An you will need money to replace old batteries and a place to dump them (maybe for a fee).

tomstew1

Alexander:
    I just got through doing some research on it for my house (which is on the beach and requires ac). It would cost me $42-$50,000 to be able to crank out and store the kw’s I need to run ac’s….so for me it wasn’t cost effective. You being in Puriscal where ac is really not needed so much, would be far less expensive…I called the guys that advertise on AM Costa Rica and they quoted me some prices bases upon my daily kw needs.
    Daily kw need is the first thing you need to determine…There are alot of online calculators for this…

Hope this helps.
    ts

alexander69

[quote=”tomstew1″]Alexander:
    I just got through doing some research on it for my house (which is on the beach and requires ac). It would cost me $42-$50,000 to be able to crank out and store the kw’s I need to run ac’s….so for me it wasn’t cost effective. You being in Puriscal where ac is really not needed so much, would be far less expensive…I called the guys that advertise on AM Costa Rica and they quoted me some prices bases upon my daily kw needs.
    Daily kw need is the first thing you need to determine…There are alot of online calculators for this…

Hope this helps.
    ts[/quote]
    Thanks TS,
    Nope, we will not have A/C as it is not needed as you mentioned. Our biggest challenge now is the well pump and pool pump. I will keep you posted. Thanks! A.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.