Off-Grid Solar House

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Off-Grid Solar House

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

A participant in this forum, GreciaBound, has figured out how to use photovoltaic panels to produce the 24 volt (I think) power he needs for his pool pump. You could search the forum and maybe send him a message.

alexander69

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]A participant in this forum, GreciaBound, has figured out how to use photovoltaic panels to produce the 24 volt (I think) power he needs for his pool pump. You could search the forum and maybe send him a message.[/quote]

Thank you David, I have figured we will need 12.5 kwhs per day to power everything including pool pump, water pump, fridge and washing machine and the misc. stuff. I will look him up. A.

vriggle

[quote=”rohays”]Alexander,
    Would you mind being reporting back to the forum from time to time as you pursue an off-grid solar system? It wasn’t that long ago that PV systems were not cost effective, but today initial costs have decreased significantly and with proper planning in terms of looking for ways to reduce load, PV systems are not affordable, though not cheap.

While I’m still in the U.S., solar power is an area I intend to pursue when I arrive in CR.

Good luck in your quest. Believe you are on the right track[/quote]

Same here! I really want to do solar, wind, or hydro when we get to CR next year. Please keep this thread going and tell us all how it works out. I did see some adverts in the Tico Times too (yes, we subscribe and yes, I know some of you think it’s too negative, but it helps us as we prepare for our move.)

Thanks!

*Lotus

We were also looking into at least a partial solar set up. One of my concerns was the possible theft of the panels or other equipment. We are at the beach and gated, which means we just have a guy with a shot gun at the entrance. The entire development is quite large, semi protected as well by natural boundaries.
    Anyway this was a concern since the equipment is quite expensive.

costaricafinca
    Participant

While we don’t have any solar panels, we have had power poles stolen, twice, so yes, this is going to be an ongoing concern.

aenaze1

[quote=”alexander69″][quote=”DavidCMurray”]A participant in this forum, GreciaBound, has figured out how to use photovoltaic panels to produce the 24 volt (I think) power he needs for his pool pump. You could search the forum and maybe send him a message.[/quote]

Thank you David, I have figured we will need 12.5 kwhs per day to power everything including pool pump, water pump, fridge and washing machine and the misc. stuff. I will look him up. A.[/quote]

That seems pretty lean. Your avg household will use about 30kw/day.

If you are going to build for the long term >10 years you should oversize as the system degrades by about .5%/year. After 15 years you might have to replace an inverter. If its roof top you also want to be sure that the roof can support the size of the array you need to install.

I would be curious to know the permitting obstacles for wind in CR. In the US its a nightmare.

alexander69

[quote=”aenaze1″][quote=”alexander69″][quote=”DavidCMurray”]A participant in this forum, GreciaBound, has figured out how to use photovoltaic panels to produce the 24 volt (I think) power he needs for his pool pump. You could search the forum and maybe send him a message.[/quote]

Thank you David, I have figured we will need 12.5 kwhs per day to power everything including pool pump, water pump, fridge and washing machine and the misc. stuff. I will look him up. A.[/quote]

If you are going to build for the long term >10 years you should oversize as the system degrades by about .5%/year. After 15 years you might have to replace an inverter. If its roof top you also want to be sure that the roof can support the size of the array you need to install.

I would be curious to know the permitting obstacles for wind in CR. In the US its a nightmare.[/quote]

Thank you! I may have calculated wrong. It was a very long (18 pages) of calculations, sort of like a tax return! Anyway, thanks for the roof advice. My builder and architect both know of our solar wishes. We may have separate panels for the well pump and pool pump. Anyway, I am still educating myself and will continue to keep you posted as things unfold.

alexander69

[quote=”alexander69″][quote=”aenaze1″][quote=”alexander69″][quote=”DavidCMurray”]A participant in this forum, GreciaBound, has figured out how to use photovoltaic panels to produce the 24 volt (I think) power he needs for his pool pump. You could search the forum and maybe send him a message.[/quote]

I would be curious to know the permitting obstacles for wind in CR. In the US its a nightmare.[/quote]

Thank you! I may have calculated wrong. It was a very long (18 pages) of calculations, sort of like a tax return! Anyway, thanks for the roof advice. My builder and architect both know of our solar wishes. We may have separate panels for the well pump and pool pump. Anyway, I am still educating myself and will continue to keep you posted as things unfold.[/quote]

Off-grid solar update. Our architect and solar guru have been working together to design our house. We have the luxury of building a house for solar rather than trying to design around a house that is already built. There are very good products out there now. Our pool pump system(separate from the house system) will be 1300.00 dollars, the well pump, also separate will be 1700.00, the house system which we oversized for 3-4 people but only two will be living there, 24,000.00. That is full price for everything, including labor and a honda generator. The panels will be “straped” down or tack welded down for theft issues, although where we live I am not feeling that will be a problem. So, in summary, our costs for electricity will be will be 27,000. Not having to deal with ICE PRICELESS! There will be maintenance for the batteries and such but at the end of the day and taking into account the loss of power where we live and all the other headaches we will avoid it is well worth it to us. And by the way, ICE wanted 25,000 dollars and rights to our land to run a line to us that is sub-standard at best and we would have to maintain the poles! Hope this was helpful and I will update as things unfold. ~A~

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Certainly $27,000 for a solar powered system versus $25,000 for ICE’s installation looks like a heckuva deal. Either way, you’ll have some maintenance costs, but not having ICE’s monthly bill and not having to deal with the occasional outage would be well worth the $2,000 initial price differential in my book.

What’s more, if you didn’t install the pool and its pump at all, you’d really be miles ahead.

I have just one question: ICE wanted $25,000 to bring power to your site, right? Did you get a bid from a private contractor? I just wonder how competitive ICE’s pricing is (or isn’t).

alexander69

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Certainly $27,000 for a solar powered system versus $25,000 for ICE’s installation looks like a heckuva deal. Either way, you’ll have some maintenance costs, but not having ICE’s monthly bill and not having to deal with the occasional outage would be well worth the $2,000 initial price differential in my book.

What’s more, if you didn’t install the pool and its pump at all, you’d really be miles ahead.

I have just one question: ICE wanted $25,000 to bring power to your site, right? Did you get a bid from a private contractor? I just wonder how competitive ICE’s pricing is (or isn’t).[/quote]
    ICE would not allow a private contractor because it needed to be connected up the main road a ways and something about the “main grid”. Did not make any sense but most of how they do business doesn’t make sense to me. We could still run a “triplex” line from the main road. We would have to pay for the poles, line, labor, meter(which would be at the main road) and the neighbor(2000.00) this would all come to about 10,000.00 and we would have to maintain the poles and let whomever wanted to connect to them do so. We moved out there for privacy. There is hearsay that the guy who has the land behind us wants to develop even though it is in a hole but doesn’t have the money for the electricity or well. The same one that wants us to pay him 2000.00 to run them:):):).. More than you wanted to know but you can see how this became an easier and easier decision.` Peace to you. A.

rpulmer

I have a 10K system at my finca on the Sierpe River. Remote location offered no alternative. I run everything through a 3K inverter, and have a “small” GE frig, ceiling fans, plenty of lights, and enough to charge lap top and ipod. If I were to spend more time there in rainy season, I would have a backup generator to charge the battey bank.
    So far (2,5 yrs.) all is well!

alexander69

[quote=”rpulmer”]I have a 10K system at my finca on the Sierpe River. Remote location offered no alternative. I run everything through a 3K inverter, and have a “small” GE frig, ceiling fans, plenty of lights, and enough to charge lap top and ipod. If I were to spend more time there in rainy season, I would have a backup generator to charge the battey bank.
    So far (2,5 yrs.) all is well![/quote]
    Thanks for the information RPulmer. We are going with a 3KWH system with a back up generator. Gas range and oven, gas dryer(just in case) 3 tier HE fridge, led lights and TV. I would like to talk more to you about our progress and just cool solar gadgets in general if you would like to.
    Send me a PM with your email address. If we find that we are using the generator too often in the rainy season I am going to look into a wind turbine. Hey David I’ll let you know the “rules” about that when and if I go that route.

stay dry,

Alexander

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.